Photo

Social Event in November

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Social Event in November (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be able to come along?

1. Yes, definitely (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

2. Yes, hopefully (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. No, but maybe on another occasion (10 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

4. No, not interested (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hi James,

I'm coming next week so I'll buy some cat treats please.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#17 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

Thanks Gekko and Silver... can you PM me to let me know which ones you want and how many tubes you'd like.

If anyone else that is coming to our social event would like some of these treats have a look at the web site for Treats For Pets and then PM me with details of what you'd like and I will bring them along. In case anyone is wondering what the big deal is on these treats they are very high quality freeze dried ingredients (e.g. 100% fish or prawns or chicken with nothing else added) but often out of stock in the shops. If you've got a cat you'll understand how fussy they are about their food, so if you find something they like its tough not to be able to get hold of it again. The dog treats also use top quality ingredients - way better than you'd usually expect. The treats are dried and come in resealable tubes so they stay fresh.

Any questions or orders please PM me rather than post on the forum - and if you are coming to the social event don't worry you won't be badgered into buying anything from me. It is still a social event after all! :)

European.vote - EU Referendum

#18 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:16 AM

James, I will just have a tenners worth of cat treats: you choose if its not any trouble.

#19 Acorna

Acorna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

I voted on the poll my lack of interest in meeting before reading the thread, where I note that James feels quite strongly that people who log in to this forum should consider attending a social event, and he seemed a little unhappy that the majority of the people registered don't make any effort to attend such events.

I suggest that this is because the majority of people who log in here do not do so to develop a social life, but to find out about the Norwood area of London. I think the hint is in the name of the forum, which is "Virtual Norwood". Almost by definition, if it is "virtual" it does not involve real life meetings :)

That is not to say that meetings and social events are not appropriate, or should not be welcomed/encouraged, simply that I hope it is not a prerequisite for being part of the forum, or that any pressure is put on people to attend...

#20 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:37 PM

There's no pressure or expectation. You can see there is an option in the poll for "not interested" and I'm happy for you to decide whether you want to attend or not. My frustration in the support was really to do with how the notion is received on our forum - with over 1500 members you would have thought that <5 votes would indicate an almost complete lack of interest.

With the exception of perhaps a couple of events - one that got caught up with football fixtures and another with London Fog - I think that our social events have always been successful and been well attended. The usual turnout is between 10-15 people. However, somebody has to sort out the dates and venues and get it promoted and there's no money changing hands... I'm happy to invest the time but not if its not wanted and I have to drag it out of everyone. It's tough love when there are hundreds of people using the forum and just a handful make the effort to click on the poll and say whether they are interested. That's what bothered me. I had higher expectations of clicks, not attendees.

b.t.w. we once organised a buffet at a christmas meeting because we had support for it

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone this coming Wednesday - attendance forecasts now look quite healthy :)

#21 Sandi

Sandi

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:31 AM

Maybe you should have a response: "I'd love to come if someone would send me the airfare"! :) Not that I'm not interested, just that I'm 3000 miles away. (And if anyone cares, it's snowing out here and I'd love to be in Penge where it isn't.)

Edited by Sandi, 27 November 2007 - 10:32 AM.

#22 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

Maybe we should have a live satellite link-up for a virtual-in-real-life social event ;)

#23 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

Will def be there

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#24 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

Is that a threat dazza? he he he
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#25 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:53 PM

Yep I like to keep in Character know what I mean !

Dazza

#26 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:52 PM

Would have loved to go along and meet some of you but prior comittments dictate otherwise. :( Will keep an eye on this section and, all being well, make my face known at the next social event.

#27 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

It should be an interesting evening... pet treats from me, public order and shopping tips from Dazza and CP Park by Ziwa and Silver, et al.

LizzieC - we may have a social event in December, on the 11th, 12th or 13th. Would you like to nominate a couple of hearing dog friendly pubs that we can consider?

#28 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

Shopping tips ! Are you trying to ruin my reputation James ?

Dazza

#29 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

Looking forward to it .... very curious now!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#30 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

If I make it, it will be late on I suspect. Work is mad today.
Nick, Forum Moderator