• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:16 PM

Oh yeah...... pie, mash and liquor. :wub: Good, hearty grub and I do miss Churchills very much (where is the "sobbing one's heart out" icon?). Thankfully there is a pie and mash shop in Croydon so I'm still able to get my fix.

Won't touch jellied eels though. :o

#17 lovelydai

lovelydai

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

I am Mr Boblatina - hi. If it's pie and mash you want there is always Manze's on Peckham Hill Street, just six miles from this cinema. They're usually closed by two pm, though. And they do veggie pies for us soft gutless vegtarian wimps.

Incidentally we tried the one on Annerley road as it was our nearest - ok, but not The One. We'll keep you posted.

#18 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

There have been some closures since anyone last commented on here. What's the outlook now for a CP-based, car-less, bike-less fish and chip craving?

#19 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

i can reccoment the chippie in Weatherby next door to the post office I cant recall the name but the fish cakes are amazing. Not sure if they have a takeaway service.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#20 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:43 PM

Cheeky moo. I know where you live!

Still hungry..

#21 Yasmine

Yasmine

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

I feel like there is no where to get F&Cs in Palace anymore :(

A pricey but tastly option is the Fish and Chips at the Exhibition rooms mmmmmm

#22 Miss_C

Miss_C

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

another Northerner here...

does anyone know of a decent chippy around West Norwood? we sometimes venture down to Olley's on the bus, and the food there is wonderful but so expensive. I can almost see my dad's horrified face each time I hand over 15 for some fish and chips! Also the fish and chips in the White Hart up in CP is good but they don't seem to do mushy peas

#23 hellnick

hellnick

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

I've given up trying to find a decent chip shop around here - even Ollies was only very average the last couple of times we tried. However, I do have a suggestion for the local pubs with kitchens: how about having a fish and chip night? I've seen this work in village pubs in Somerset - a period between 5 and 7.30 is set to order takeaway fish and chips, you then sit and have a few drinks and then give them the nod when you are ready to leave. That way they can freshly cook and wrap your order ready for you to return home the successful hunter gatherer.

Pubs are having to adapt these days and this kind of service is exactly the kind of thing that gets people into your premises and returning regularly. Good chips are not hard to cook and tasty batter is easy, so I don't know why fish and chip shops fail so dismally. Take care to produce a quality serving and people will remember and tell many people.

#24 nyc

nyc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

Doneagles every time - Whitehorse Lane. It's by far the best.

#25 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

Melfort Road, Thornton Heath chipie is the best... ive been going for over 30 years.....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#26 Plutoblues

Plutoblues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

We get our fish and chips from the Knights Hill fish bar, in West Norwood. Very tasty!

#27 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

Has the fish & chip shop on Palace Parade finished its refurb now?

It's that or go down to the one on South Norwood High St.

Or, anyone know what the Ace Plaice place is like by the Tesco Metro in WN?

#28 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

It's bit out of the way unless you live on the fringes of Upper Norwood, but I can heartily recommend Wendy's on Spa Hill/Northwood Road heading down towards Thornton Heath. Staff are very friendly too, and seem to know most of their customers by name. I can almost feel my arteries furring up at the prospect of my next yummy fish supper.

#29 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

I would recommend Corner Fish Bar, 159 Portland Road, Norwood Junction. Best Fish and Chips I've had since I left Yorkshire.

#30 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

Spa Fish Bar or Wendy's at it's now called is my local favourite. Used to live round the corner from there as a kid when it was Spa Fish Bar.

One slightly off the beaten track is Marlow Fish Bar (down the back of Croydon Road and the road that runs down to Elmers End). Well worth trying.

You don't want a Fish and Chips shop to diversify. Thats what I reckon. I'm always suspicious of fascia that says Burgers, Fish, Chicken & Kebabs. Time and a place for each but don't mix them up know what I mean.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales