Photo

The Park

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (36 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. Good (3 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Average (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

4. Poor (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

has this pub got a website? just curious - planning a trip there for newst week-end or thereabout
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#32 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

I don't think so, but if you google it there are s a couple of reveiw sites with photos.
Rachel
My link

#33 katb

katb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

Another fab Sunday lunch here yesterday!

A very useful pub for anyone in the Crown Point / Elder Road catchment area, and only a short bus journey from the triangle / West Norwood.

#34 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:06 PM

I'd just like to add that anyone thinking it's a tad too far from the triangle should be aware it is literally only a ten minute - surprisingly pleasant - stroll. Probably just enough to fire up your appetite...

#35 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

I really wanna go and visit now.

#36 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:08 PM

I'd just like to add that anyone thinking it's a tad too far from the triangle should be aware it is literally only a ten minute - surprisingly pleasant - stroll. Probably just enough to fire up your appetite...

downhill ;)

#37 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

its walking back (UP) thats the problem!

#38 determinedmoth

determinedmoth

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

It's a nice enough pub - although I find the decor of the place a bit sterile. Vast improvement from the other local pubs.

I feel I have to chime in on the "kids in pubs" subject though. I don't think it's Victorian of me to think that they shouldn't be there. I have nothing against them, I just don't think it's a healthy environment for them. Adults gather in pubs to drink, and more often than not, get drunk. With getting drunk comes all the other standard behavior - boisterousness, aggression, swearing, etc - like it not - that's why some people go to pubs. I have nothing against that either - but it's certainly not a healthy environment for impressionable kids.

Would these parents ask for such behavior to cease, I wonder, in the presence of their children? Or will you accept that this has, and always will go on in Pubs?

Having said all that - I probably wouldn't take kids on buses either - for much the same reasons!

#39 MissDarts

MissDarts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

I had a fantastic roast lamb at The Park on Sunday, cooked to perfection! The vegetables were also cooked beautifully - a rare thing in most pubs. I was amazed at the enormous amount of food for the price too, especially as some of the other pubs in the Norwood, Peckham Penge area are charging nearly 4 more for lesser quality. Well done The Park, sensible pricing and fabulous food!
The service was, as always, exceptional and the new decking area at the back is a great place to sit, private and comfortable... I didn't think they could do much more to make me happy, but they have! I am off to their quiz night tonight, last week was a hoot (although it proved just how much I DONT know!)
I have heard rumours that they may be adding a BBQ at some point... I'm going to have to move in!

As an aside, the comment about boisterousness and drunkeness stopping one forum member from taking his/her kids to pubs... you obviously haven't been to The Park, because I have never seen anyone go over the top in there and I am in there quite a lot. As for swearing... you can hear that just walking down the street, do you ask everyone you meet to stop swearing when your offspring are around, I doubt it. Sure enough it is yet another sign of the decline in our society that we are growing to accept such behaviour but I am sure that a few carefully timed trips to the pub with your children isn't going to scar them for life.

#40 determinedmoth

determinedmoth

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

You obviously didn't read my post thoroughly. I don't have kids, and I have been to the Park.

Pubs are for adults. I think it's irresponsible to take children into pubs. Aside from that, they are also an annoyance.

#41 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

Moderator's Note
Further discussion of children in pubs would be better placed in a new topic

European.vote - EU Referendum

#42 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

I am really glad we had a VN social there as otherwise we would never have been to this nice corner of the neighborhood. The bus connection is great - took us in a flash all the way down the other side of the hill, to near our home on the PengeBorderlands.

#43 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

Took a friend from Dulwich to the Park for Sunday lunch and he was most impressed. It was a bit quiet though - hoping people were kept out by the nice weather (though there were a few people out in the garden) and that business is doing well. It such a good addition to WN and the guys that run it are lovely!

#44 Bond

Bond

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:17 AM

I've been to the Park - not often enough - and enjoyed it. A vast improvement on anything else nearby !

I'd be tempted by the quiz tho' - is it every Thursday, when does it start and is it well attended ? Also, i assume they do food beforehand ?

Grateful for any advice.

#45 clairy

clairy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

The quiz is every Thursday now. It's a really good quiz with lots of rounds on various topics. We were just in there for a quick drink the night they did the first one and ended up doing the quiz, coming second and winning two pizzas! They do food every night.

I really like this pub and it's become our regular local now. I'm just worried it's getting enough business. We were in on Saturday night and it was very quiet.