Zoopla - New Property Website Launched

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

A new property website called Zoopla has now been launched to the market place. It's great for buyers, sellers and general snoopers.

It combines sales data (since 2000), provides valuation estimates, gives locational info, allows the user to pose questions and even put in offers for houses. All very comprehensive.

The new Facebook for property!

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/

#2 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

Woah! That's quite a web site... where can I buy shares?

European.vote - EU Referendum

#3 Muzza

Muzza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

Well I'm not happy with this site! The valuations seem entirely arbitrary. What data are they based on, and why are some properties valued when most aren't? For some reason there's a valuation on my house - it's about 20 per cent lower than the sum the houses in my street have sold for in the last year, and way lower than the valuations I had just before Christmas. I think this site is hugely misleading and could adversely affect the value of my house should I ever decide to sell it.

#4 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

i think it is fed from another system and exclusively based on price growth and does not include many other factors - such us developments etc etc --- there is a tool that allows you to add more details and then "et voila'" you get a more accurate price
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#5 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:54 PM

hmm this website is a little strange - my flat (obviously the first port of call if nosing at the site) was sold to me in oct '04. I have looked at others in the same block and next block, all of the same size, beds etc and they are on for atleast 20k more and some less..... its all over the place..... so how can this be a good guide.... it doesnt give me much confidence when i know ive had my flat already estimated between 40K - 60K more than what it says here.....!
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#6 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

I think the site shows how much properties actually sold for... not estimated values. The two are often quite different

#7 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

Ged, I think you are mistaken, actually - the last-sold-for price is indeed on there, but so is the estimated value. And I agree with others here that the latter seems entirely arbitrary!

#8 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

Not sure how I missed the large purple value to the right.

They seem to be roughly based on projections from the last known selling value.

Besides... aren't EA valuations relatively arbitrary ;)

#9 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:30 PM

Asking prices vary from estate agent to estate agent so I don't see how the price they show is any different. I would imagine that their own valuations take in a number of factors and will probably become more accurate once they have gathered in some data of their own. It is a new site and they have to start from somewhere. However it does have some rather novel features and goes a few steps further than the House Prices web site.

If you are thinking of selling it probably makes sense to register and 'claim' your property as this will allow you to add details including a target asking price.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#10 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

It seems reasonably accurate to me. Mine is valued at slightly less than the house next door sold for last year but that may reflect the current market, which is somewhat uncertain.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#11 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hmm... Tried to "claim" my flat and the site went down ... Ah well.

#12 Muzza

Muzza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

i think it is fed from another system and exclusively based on price growth and does not include many other factors - such us developments etc etc

I suspect their valuation for my house is so low because the purchase price was on the low-ish side when I bought it five years ago, reflecting the state of the house back then. I chose it specifically to do up. Since then I've spent a small fortune renovating it. Of course, the owners of the site aren't going to know that...

--- there is a tool that allows you to add more details and then "et voila'" you get a more accurate price

That's what I thought - my first reaction was to jump in, sign up and defend the tarnished reputation of my house ;) . But then I felt annoyed that I was being coerced to join a site just because of someone else's dodgy research! Grrr.

#13 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

I just 'claimed' my house :( What a sellout.

I'm mortified that i felt so compelled to enter details to some techy retard, just because they use cr*ppy valuation models.
I hope this site dies a quick painful death. All the info (aside from the making of arbitrary decisions about houses they've never seen) is available for free elsewhere (primelocation.com being one).

For the record, my 'claiming' of my property shifted the valuation by 25%. I also 'claimed' another property somewhere else, just to check if there's any ability to prevent the system being manipulated, but no... I successfully destroyed someone else's property price in Stoke. Ho hum.

#14 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

LOL sounds fun!!! Mine went up by 132% once I made the changes!!! Pointless feature of the website ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#15 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:31 AM

Sounds a little too easy to manipulate. I can see people with properties to sell, ramping up the house features and their supposed expenditure on it to maximise the value....