• 238 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

Moc,
I think that Safety clothing is a must, when you see the road flying
up at you with that strange feeling in the pit of your stomach then you know
why.
I used to scooter up to Soho every day winter and summer and I spent
lot of time on my back lying in the road. The roads around
Battersea had a wicked camber and when wet that was it all over.
I even got knocked off by the first Triumph Stag that I had ever seen
on Buckingham Palace roundabout, nobody came out with a cup of tea
though.
Great fun though and I have a Piaggio now, fast scooter, smart looker.
Oh and a kidney warmer wrap, might not help much now but later in life
you could be glad that you used one.

#32 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for the input Anthony. It all helps. I'm not put off by anything anyone has said - but it does make me realise that I'm doing the right thing by taking my time making the decision - there is so much to consider, and no rush.

I have booked in for a CBT on October 10th, which will give me my first feel of riding a bike, I'm sure that will be quite illuminating.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#33 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

Well it really is a lot of fun, and I would not miss it for the world.
I drive mine on my car licence because I took my test (car) some years
back and am eligible under the newer European laws to ride up to 15 HP
without having to take a mc test. I only found out about this a couple
of summers ago and went straight out and got one.It's a bit creepy on
the motorway but I manage about 125 kmh so it just about works.
I rather envy you Moc the pleasure of riding about the English countryside
and I do wish you a great deal of fun with it.

Edited by Anthony, 16 September 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#34 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:14 AM

I passed my CBT yesterday! Well, they say there's 'no pass or fail', but make it clear if you're not going to be safe on the road at any stage, they wont let you continue. I'd never ridden a bike of any kind before, so I actually struggled a lot at the beginning - which was a bit annoying as I thought I'd be a natural, but we all have to learn - and by the end of the day I was whizzing around Westminster with the other students fairly competently. So I am collecting my own scooter this week, and have decided to take my time and practise locally on roads I know, to build up some more confidence, before I start commuting into the city. All in all tho... very pleased I did it and am looking forward to starting riding! :)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#35 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

Well done, moc! The CBT is a bit nerve-wracking, with only a day to get the hang of things (and although you can't "fail" as such, they can tell you that you have to come back and do it again - it happened to a friend of mine).

Hopefully we'll see you in the ranks of bigger bikes at some point. ;)

#36 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

Today was my first commute into work on my scooter! I bought a Piaggio Fly 125, which I thought would make a great 'starter' bike to learn on - is a nice sturdy, solid, dependable bike rather than something flash that goes too fast. I have been practising in and around the suburbs over the last week, and did a practise run into work yesterday just so I was comfortable with the route. My journey in today, which I took fairly slowly while I build up confidence, took me 40 mins. That was in part due to a diversion at lower Bishopsgate, and cyclists hogging the bus lanes (grrrr). Incredible rush now that I have arrived. And financially I am happy to be spending only 64 a month on the bike, instead of 110 travel card :) Some of the gaps that other motorcyclists squeezed thru in heavy traffic - eek!

#37 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

Woohoo, go you! Rush-hour London traffic has to be one of the scariest things to do on two wheels, of whatever type, so congrats for making it safe and sound. And never ever worry about gaps that other people go through - you go through the ones YOU know you are safe to go through. I often wait rather than squeeze through as my bike's quite big and if that means something behind me has to wait, well tough. ;)

#38 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

Thanks Cha! I'm really enjoying it. I did a bit more filtering today when I felt comfortable with it (is interesting to watch what other motorcyclists do), and had a really smooth journey in. 35 mins today! I'm not going to worry too much about how long it takes etc, but it's still new to me so it's all very exciting. I love the Kennington High Road bit, and even the dreaded Elephant and Castle roundabout is pretty straightforward - can't believe I worried about having to navigate that. I think it was you who said earlier in the thread that you arrive to work with a grin on your face - I can totally understand why! I got in to work early today, so I can leave at 4.30pm, and be home by just after 5 :D

#39 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

Moc - just wondering how you're getting on with the moped commute after 6 months? still enjoying it? even better now the weather's warmer?

#40 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

It was a bit of a hard slog in Jan and Feb when it was SO COLD. But I stuck with it, and now, it is the biggest pleasure. Makes it all worthwhile! I've stopped racing to get to work as fast as I can, I just take my time and enjoy the ride in B)

#41 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

Ooh I would love one! But maybe not for London. But France, now that's another matter.
Rachel
My link