• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Numouse

Numouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

A friend of mine in East Dulwich became excited last autumn that there had been talk of an M & S Food opening in their neighborhood. I don't know the exact location; however, whether speculation or not, it turned out not to happen.

I have quite recently heard that M & S (Food) have been looking in Upper Norwood, at two or three different buildings. Specifically, the old Pizza Hut was mentioned, an advantage being that deliveries/turning lorries etc is more easy than say Westow Hill.

I was wondering if anyone else had heard similar talk ?

#2 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:05 PM

75 square metres of floor space, delicately arranged. Shelves filled with heaps of delicious goodies that make you salivate on sight. This is not just a rumour, this is an M & S rumour.

#3 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

ha ha ha ha

yeah I ahve heard the same rumour re the Pizza hut site whilst the McDonald (I have heard) might become Foxtons .... for the joy of us all!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#4 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

75 square metres of floor space, delicately arranged. Shelves filled with heaps of delicious goodies that make you salivate on sight. This is not just a rumour, this is an M & S rumour.

:lol:
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#5 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

:lol:

Thanks. Couldn't resist :)

#6 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:40 PM

We can't have this for weeks. I'm attempting to put us out of our misery and have contacted M&S to ask. Why did they reject East Dulwich? Mind you, I tried to do this to find out what Ask had planned for that Shecky's/Prezzo site but they didn't reply. M&S Food probably gets a speculative "are you opening round my way?" email every few minutes.

I thought we wanted a Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Where's that going to go, in the McDonald's spot? Must contact them.

And we need to chase up Picture House Cinemas, who could have refurbed and been open by now. The old cinema that isn't the bingo one (not sure of its name) is just sitting there.

#7 Numouse

Numouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

ha ha ha ha

yeah I ahve heard the same rumour re the Pizza hut site whilst the McDonald (I have heard) might become Foxtons .... for the joy of us all!!!

Foxtons ? Surely there are enough bars in the Triangle as it is <_<

Or maybe we got it the wrong way round and Foxtons are going to Pizza Hut - more parking/turning space for all the Minis . . .

#8 randomv

randomv

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

I don't want to be a killjoy and I'd love an M&S on the Triangle as much as anyone else, but I just can't see that it's going to happen. M&S recent success in the food market has been down to carefully selected sites which profit from maximum footfall. After all, who can walk past an M&S on their way home from work and resist nipping in for some easy to prepare yet luxurious food? The problem is that the Triangle just doesn't get that sort of footfall. CP station is too far away and many of the commuters coming into Gypsy Hill are unlikely to pass any of these sites on their way home, so it would never work.
Just my two cents worth..

#9 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

This rumour has resurfaced about every 6 months over the last couple of years. I'd quite like an M&S Simply Food in the area but I'll only believe it when they're putting the sign up!

#10 Numouse

Numouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

We can't have this for weeks. I'm attempting to put us out of our misery and have contacted M&S to ask. Why did they reject East Dulwich? Mind you, I tried to do this to find out what Ask had planned for that Shecky's/Prezzo site but they didn't reply. M&S Food probably gets a speculative "are you opening round my way?" email every few minutes.

I thought we wanted a Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Where's that going to go, in the McDonald's spot? Must contact them.

And we need to chase up Picture House Cinemas, who could have refurbed and been open by now. The old cinema that isn't the bingo one (not sure of its name) is just sitting there.

Spoon :lol:

That is also quite some To Do list !

I notice the M & S site has a part that announces actual new store openings:

http://www.marksands...p;mnSBrand=core

They have a few planned across the country, so dont seem to be too worried about 'the crunch'. I don't know what happened with Dulwich mind you, but maybe my friend had an insider or something.

I had wondered about the Picturehouse matter. I am reliably informed that Gala Bingo have promotional campaigns in place, though am also well aware that they moved over into TV due to falling numbers. As you say, it was perhaps not the only contender. For me, the only thing I would like more than a sauna at the leisure centre, would be something like a Picturehouse. Did they ever come back with interest ?

#11 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:24 PM

Numouse, I was going to start a thread called to-do list when I saw what I'd done to the M&S discussion (as yet no reply from them). A deadline had been successfully met at work and I felt I could do a bit of Norwood campaigning... :ph34r:

Picture House did indeed come back but I have tried to behave and put the info in the existing 'Cinema' thread. Which I am not clever enough to make into a link for you here but they were positive if you want to have a look at that post.

#12 spenge

spenge

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

If a M&S food opened up I would happily get off at Gipsy Hill drag myself up the hill (burn a few calories off so I can buy something naughty!) and buy some nice food then wander down the other side and eat myself silly :P

#13 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

For all those who believe it might happen here's some food for thought.

For the last 2 months Sainsbury's Upper Norwood has not stocked a single organic chicken breast - the reason as explained to me by the manager was that there was a central stock problem caused by a shortage of supply nationally .

When supplies were available they were allocated to stores which had highest demand. Demand in upper norwood was so low that we are near the bottom of the supply list.

Now if Upper Norwoodians can't generate enough demand for a premium product like this when we only have one local supermarket to buy from what does that really tell you about the market for an M&S with it's premium priced food?

Edited by jamesl, 30 January 2008 - 01:57 PM.

#14 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

sounds fair enough

that explain why I could not find it !!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#15 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:14 PM

Me too. Disappointed to hear this - there was debate at Spoon Towers when we couldn't find much that there must have been a run on it because of the commendable ethics of our locals. Evidently not then.