• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Boblatina

Boblatina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

As an ex-pat Northerner I love my fish and chips but I am not too keen on the average London chippy. (Sorry to any offended Londoners out there)

Can anyone recommend a good Fish and Chip shop in the CP area? It is too far to keep going back to SE5 or the Sea Cow in East Dulwich and Ollies in Herne Hill is a bit too expensive for anything more than a very occasional treat.

All I want is a good F & C place that does proper chips and decent fish AND a good vegetarian option for Dai all in easy reach of the Triangle.

Can anyone help?

love

Boblatina

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:18 PM

We use the one on Anerley Road but only because its nearest. It's ok but we have had a few bad meals from there. I agree there's a dearth of decent chippies in London (I'm a northerner too!). Maybe we should campaign for a new one to open in the area. When we lived in Wimbledon we had a fantastic chippy at the end of the road but have been disappointed by the CP offerings.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

is it too far for you to go to the selhurst park area? doneagles is always good and the friendly too
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#4 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:50 PM

I heard that the one half way down Gipsy Hill was good... but there is that walk back up again...
Love The Triangle...

#5 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:07 AM

Spa Fish Bar on Spa Hill is decent enough.

Tony's Supa Fry on South Norwood High Street is also pretty good.

I miss Tales of The Sea...
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#6 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:33 AM

I don't know the name, but there's one on Westow St, near the White Hart, that I've had FnC from a couple of times and they were pretty good. Had to wait for him to do me a new fish, but the guy who works in there was quite chatty, his daughter / grandaughter was helping out the times I went, seems like a well run shop.
Not sure how it compares to some of the other chippys in the area, but I'm a northerner too and it passed my test.

#7 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:11 PM

Agree with the above. It's under new management as of awhile ago and has improved greatly. Decent range of fish and the chips aren't bad. Nothing special but decent enough. Kebabs are good too.

#8 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

Thank goodness for that... they were pretty bad in there before.

There's one down in Anerley, but I don't know if it's any good or not. I've heard good stuff about the Royal fish bar opposite the bus station
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#9 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:46 PM

Might try the one near the White Hart now then if it's changed hands. Only had fish and chips from Gipsy Hill once and they weren't very good.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#10 davidp

davidp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

The one half way down Gipsy Hill used to be good when it was run by Greek Cypriots; now sadly departed, it's a generic kebab shop. Now I make do with the one on Gipsy Road which is just about passable (points against it for including a pun on the word "plaice" in the name).

Another northerner.

#11 lamb

lamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

Has to be Doneagles. No contest.

#12 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:51 PM

Melfort road fish bar in Thornton Heath. fantastic fish n chips - ive been going out of my way to get proper chips from there for over 30 years.... try it - yummy
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#13 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:32 PM

We get our fish and chips from Knights Hill Fish Bar. In our opinion it's the best one around for miles, although Tales of the Sea came very close.

#14 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

I'll second Tony's Supa Fry on South Norwood High Street. Before we moved in to the triangle, Mrs Come on you Irons lived down there. Couldnt walk past without him shouting and waving, lovely fella. Almost made me feel like a local he did. Turkish Cypriot who didnt fall into the kebab way of things, proper old school chippy.

The one opposite the white hart is pretty good though not a patch on Tony. Off topic i know but what happened to Amby's, now 'Lion' (roar!) same staff same menu etc

#15 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:00 PM

PS Not a northerner, so i wont go banging on about mushy peas/chips and gravy

Pie+Mash+liquor=cockney heaven