• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#16 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:22 PM

Agreed the Bikesafe training is very good value for money.

Bear in mind that if you do decide that you want more power than 125cc you will need a full motorbike license. Actually now they judge it on horsepower rather than engine cc's, but it works out roughly the same.

Although having done it, and now having a 865cc bike, I would heartily recommend it!

#17 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for all the info, BonBon!

Just found out we cant do the cbt until Sept 20th, which is a shame - but I am still going to do it to a) help me decide f this is what I want to do and B) qualify myself to ride a 125, and safely. I also agree with leaving the bike home now and then, if the weather is too bad or if I am going out after work, definitely makes sense - and in that respect, the introduction of PAYG on the rail network in January will be most welcome!

Lots of useful andhelpful advice, thanks everyone :)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#18 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

my boyfriend used to commute from Gypsy Hill to Holloway Road (11 miles) every day on his 600cc, it took:
50 mins with bad weather and bad traffic
40 mins bad weather light traffic
40 mins good weather heavy traffic, and
35 mins good weather and light traffic.

when it comes to fuel costs, the tank costs 11 to fill and that lasts 100 miles.

He's not done Bike Safe but certainly the CBT and the larger bike test give you no training on how to filter (go between stationary traffic to get to the front of traffic lights, for example) which is pretty critical when commuting in london (it's the main advantage, really, not having to sit in the traffic). The no.1 rule is stay away from the left side of HGVs and buses!

If you're worried about the bad weather, there are these all-weather covers that some scooters have, which are attached to the bike and cover your arms and legs while you ride.

oh and have a look at the "filtering in elephant and castle" video for an insight

http://www.youtube.c...23#play/uploads

#19 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Thanks so much Claudia - I watched that clip, as the Elephant and Castle roundabout is one I would have to navigate, and I hate driving round it at the best of times, even in a car. It's pretty amazing how a scooter can zip thru traffic like that, and it definitely looks like an acquired skill/confidence thing. Overall, that really made me feel a lot more confident about getting a scooter :)

Have seen those covers you mention, they look a bit like skirts :D
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#20 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

because there were so many replied to this thread with people talking about their bikes, i've set up a new thread in the VN tavern asking what everyone was riding and to suggest good bike routes around here - so everyone please share thoughts! my northern irish biking boyfriend complains about london all the time because there's nowhere nice to ride. So recommendations most welcome.

#21 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

OH is collecting his Vespa this evening, so we went to the shop (Metropolis Bikes in Vauxhall) to get him a helmet and protective gear for riding. I tried on helmets too, but couldnt really find any I liked. Can anyone recommend other shops in the South London area that stock a range of motorcycle helmets?

#22 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

Infinity in Clapham High Street are pretty good plus they do a loyalty card scheme, I got all my gear from them (except the bike because they are Yamaha dealers)

Edited by Willy, 07 September 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#23 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:18 PM

Great, thanks Willy, I saw a few on there I'd like to check out, perfect :)

#24 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:33 PM

We usually use J&S Accessories in New Malden

J & S

but I'm going to go and have a look at Infinity as well. Didn't realise there was one so close!

#25 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

Okay so there are a few in J&S I'd like to check out too! Thanks Cha003! :D

#26 jamie

jamie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:44 PM

I've been scooting into Holborn from SE19 since 2001 (45mins when there's the school run, 30mins without) and it's the best way to commute. I got my old scooter (TS125, 1975) from Scooterworks in Waterloo <http://www.scooterworks-uk.com/>. They are great; Craig--who runs it--is helpful, honest and patient even though I was a total rookie at riding. He still takes time to explain stuff to me.

I did CBTs up in Northholt, Passmasters, (as they have Vespas especially for this) and they were great too. A bit of a trek, but worth it for me.

Happy, and safe, riding.

#27 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

Thanks Jamie. Have got the CBT booked in for a couple of weeks time, and am taking my time browsing potential scooters.

Do all of you who ride scooters wear proper armoured jackets for protection? I keep seeing people riding them wearing ordinary clothes, and yesterday, even flip flops and shorts :blink:

#28 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:18 AM

It's up to you what you wear but but if you wear protective clothing you are much more likely to get away with just a few bruises in the event of a minor accident (obviously this all depends on what type of accident).

It always amazes me when I see people riding scooters/motorbikes in shorts and t-shirts or even jeans - a small accident and they will be leaving a significant part of their skin smeared on the road.

My advice is wear as much protection as you can.

#29 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

Makes sense, Willy. A friend was telling today me she learnt the hard way - skidded on some ice, the road acted as a cheese grater on her knee, was in hospital for a week. Oooouch.

#30 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

Just think how damage you did as a kid when you fell off your pushbike at 5mph...