Photo

The Park

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (36 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. Good (3 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Average (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

4. Poor (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 pipistrellus

pipistrellus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

If you haven't ventured down to The Park, I heartily recommend a trip there. It's by far the nicest pub in the local area, the guys that run it are friendly, the food is fantastic and the quiz night is always a good laugh. And it's neither pretentious, nor trying to be.

The good-sized, peaceful beer garden has had a major revamp over the last couple of weeks and is now looking gorgeous, featuring a swanky new undercover area with leather sofas and lovely planting!

Some serious competition for the CP pubs during the summer months? I certainly hope so - it puts all of the beer gardens up the hill to shame.

Lovely place and the guys that run it deserve plenty of trade. Pop along the next time the sun's out... It's at the bottom of Central Hill - take the 432 - and the buses stop just outside.

#62 Jemsie

Jemsie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

Went over for a pint of cider and a roast last night. We had roast lamb- loads of meat, roasties and plenty of veg- delicious!!! The garden out back is really gorgeous and a wonderful place to while away a summer afternoon/evening. Very impressed!!!

#63 Petal2009

Petal2009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:00 AM

Been going to the Park quiz for a while now. It went off the boil a bit but now the regular guy is back it's fantastic. The topics are completely different every week - this week it was serial killers and Britain's Got Talent amongst others. There's a lot of attention to detail - full quiz packs, good music, and the delightful Debbie McGee gives out paper and pens and always has time for a chat when she collects the papers in. Best quiz in London. Good atmosphere, good food, and the quiz jackpot is now 170. What more could you want?

#64 lots29

lots29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

defnitely the best pub food and atmosphere. Always welcoming and friendly and never had a bad night. Keep it up boys

#65 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

Am I missing something? We went a couple of weekends ago and took a look at the menu, but were not very impressed with the choice. There was hardly anyone in - though maybe everyone was in the garden at the back? Had one drink and went up to the Palace, feeling mildly disappointed. :(
aka Pie

#66 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

Popped in the other evening. Very nice inside & the beer garden was pretty busy. Bar staff friendly.
Rest of the pub was pretty empty though.

I would imagine when the new block of flats on the corner is open it might get some more regular custom.

#67 pipistrellus

pipistrellus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:24 PM

Am I missing something? We went a couple of weekends ago and took a look at the menu, but were not very impressed with the choice. There was hardly anyone in - though maybe everyone was in the garden at the back? Had one drink and went up to the Palace, feeling mildly disappointed. :(

The menu is quite small, but the pizzas are worth getting excited about - they're fantastic and certainly better than any others I've had, either in the UK, or in Italy! The guys that run the pub make all the food from scratch and the quality shines through.

It can be quite quiet, but that's due to the pub's location. I recommend booking a table for the excellent quiz on a Thursday (it's always mobbed) and giving the place another go. It's friendly, welcoming and peaceful and easily head and shoulders above all the other pubs in the local area for service.

What's not to like?!

#68 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:12 PM

Our next Social Event on the 17th July is being held here:

http://www.virtualno...?showtopic=7677
Nick, Forum Moderator

#69 p0plar

p0plar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:18 AM

My husband and I finally made it over to The Park last night, and we are so glad we did - what a gem!
Friendly staff, lovely atmosphere, and absolutely delicious pizzas!
Can't recommend it highly enough.

#70 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Does anyone know if The Park are having their usual Australia Day quiz this evening? Was great fun last year....

#71 peade1

peade1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

Does anyone know if The Park are having their usual Australia Day quiz this evening? Was great fun last year....

Sorry for the late reply. I was working late and have only just seen your message. They are having the Australia Day - and Burns Night - quiz but it's on the regular Thursday night (28th). They're even having Scott on barbie duty - can't get much more Australian than that. It's a fiver to get in. Cheers

#72 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

Met a friend here for Sunday lunch last weekend and had a very enjoyable afternoon. Lots of families in there with their sprogs running around, which is usually enough to make me hot foot it elsewhere (hello? Are we in Dulwich or Balham? I don't think so!) but still managed to find a quiet spot which was almost like having our own private dining room! The food was pretty good and the two staff that served us were really friendly and helpful, so I can highly recommend it in terms of service and atmosphere. Sadly it was too chilly to sample the garden so will have to come back once the sun's out.

#73 cathyh

cathyh

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

a large group of us had sunday lunch here yesterday, the garden was lovely and cool, the food was excellent, vegetables cooked to perfection, service with a smile, overall a very good experience, will be returning soon.

#74 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

has anybody been there lately? Is it still as good?

I am planning to meet somebody there next weekend for a glasses and perhaps a bite to eat.

...palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#75 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

I was in there last Thursday and it was lovely! Only tried a bit of my friend's food, but it was nice - and the pizzas looked great.
xx