• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:44 PM

Does anyone have any memories of the Star at Broad Green (West Croydon) putting on bands in the 60s? I went there to see Hendrix play one of his first ever gigs in this country, John Mayall played there on many occasions in the days when Eric Clapton was in the band and later when he was replaced by Peter Green, also and Captain Beefheart, Chicken Shack, Champion Jack Dupree amongst many. It was a brilliant venue with an amazingly large room at the back. Popped by head round the door about a year ago and found the place very run down with no reference sadly to its line-up of famous names that once graced its stage. Shame!

#2 gibbons560

gibbons560

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

HI,
I remember the Star with great fondness. I used to go every Monday night when the blues club was on. It must have bee 1965 or thereabouts.
The Stones, Cream and many other famous bands started from there. I remember one band in particular called the Fireballs. Great days

#3 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Wow, what a line up! Wish I'd known, I was schlepping up to Soho to see those bands - though I lived in East London then.

aka Pie