• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

I've got a new job starting in January in Hammersmith. Rather than use public transport, I'm looking at getting a Scooter - anyone know a good place to get a decent reliable second-hand bike round here?

M A N G O

#2 Sedgley Warrior

Sedgley Warrior

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

Ooh :unsure: scootering to Hammersmith! Scary - you'd be mad to do that! :P

#3 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:34 PM

I have looked into this before (mainly for a Vespa) and I think there were a couple of shops in Hammersmith and one in London Bridge. If you google it, you might be able to find more.

I do notknow any directly, what stopped me was the lack of garage to park the scooter :-(
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#4 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

Don't know if this is the same place I used to use nearly 20 years ago but it's in the same place! :)

http://www.ahsanscoo...co.uk/index.htm

#5 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:36 AM

Thanks.

There seems to be quite a few decent buys on Gumtree so I may shop there . . .
M A N G O

#6 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:58 PM

I bought a Vespa ET2 through Loot a couple of years ago for 600... ran perfectly and was great fun until someone in stationary traffic opened the door in front of me...

#7 BonBon

BonBon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:40 PM

Try ebay as well, I got mine from there last year for a very reasonable price and it's been a good runner so far.

#8 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

Resurrecting an old thread here but... does anyone ride in to the city, from our area, on a moped/scooter? Have been considering it for a while, as financially the cost per month (if I buy new, that is) is comparable to my monthly zones 1-3 all inclusive travel card (110), but Streatham to Liverpool Street is a fair way... Other half is actually buying a Vespa tomorrow, but he only commutes from Streatham to Clapham, so that makes much more sense.

If anyone does ride in, I'd love to hear the pros and cons please? Thanks :)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#9 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

I don't know about scooters specifically - I ride a Triumph Bonneville - but my journey from West Norwood is now about 40 minutes each way (sometimes less) and I pay about 10 a week in petrol. Although the initial outlay was high, my week-to-week costs are now much lower than they were. And I arrive at work with a big grin on my face instead of muttering like Muttley about how awful the buses/trains/tubes were that day.

I would advise, however, getting yourself some training. I know that you can go on the roads with just a one-day CBT, but it's well worth doing some more training. You can never stop another driver, or biker, or cyclist, or pedestrian, doing something totally unexpected, but you can make yourself as safe as possible with good training and good protective gear.

Good luck and happy riding!

#10 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for that. I think my main concerns are, how long it would take to get to work each day, and what is is like riding in in the winter and/or rain. If I get one, it will need to be a replacement for my monthly travel card, so I'd need to commit to using it every day. I'd give my right arm not to have to use public transport, but at the same time, I feel the cold easily :ph34r: so am trying to be realistic. I guess I'll see how the OH gets on with his over the next month or so and keep mulling it over...
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#11 caoimhe

caoimhe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

I scootered in to Central London for about 18 months some years back, until some scrote stole my bike. When starting out you should expect to spend about an hour on the trip because you'll want to take things a little more slowly. After a few months this should drop down to about 35-40 minutes. Riding in the winter can be a bit more stressful but as long as you've got the right gear you shouldn't be cold. I spent around 300 on cold/wet weather gear and only ever felt the bite on trips over 30 miles or so. The most invaluable 5 of that was spent on a little finger squeegee for clearing rain off my visor. I agree with cha003 that extra training before heading out into rush hour traffic is a good idea, I went out a week after my CBT to tackle central London rush hour (before the congestion charge) and it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. Get used to the bike by taking it on a few weekend rides with a friend so you're comfortable with starting stopping and maneuvering quickly. As for the rain you just need to do everything more slowly, think ahead, allow more time to slow down and stay away from manhole covers and painted lines in the road. Once you get a few weeks into it you'll never want to go back to public transport.

#12 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:03 AM

I know that you can go on the roads with just a one-day CBT

I am not up to speed on the driving laws in England any more, Cha003 could you
tell me what a one-day CBT is please.

#13 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

Compulsory Basic Training - the minimum yoy need to ride a 50cc bike on the road. It's just a day spent riding round cones in a car park which is why it's vital to get extra training if you want to survive the ride to work!

#14 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

The CBT isnt required for a 50cc moped if you have a driving licence that pre-dates 2001 (or something like that). CBT is required for 50cc mopeds if you gained your driving licence after then, and for scooters of 125cc or above, regardless of when your licence was issued.

OH (and his friend) bought their 50cc vespas last night. I went with them to scope out the bikes and gather info etc. They've never ridden any kind of moped or scooter before, so are a little nervous - they are hoping to do a CBT on Sunday, for confidence (which is a very good idea, as Cha003 suggested), before collecting their bikes on Monday. I've asked them to get me a place on the CBT course too if possible, as I would probably get a 125cc Vespa if I go ahead - and I think it will give me a good idea if riding to work is for me.

Thanks for all the info Caoimhe - lots to think about. I was estimating about 35-40 mins, which would save me 20 mins on my current journey.

Does anyone know the difference between 4t and 2t bikes? I wanted to ask in the shop but the assistant was busy processing the sales, and then I was busy trying on helmets :D

#15 BonBon

BonBon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

I've been commuting into Central London by scooter for the last 3 years, initially after just passing my CBT and then doing more training along the way. I would definitely recommend training before you go out on the road, it'll help equip you with the safety skills you need when driving in busy traffic. The CBT is a good starting point, but after a bit more road experience you should then at least try the BikeSafe course (it's only 30 and well worth it). It takes me around 30-40mins to get into town, depending on what time of day, etc.

125cc would be the minimum power you'd want in town to be safe, as you need to keep up with the traffic and having that bit more oomph in your bike can sometimes get you out of danger - when car drivers are too close, etc. In terms of safety it can be a bit hairy in Central London, but you just need to drive defensively and make sure your observation skills are on top form but proper training will teach you all that.

In terms of the cold, I suffer from that too but there are plenty of products on the market to help you get around that - heated grips, leg covers to go on the scooter, heated gloves, etc.

I picked my bike up from ebay for 700 and then spent around 300 on all the gear - helmet, jacket, gloves, etc. Now my costs are about 4.50 per week on petrol and 100 or so on a service once a year. Realistically you won't be able to ride in to town every single day, certain weather conditions would make it too dangerous - snow, ice, gales, etc so you might still need to get the bus or train every once in a while. Plus if you want a drink it's always a good idea to leave the bike at home.

Vespas are good all rounders but bear in mind they're one of the most desirable scooters for thieves to steal so make sure you get a decent chain and disc lock. Also on a practical level, their under-seat storage is pretty minimal so you can't fit a full-face helmet in it.

Scootering to work is great though. I love the freedom of deciding when I leave - it's got me out of many a scrape at work for getting up late!