• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 ben

ben

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

Sorry James - no doubt there is a topic covering this, but I can't find it...

WHERE ARE THE RAILINGS THAT SHOULD BE GOING ROUND ST LUKE'S????

Has the whole project died in some sub-committee of Lambeth Council?

I would happily give up a couple of Sundays to help install the bloody things myself.

Edited by ben, 11 February 2008 - 03:01 PM.

#2 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

What's wrong with the lovely fence thats there? I think it adds character ;)

#3 Hogsflesh

Hogsflesh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

I'd love to know what's happening with the railings too. It seems a shame that the beautiful job that was eventually done on St Luke's Gardens has been left unfinished. The last piece of information I can find is in the Norwood Action Group minutes from June 2006, when it seems the project was temporarily halted because of a disagreement over the specification of the new railings and the budget implications of changing the spec.

These seem to be the most recent Norwood Action Group minutes, so I don't know what happened next. Does anyone know whether the NAG is still operating? I assume from the state of the site that it's now defunct.

#4 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

NAG is still operating. Apparently there was a meeting just this Tuesday evening at Lancasters. Now we have no Norwood Forum or Norwood Area Committee there is no easy way to find out about anything. It's very frustrating.

#5 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

I look after NAG's web site. It was set up as a blog so that the committee could post notices and minutes directly to their site. However, they haven't been doing that recently even though the facilities are still in place.

Upvote / Downvote - Vote with a Tweet

#6 Hogsflesh

Hogsflesh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:55 PM

Sorry James, I didn't realise it was your site! Good news that NAG is still around. It would be great if the minutes were updated. I used to find them a very handy source of local information. Maybe that's some incentive for the committee members...?

Any info on the railings situation?

#7 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

Have asked my usual source about the railings and will report back ... :ph34r:

#8 richard moore

richard moore

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:22 AM

I happen to sit on the executive group on this project as a rep from Nag.

As ever there is a sorry story.

Before Xmas we were supposed to have seen a final design casting for approval by English Heritage This was being organised by the Council . Well there was supposed to have been a meting in Jan but this was cancelled as even those at the centre who are not council officers can not get any answeres!!! Good old Lambeth.

The good news is that on paper at least the designs are of the highest quality.

Hope this helps

Edited by richard moore, 14 February 2008 - 01:22 AM.

#9 Green Man

Green Man

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

I heard someone say that the builders have gone bust?

I really would like to believe that it isn't simply Lambeth Council's incompetence.

#10 richard moore

richard moore

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:31 AM

I can confirm that the builders have not gone bust- however a previous contractor on the railings did but that is life . One of the many many many delays is that the approved plans for the railings were wrong (signed off by lambeth council) It was only the sharp eys of the communty members which stopped production of railings aabout 1 metre high when they were supposed to be of variring heights from 1 meter to in places nearly 2.5 meters. This whole project has been a mess with thtreats of legal action from one contractor.

This is the last time that I get involved in a communty project as what should have completed years ago is still no complete. In real terms this is a small project with "the big boys" in as advisors.

As a result this has gone way over budget - is late- and wiith no definate end in site.

The grass looks good though-- needs a cut soon

#11 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

The crocus are pretty too!

#12 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

A propos the railings, my Lambeth source tells me:

Based on the last update I received in January, railing samples were being manufactured for approval by English Heritage. Test drilling has already been done. Once approval is given by English Heritage, a programme for installation would be agreed. I'll update you when I get information about the current position.

So, some progress, but we're not there yet ...!

#13 ChristineT

ChristineT

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

Just had a Labour Party newsletter through my door in which there is news about the revitalised St Lukes.
Quote - "The final touch to the project will be restoring the original cast iron railings which will be about 2 metres high. Samples have been made and once these are approved by English Heritage the railings are due to be installed within the next few months. Val Shawcross says 'My thanks to local residents for steering this important project through.'"
:rolleyes:

#14 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

Welcome to VN, Christine T!

So, it's the same story from two sources. That's sort of reassuring, although I'm still puzzled as to why the railing designs haven't already been approved by English Heritage. After all, this project has been running for years!

#15 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:15 PM

I think there should be some kind of Norwood street party to celebrate once they have finally been installed. We've all been waiting for YEARS now.