• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

Yes, I'm a little scared too but feel it might be the only thing that gets me exercising as I refuse to spend a fortune joining an overcrowded gym where I'll lose motivation within a few months.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#32 Bond

Bond

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

Do you have trouble with motivation, gekko ?

Only joking....

#33 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

Gekko - gyms get overcrowded for the first 3 weeks in Jan then they get back to normality! BMF is good prob gym will give you some kick off before getting to the BMF + let's not underestimate that a "nice view" in the gym can motivate you to keep on going there :-)
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#34 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

My other half goes to the gym and believe me it gets crowded at other times of the year too, or at least the ones accessible to us do. She often can't complete her programme because she can't get on various machines or access the free weights. I also like the idea of being outdoors - I'm afraid I prefer the 'nice views' of the park and country to those inside a gym :D . I do some walking but not as often as I'd like and anyway it's not really enough.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#35 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

I had a personal training session yesterday and can barely walk today.... When I was training yesterday I kept on thinking : easy peasy...... - well, it definitely worked!!
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#36 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

Went for a walk in CP park yesterday and just watching people run round in the cold made my ears hurt. Clearly I am not Military Fitness material, British or otherwise...

#37 Denny

Denny

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

Went for a walk in CP park yesterday and just watching people run round in the cold made my ears hurt. Clearly I am not Military Fitness material, British or otherwise...

Ah this thread has made me laugh, talk about letting off steam!! I guess that's why we could do with some exercise! British Military Fitness looks like a fab idea, my friend used to do it in Highgate when we lived in North London and she raved about it so getting it round here would be really cool.

Although I do remember talking to someone last year about some kind of fitness group that was run in Crystal Palace Park - not BMF but something a little similar, but I can't remember the details. I'll find out and let people know.

And for the record, I agree with Gekko re travelling. I've trained regularly and at a variety of sports, all my life. But the thought of spending an hour on a bus home, then another half hour or more, on one or more buses, just to do an hour's exercise is the last thing I want to do when I get home! And although the car is more convenient, more often than not you can't get parked anywhere in London!

Good pair of trainers is pretty much all you need if you're exercising to keep fit/weight off - but something like BMF would definitely bring in the 'fun' factor!

D

#38 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

Although I do remember talking to someone last year about some kind of fitness group that was run in Crystal Palace Park - not BMF but something a little similar, but I can't remember the details. I'll find out and let people know.

http://www.miraclefitness.net/

I ahve done it - it was great! It knocked me out and put me back in shape!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#39 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

see also opengym.co.uk

They have a variety of classess in SE London (although none immediately nearby) but they will actually set up a class if enough people get together and contact them.

#40 Denny

Denny

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

Thanks! The Miraclefitness website looks fab! Like a personal trainer but in a group - and looks like even if you think you're fit, you'll end up fitter. Have emailed them for info on their boot camps so if anyone's interested let me know and I'll post some details. D

#41 barbersfort

barbersfort

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

I know someone who did this; although they said it was tough, they said it was very effective and would def recommend it....

#42 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

I did it last summer and it was indeed a geat/painful experience but you feel so soooooooooo good once you've done it. He really puts your through a tough pace and whilst the first week I struggled (I thought I was close to the end of my life) then you catch up and the body feels soooo good and you feel more energetic and alive!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#43 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

This sounds quite interesting, though I think I'd prefer a regular weekly thing to a boot camp. Is this how BMF works, too?

Also, the website had a lot of info on how to pay, but I couldn't find the important bit on how much. Makes a big difference on whether I'm seriously interested or not.

#44 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

Okay, I have some more info on Miracle Fitness. I think it sounds good but like Katsku I too was after something weekly rather than a boot camp. I'm not looking to get into shape within weeks, rather establish a more regular routine of exercise and healthy living. The boot camp works out to be quite expensive - 110 for a month so is not really sustainable over a longer period. I think it's really there just to get you started. Here's the reply I got:

Thanks for your recent enquiry into Miracle Fitness Ladies Only Boot Camps. First let me start by telling you a bit more about Miracle Fitness Bootcamps. It is a Fitness Bootcamp, concentrating on Cardiovascular Fitness, Strength (Muscle Tone), Nutrition, Endurance, Co-ordination and Flexibility. In addition to this and the handouts and all the other surprises you will receive during the boot camp, we are also partnered with many local businesses to bring you the best of wellbeing. Presently we run bootcamps in: Crystal Palace (every month), Sydenham, Brockley, Forest Hill, Tooting Bec, Holland Park, Wandsworth Common.

The bootcamp involves a huge range of drills and exercises to get you fit and fab in the shortest time possible, that is four weeks. Our ladies have seen amazing results in the four weeks and it only takes a read of our testimonials page on the website to see that the design of our bootcamps are making the fit difference. I have also included some of the feedback from our latest bootcampers for you to read. The sessions are three times per week; Mondays and Wednesdays (a 7.15pm start indoors and outdoors) and Saturdays (9.00am - outdoors) for one hour giving you a total of twelve sessions over four weeks. The cost of the Bootcamp is 110.00.

There will also be Pilates classes after the Wednesday boot camp sessions and possibly on Sundays (to be confirmed) and this is open to everyone and cost 40.00 for five sessions.

The Vibe of the camp is fun because of the teamwork involved and because of the work you do as an individual. All we need is you and lots of energy. At Miracle Fitness our focus is to get you fit. Our ladies have flatter tummy's for the first time in their lives, lots more energy, they enjoy walking up stairs, they've shed pounds, they are even asking for more. Do not say I did not tell you, it is addictive because the results are there from day one. The bootcamp is for all fitness levels and it is achievable. This is not a military boot camp. It is a boot camp for ordinary people like you and me. One thing that is frequently said about Miracle Fitness Bootcamps is that it is life-changing. We say, give us four weeks and we'll give you a new you.

Excitingly the next camp starts on Monday 19th January, 2009. If you would like to sign up then let me know asap as I will have to email you some forms to fill out before the camp. Information on the men's bootcamp will be sent at the start of January.
Should you have anymore questions feel free to visit www.miraclefitness.net where you will find loads of information and a picture gallery.

Fight the Fat - Fuel The Fitness

Fernando Lee

Miracle Fitness.

I'm interested in the Open Gym idea and on their website they say that if you can get five people together they will get an instructor down. If there are enough of us interested, maybe we could pursue this route?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#45 Denny

Denny

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

Haven't checked out the open gym website yet so not sure what it's about, but I guess the miracle fitness programme is meant to give you a short sharp booster back into fitness, and keeping fit is much easier than getting fit (if that makes sense!)

I certainly couldn't afford to do it every month but I think it would be good for new ideas and coaching that you could take forward yourself.
I'd definitely be interested if people are planning to organise something weekly, although you really need to train at least 3 times a week to get real results.

I'll keep watching the post to see what's happening!

D