Photo

The Park

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (36 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. Good (3 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Average (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

4. Poor (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 georgiegirl

georgiegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

I agree The Park is a very welcome addition to the area and we now have a truly great local.

I must admit though that I am a bit miffed by 2 comments made in previous posts relishing the fact that there were no kids in the bar when they were in there.

We spent a very pleasant Sunday afternoon in The Park with our 2 (non) screaming kids, relaxing and playing trivial Pursuit, and are delighted to be able to have this opportunity on our doorstep (our only other option would be a hike up to the Harvester!)

As Martin Horsfield from the Standard suggests “the revamped Park could use its leafy location to attract families.” and what a better pub could there be to take your kids - it’s quiet, it’s opposite a park, it’s clean, has friendly staff and sells Pizza and Chocolate Brownies –seems like a no- brainer to me!

The afternoon we were in there, people with children must have made up about 80% of the customers.
So enough of these Victorian attitudes we have towards children in this country, and thanks to The Park for making us so welcome - we’re spreading the word, and well certainly be spending a few more Sunday afternoons in there with our kids!

#17 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

You tell'em georgiegirl! I'm tired of feeling like a leper when I have the sproggets in tow. They're (generally) the well-behaved, non-screaming variety, and I cringe as much as the next ear-assaulted adult when the decibel levels reach jet engine levels, but I resent the general sentiment that kids are a pain across the board.

I'm sure we've all read the threads about excluded kids who don't feel part of society and therefore consider they have licence to do all that anti-social stuff - how can we blame them if we exclude them from social situations from the word go??

Sorry, off-topic - as you were...

#18 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:28 PM

Its not kids in general that I object to. Its the parents who allow thier children to run around in restaurants and pubs, screaming and climbing on and off of tables, grinding food into every surface around them and generally being obnoxious whist they carry on talking with friends making ineffecutal noises at the children at random intervals.

#19 robpark

robpark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

The park is great, and right at the end of my street too.. the boys are very welcoming and the booze/food selection is fantastic. Since it opened I have been in many times and brought friends from around who now prefer it to other establishments.

can't wait until they have the full food licence and have done up the garden/decking bit.

keep up the good work boys

Cheers

Rob

#20 MissDarts

MissDarts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

Whoa there!
When I said free of kids, I meant free of the ones I look after - I am a nanny! I do not object to parents going out to eat in public with their offspring, in fact, until more parents do it the Victorian attitudes will remain.
I have been in The Park when there have been a number of children in there and it has been perfectly fine (I actually like the fact that the kids are often seen playing games with their parents in there - how often does that happen in this age of iPod and Gameboy?!) Obviously West Norwood is bringing it's kids up right!

#21 jenhon21

jenhon21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

Just heard that Scott and Nick are going to start doing Sunday roasts! No longer do we need to endure the lines in Dulwich for a seat and a slab of meat! Good news indeed.

#22 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:40 AM

Indeed Jenhon!

They started doing roasts yesterday! Myself and Mrs COYI walked down there yesterday. Choice of Beef or Chicken with all the trimmings. We both went for the Chicken which was free range. After watching Hugh Fearnley Whatshisnames programme we look out for that which was commendable and tasted lovely. They even swapped the cabbage option for more stuffing and carrots!

Oh and I beat the missus at Jenga....come on!

#23 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

I had Sunday lunch there too. The vegetarian option was four cheese pasta with tomatoes with salad or vegetables, and garlic bread on the side. Very nice it was too - a huge amount of food!
Rachel
My link

#24 ben

ben

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

I want to add my voice to the chorus of approval for the Park. Having seen the rave reviews on VN, I went down there last night and was very impressed.

It's a great addition to the area, and easily in the same league as the Mansion and the Rosendale. Scott the landlord was welcoming and attentive. When I mentioned that my pint of IPA tasted a bit odd (it was from a new barrel that hadn't settled yet), he immediately took it off the bill...despite the fact that I had drunk 90 percent of it.

The pizza was the best I think I've ever had in a pub (with chilli oil on the side! Excellent) and the starters (vietnamese dim sum and frankfurters) were fantastic.

The refurbishment looks good and has been done with care, and Scott has plans for the area at the back.

The bill for drinks and dinner for three people came to £50.00, which is a steal compared to Rosendale or Mansion prices.

Also, it's a lot closer to central West Norwood (i.e. the station) than you might think. If you are SE27 based and haven't been yet, do yourselves a favour and make a visit!

#25 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

Hear, hear. We are SE19-based, as it were, but decided to blow away the cobwebs with a walk through Norwood Park to The Park for Sunday lunch. We loved it and details of the yum, free-range Sunday menu are already on here. Such was the mood on that sunny day, I even stepped in dog poo in the park and didn't much care.

#26 helenthefirst

helenthefirst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

This pub is amazing. Took my dad there twice when he came down to visit, and had great service and food both times (the homemade horseradish topped off the roast beef very nicely). Planning to go back with friends soon so I can spend more time eating the lovely food, talking to the friendly bar staff, discovering the wine list, and kicking some ass at trivial pursuit.

#27 katb

katb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:35 AM

Finally popped in here last night - wow! What a difference to what went before. First visit won't be the last.

#28 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

Had a pleasant lunch in here yesterday. They are offering vegetarian sausages or burgers as an alternative to the Sunday meat roasts.
Rachel
My link

#29 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

Popped in yesterday late afternoon and it seemed really quiet. Lovely place, but is it too far away from the triangle to attract the clientle they so desperately want??
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#30 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

but is it too far away from the triangle to attract the clientle they so desperately want??

Probably. I have only been three times and I live in West Norwood.

It was busyish at lunch time. All but one table was either occupied or reserved.
Rachel
My link