• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pussycat

Pussycat

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

I hope this is the right place for this post, I've put it here as I'm not really looking for recommendations for a roofer (though if you have any would love to know!), but more advice on the cost. (James apologies of this is in the wrong place I know there is a string on roofers already).

How much should a new roof cost, or is that the equivalent of 'how long is a piece of string?'!

I have typical Victorian mid-terrace house and have had a couple of quotes to re-roof, both in the region of 8 - 9k (depending on which slates were used).
Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations as to what this would cost, but this seems like a lot. Both companies were members of the National Federation of Roofing Contractors so perhaps you have to pay a premium for the reasurance membership of such a federation offers?
Have I been unlucky and picked the most expensive roofers in south London or is this really how much it will cost? Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas?
I'd be really grateful for any comments or advice.

Thanks!

#2 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

Pussycat I think you have posted your question in the right section.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#3 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:43 PM

I'm a bit hazy because it was over a decade ago, but I think we paid about 8k when we had our roof done in 1997 or thereabouts. Ours is a Victorian semi, with the typical L-shaped roof. We had Spanish slate, which was about midway in price between Welsh slate (smaller carbon footprint but much pricier) and plastic 'slate'. We also paid a bit more to have a leaky skylight replaced by a proper Velux window. So, if you've got the conventional straight roof I guess it might be a little smaller than ours and require less slate, balanced against 10 years' worth of inflation, so 8k may well be about 'right' (ouch!)

But this probably is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions, because other things can bump up the price. Because we already had slate, the existing roof timbers were strong enough, but if you've currently got something lighter on the roof you might have to pay for additional timber supports etc. I think it's probably better to go for someone who is a member of a recognised trade body. We had the roof on the bay window done by a company who initially made a bad job of it; we never quite got to the stage of going to the trade body for help but when we were trying (eventually successfully) to get them to put the work right, it was reassuring to know that we had that as an option.

Edited by HeadGardener, 21 November 2007 - 11:44 PM.

#4 Pussycat

Pussycat

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

Thanks HeadGardner, really helpful as always.

This is as I feared so guess Mr Pussycat and I will need to start saving our pennies, I doubt our roof has nine lives!

Couldn't agree more about going with a member of a trade organisation, especially with something as fundamental as the roof of our house!!

#5 danhull77

danhull77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

Hi there,

Would love to know how you got on, i'm in the process of looking for someone to replace our roof.

Cheers

Dan.

#6 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

I have done a tiny amount of research into replacing my roof (sounds like a similar sized property) and I don't expect it to cost 8k. I would be hoping for something closer to 5-6k. So probably worth casting around and getting a few more quotes.

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

Had a quote three years ago for a complete overhaul of our roof including new girders. It came back at 5,000 - we haven't had it done yet as there are other jobs on the house need doing so we are just using prayer to help keep the roof up at the moment ;) . The firm was D & J Roofing and they are based in Dulwich.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

I think I posted Big Al the roofer details before mob 07932 401488 I'm sure several VN's have used his services before. My family have used him for several projects & can vouch for his quality of work.

Dazza

Edited by Dazza, 11 January 2008 - 02:29 PM.

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig