• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

If you want to read the story of Fitzroy in historical-fiction style, a great read is This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson. He really did have a fascinating life, I had to check up what I was reading was true (albeit elaborated upon, no doubt).
Later chapters are set in the house in Church Road.

#17 Toadburger

Toadburger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

Yes, the room in which Fitzroy died (mentioned by Ziwa as being the only room that was haunted) was the 'washroom', in which his wife says he took a razor to his throat. His uncle, Viscount Castlereagh, had used a letter opener for the same purpose. I wonder how much the house has been altered inside. I got the impression that it had been converted into flats, but it would evidently be easy to pinpoint the original 'washroom' (was this the bathroom, or his private dressing-room?) by the hauntings.

#18 Mrs Oswald

Mrs Oswald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:44 PM

The account of the unhappy event given in the Croydon Chronicle and East Surrey Advertiser of 6th May 1865 describes the room as his dressing room. Fitzroy had locked himself in and a forcible entry had to be made before it was discovered what he had done.