• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:45 AM

I am still searching in vain for any references to Sylvan Estate on the internet without joy.

Funny thing is I now live in France and yesterday I passed an estate agents called Sylvan Immobliers.

I have never seen any other reference to the word Sylvan - can you help ?

Sylvan estate was a "prefab" estate located where I believe there is now one of these new fangled high schools.

Go along Church road towards CP from the Thornton Heath end. Turn right down Sylvan Hill just past Auckland Rise. Straight across the cross roads at the bottom of the hill. (Church on the right?) down to the bottom of the road and there was a park on the right with a bomb shelter and the estate was around the corner on the left.

#2 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

Sylvan means "from the woods," which is why there are so many references around the area.

The school is now a posh 'city technology college' (Harris) and was previously called Sylvan High School. It was built on the site of the old prefab estate in 1974. The park is South Norwood Lake, and has a playground, the lake itself, a cricket pitch, and a couple of tennis courts. It also gives access to the school's playing fields.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#3 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

We used to call the park "the Golf Links" not sure why as I never saw anyone playing golf!
There was an air raid shelter at the entrance nearest the old Sylvan estate.
My mother worked in the cricket club.
Just wish I could find some phot's of the prefab estate somewhere !

#4 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

http://wiki.virtualn...com/Sylvan_Road

What a shock to finally find this picture of the estate and see fully grown trees where I used to live in the 60's.
Not only was I able to see where Sylvan Estate used to be but I could also zoom in on the block in Auckland rise that I used to live in !

From the same picrure I can see that where the scout hut used to be behind the Church (St John's ??) there are now buildings.

How superb is the google system? - I can also see that the wooden buildings at the cricket club beside S.Norwaood lake have been replaced with modern buildings.

Can't quite make out if the house I lived in at the fork of Lancaster rd and Warminster Rd is still the original victorian building or a new one.

Looks like the 2 prefabs on the other side of Lancaster Rd have been replaced by huge modern buildings.

A nice virtual trip down memory lane !!!!!!!!!!! Superb

#5 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:27 AM

Try it in "3D" at Multimap.

#6 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:40 PM

The multimap images are much older than the google ones.
I concreated my patio in Julyt 2007 - Multimap still shows it as grass so I am not sure how old the images are.
(Google shows concrete)

#7 twill

twill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

The age of the " Multimap " images varies My daughters house in Hampshire is shewn with a trampoline in the garden. This being a recent addition to her property ( 14 Months ).

#8 Sasha

Sasha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:38 AM

is there something wrong wit that map site ts crashed me twice

#9 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

Someone must know where there is an old photograph of the estate or a reference on the internet.........
Does anyone know a person that lived there ?
My best guess is that were at least 50/60 prefabs located there.

I have contacted the Harris acadamy and asked if any of the students would be interested in researching the history of the site and they did not reply.

I live in hope

#10 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hi Joe

Give me time and I'll see what I can come up with. It may take a few months or so before I stumble upon something.

One of the aspects which is quite intriguing in the local history of this area is how places can just "disappear" from the record, whether printed or on the Internet. Like Mr Herring's private zoo, with a giraffe house, down in West Norwood in the 19th century.

Edited by andreas, 04 August 2011 - 07:33 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#11 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hi Joe

Give me time and I'll see what I can come up with. It may take a few months or so before I stumble upon something.

One of the aspects which is quite intriguing in the local history of this area is how places can just "disappear" from the record, whether printed or on the Internet. Like Mr Herring's private zoo, with a giraffe house, down in West Norwood in the 19th century.

Many thanks Andreas.
I lived there in the early 60's and remember the bad winter when the snow went higher than the garden gate. In those days even the milk was still delivered in bad weather and left 3 holes in the snow where the milk man threw the bottles in to the garden.

#12 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

I have contacted the Harris acadamy and asked if any of the students would be interested in researching the history of the site and they did not reply.

I have spoken to a member of the academy staff who tells me they have little if anything about the Sylvan High School it took over, let alone anything before. You could try Croydon Local Studies, who have local newspapers and might have a photograph, but perhaps that is where Andreas is looking.

#13 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

Sorry Chris but suggestion is not possible as I now live in France.