King's College or Mayday Hospital

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:14 AM

Excellent news! Many congratulations to you and yours, Sam.

#17 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

congratulations sam, mrs sam and little sams! welcome to norwood to newsam.

perhaps you could name your new daughter James after the founder of our website?

#18 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

Congratulations!

As for Mayday being not the greatest hospital in the world... at work the head of the Air Ambulance actually refers to Mayday as the Maydie Hospital and they refuse to send victims of serious trauma there whenever possible. Maybe things will improve in the future!
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#19 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

You don't even have to mutate 'Mayday' to be concerned by the name of that hospital. Who would want to go to a place named for an international signal of distress? When I first heard of it, I thought it was a joke. Nominative determinism does happen....

#20 teri267

teri267

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any more recent experience or knowledge of the antenatal care and maternity wards at both of these hospitals? I am favouring King's College at the moment, but would like to find out a bit more on both. So any constructive advice or information would be most welcome.

Thanks

#21 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

Aww, that warmed the cockles of my heart that story!

My friend was offered pretty much any hospital and went for Princess Royal because it's so new and clean. But it's pretty far away! She's got a way to go yet, so can't tell you what it is like. I went to Mayday recently and found it depressing, old and grubby (though maybe only felt grubby because it could do with a lick of paint). Another friend went for Kings because it has a good reputation - especially compared to Mayday.

But all my home birth friends swear by them - not least because you get the same midwife the whole way through the final months!
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#22 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

The birthing centre in Mayday is better than the "ordinary" ward. We had #1 in the latter, #2 in the former, much better... And for #3?????

#23 teri267

teri267

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

I've heard that the birthing centre at MayDay is pretty good, but have been more swayed with the knowledge and expertise of the staff at Kings. It didn't help that my GP referred to MayDay as MayDie Hospital!!

I've only been in the area a year now and luckily haven't had to visit any hospitals, so it is hard to know which is a good choice.

Thanks for the info so far! :-D

#24 cathyh

cathyh

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

Kings has been highly recommended by my friends that went there,I went to St Thomas's which was great. The Mayday hospital is quite depressing but I havn't heard any horror stories...heard plenty from Georges.....