M & S Food

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario... you can't buy the product if it's not on sale.

In light of the recent shock-food programmes on Channel 4 I am buying free-range chicken from now on. If it's not on sale then I'll choose something else. I won't be tempted to go back to non-free even if that is all that is on offer.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#17 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

Agree. Always bought free-range/organic eggs and milk, etc, but didn't think as much about it when buying a ready-made sandwich at lunch time near work, etc. Now I'm extending it to that too. Choice is severely limited as a result but it's a small price to pay. No longer conveniently not thinking about the horrors when it is harder to get stuff you know has been farmed properly. I read recently even the wholesome-imaged Pret confessed to not sourcing their food as humanely as they should, based on price. Their mark-up must be even bigger than you'd think. Should make a packed lunch more often, I suppose.

If more people who could, did buy friendly-farmed stuff, prices would come down because farmers could afford to do it on a greater scale and eventually all farming could be done properly. Long-term, it's not a "rich/poor" debate, as it became in some reports I read. I think that misses the point somewhat. Understandably a slow process, though. If Sainsbury's won't make the effort for Norwood, perhaps M&S will!

#18 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

I always go further a field when I want fresh fish / meat etc....it sounds like there are more people out there that do the same, so if an M&S, fishmongers / butchers opened up, im sure it would do well, instead of giving all the trade to other areas.

: (
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#19 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

I have to say that I don't usually buy my meat and fish at the Sainsburys in CP. I do a monthly Ocado shop and then we top up from M&S at Victoria station and the odd visit to Sainsburys, or Tesco on Anerley Hill if we are desperate! The Sainsburys in the triangle, I mainly use to top up on things like bread, dairy products and veg at the weekend. I don't think the variety is that good so I would only really use it for basics. We were having a dinner party on Saturday and ended up driving to Sainsburys in Sydenham as we couldn't take the risk that the one in CP would have everything we needed in stock - previous experience of them not having simple things like fresh lasagne sheets has made me wary of relying on them. Were there an M&S in CP, I would definitely use it at the weekend. I probably wouldn't bother during the week though as it's not really on my way home. Judging by how popular the bakery is, I do think there is a market for this but the question is how sustainable it is throughout the week.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#20 keitha

keitha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:43 PM

I've noticed the decline in organic stock at Sainsbury's too - so, unless we buy it, we won't get a wider range. And I don't think an M&S would be a benefit, or a goer - a lot of commuters in the area can buy at London Bridge or Victoria instead of hiking up to the top.

#21 sampilger

sampilger

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

I would love a Simply Food in the Palace, but maybe it is a good thing if it doesn't arrive as I would become the fattest man on the triangle. Having it a safe distance away (Beckenham, West Wickham, Balham, etc...) is good for the waistline...

#22 ToodlePip

ToodlePip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:11 AM

Just a comment re organic food. I discovered a while ago that Sainsbury's do organic frozen veg. Of course, nowhere ot be seen in the one in CP. I speculatively ordered an online shop and included a load of these (and a Duchy org chicken for good measure) expecting the delivery to come from CP and hence be replaced by a load of on org things. It all turned up. I'm guessing online delivery is being provided by a bigger S. somewhere else. Just a tip for those of you who really want organic.

Edited by ToodlePip, 31 January 2008 - 11:13 AM.

#23 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

I also buy organic where I can and have done for years. I'm disappointed at the lack of organic options in the CP store and the Selhurst Park one is no better. Another point about the huge surge in demand for organic chicken, it takes years for producers to switch to organic, so current demand isn't likely to be met in the short term. Hopefully there will still be momentum when there is more supply.

#24 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

ha ha ha ha

yeah I ahve heard the same rumour re the Pizza hut site whilst the McDonald (I have heard) might become Foxtons .... for the joy of us all!!!

If foxtons do arrive, do we need to start calling our area Dulwich Village?

Have always wanted to sneak a peak in that tower!
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#25 Numouse

Numouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

This level of boundary creep being a hypothesis, or a definition ?

:lol:

I think a hypothesis. Mind you, looking at my A to Z, there is no area actually defined as Gipsy Hill, merely the station name is shown.

The geographically nearest seems to be Upper Sydenham. Having said that, I don't think my A to Z even has the name Upper Norwood in it.

Still, I personally feel the landscaping and architecture at the bottom of the hill do echo Dulwich Village. Very pleasant too.

#26 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

Dulwich Village

I thinks estate agent has already been turned to stone for that stretch of the imagination!
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#27 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

well the Southwark part of Gipsy Hill is part of the old Dulwich Manor - and Dulwich Estates remains the freeholder of a number of leasehold properties - so I suppose it's worth a try - though it would definitely be South Dulwich rather than Dulwich Village.

When I lived that side of the hill I always called the area Crystal Palace or Upper Norwood - Time Out might think that Gipsy Hill is an area, but what do they know about south London?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#28 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

Going back to the subject of free-range chicken in sainsburys - I too have been fully converted by Hugh Thingy-Wotsit on Channel 4. Couldn't buy a free-range chicken for love nor money in Sainsburys a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't the only person sighing over the poor chicken selection, and it wasn't as though the shelves were bare because they had sold out - they were stuffed with standard chickens instead. Difficult for Sainsburys to gauge demand if the supply isn't there in the first place.

I emailed Sainsburys' customer services who said they are looking into increasing their free range stock in all their stores and will pass my comments on to the store manager, so fingers crossed for more free-range options across all food types. And boy does M&S coming to the Palace get my vote! :lol:

#29 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

Well done, Miss Chips. If they don't stock them, the only way they will know people want it is if they tell them! I'm going to do the same (I suggest others that want free-range to the same).

#30 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

I've badgered the poor old meat manager there every time I've gone in since 10th December about this but I don't think the message is getting through- they sell them at the large saver centre in lower sydenham and I can't belive that that market is any more sophisticated than ours so why do we get left out ?