• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#16 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:56 PM

Look, stop making judgements about me when you know nothing about my lifestyle. I said I was committed to exercising but not to commuting somewhere to do it. It's got nothing to do with me lacking motivation as you seem to be suggesting in your comments that if I'm not prepared to make the journey its probably not for me. It's got more to do with the fact that I don't have that much time.

My understanding is that this thread is about the possibility of getting British Military Fitness to run classes in Crystal Palace so please quit your smart alec remarks.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#17 OG_Mudboom

OG_Mudboom

• Pending Removal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

Fair enough, if it's not for you, it's not for everyone. Good luck whatever you choose...

Gekko, I've not made judgments, the worst I've been guilty of is mild sarcasm, and as the above quote shows I'm rooting for you ...at least I was.
Re-read my posts when you've calmed down, and stop expecting to find judgement or criticism between the lines, it never existed.
Either they don't know, don't show...or just don't care what's going on in Norwood.

#18 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

when you've calmed down

- how do you know my state of mind when I wrote the post?

and

stop expecting to find judgement

- how do you know anything about my expectations?

You appear to know an awful lot about me even though we have never met :blink: .

-----------
I'm editing this rather than making a new post as I wish to make some final observations but do not want to derail this excellent topic further. The reason for my irritation is that I found your tone to be patronising. I never asked for you to 'root' for me; I was merely passing comment that I am unprepared to travel as far as Clapham or Hyde Park to attend these sessions. I'm not running a marathon or going for a job interview and I wasn't looking for and don't require your encouragement or advice. My comment about travelling says nothing about my attitude to exercise and did not warrant sarcasm. My partner and I have some real issues with our commute and the effect it has had on our spare time (or lack of it). Your retort about that just being a side effect of living in Crystal Palace is no help whatsoever. As I said before, you have no knowledge of my situation so it was inappropriate for you to pass comment.

If you spend much time reading the forum you will know that I have been a member here for a long time and am not prone to look for criticism or judgement in conversations with which I get involved. I get on very well with the people who post on VN, both online and in real life. However, that does not mean I am prepared to stand by whilst someone makes patronising and sarcastic remarks to me.

Edited by gekko, 20 December 2007 - 10:35 PM.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#19 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

Oh, gawd! Where's a big burly corporal when you need one? :(

Edited by GillW, 20 December 2007 - 05:53 PM.

#20 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

Hey, don’t we all live on the steps of the National Sports Centre AND a gorgeous 200 acre park with running, biking trails everywhere? That is one good reason to move to this area….no need to travel far for exercise and green space. Let alone travelling to a flatten, over-trampled, under-vegetated common inside the city somewhere.

Sounds like, with all these tempers flaring we will be glad to see the shortest day of the year pass tomorrow. From then on, days get longer and we can all start smiling again instead of grimacing and baring canines at each other.

#21 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:38 PM

no need to travel far for exercise and green space

Exactly. I think this would be an excellent use of the park so let's try and get British Military Fitness to come to us :) .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#22 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:49 AM

There are some people that excercise best in a group environment (this includes me) because of the extra motivation etc such an environment provides.

However, there are loads of opportunities in close proximity to CP that require no more than a short car journey, bus ride or jog/walk.

There is Beckenham Spa or the Lewis Sports Centre Maberley Road to name just two centres which have a range of classes.

#23 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:51 AM

Me too, it's called living in Crystal Palace! Would never have thought before I moved here, that travelling from Zone 3 to 2, from Upper Norwood to Canary Wharf, could take up almost 4 hours of my day!!

Fair enough, if it's not for you, it's not for everyone. Good luck whatever you choose, but unless you're rich enough to have a home gym, you'll be commuting somewhere! ;)

Mudboom

you must be taking the scenic route to work - it takes up 4 hours of your day???????

Anyways, I agree with Gekko - would like to take part, but only if it's on my doorstep. I love living in CP - as most things ARE on my doorstep..

have a nice day now... ;0)

PS. I have been on the website and added my 'wish'
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#24 OG_Mudboom

OG_Mudboom

• Pending Removal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

you must be taking the scenic route to work - it takes up 4 hours of your day???????

There and back. 2 hours each way sometimes, when I used the now defunct ELL. 3 changes, with the (very distinct) possibility of delays on each or all of them...mainline, east london line, jubilee line. Not any more as I now pay twice the cost for going through London Bridge.

Still, gets me used to longer travelling times for when I move away from this rubbish dump of an area. Crystal Palace stinks...for sale one bed flat, upper norwood, SE19.
Either they don't know, don't show...or just don't care what's going on in Norwood.

#25 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

when I used to work in Canary Wharf it never took me longer than 45 minutes (each way) even with the ELL (2 changes)
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#26 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:46 AM

Where are you moving to, Mudboom?

#27 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

2 hours each way from CP to CW?
Cycle it, you'll be there in under an hour. Consider it free fitness training too.

HTH

#28 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:31 PM

Just a quick update to say that I emailed BMF again and they got back to say they are looking at the following potential venues in SE London:

Lloyd Park (Croydon), Dulwich park, Crystal Palace

Apparently, they are in the process of gaining permissions to run sessions in one of these locations. Might be good for all those looking to get fit in the new year, if it happens in the near future (no timescales were indicated).
Mel, Forum Moderator

#29 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

Great! Thanks for following that up!

#30 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

Im up for this although a little bit scared so keep us posted.