26 replies to this topic

#16 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

Maybe if we put in a concerted attempt to raise house prices by 200%+ in Palace and WN then our dream of Waitrose and M&S Food will come charging in !?!?!

#17 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hmm, the fact that the properties in my postcode (all the same, purpose built) range from 125,000 to 200,000 lead me to question the accuracy. OK, some are flats, others maisonettes, some have gardens and balconies, others don't. Plus the varying condition. However it seems to wide a range to be accurate. The low end ones seem to be the ones that sold the longest ago, so I think they are underestimating the growth in the area. I'll take it with a pinch of salt until the accuracy improves a bit...

#18 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

Indeed. I checked my own house value and believe it was way undervalued (truly), even after editing the details to include a ground floor extension - in fact that managed to make the valuation even lower!
aka Pie

#19 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

Seriously folks - Can we get a grip here....

1. Its a website, The price quoted is an example based on sales in the area - Its not the gospel that all estate agents will adhere to
2. Unless you are property developers out to make an income from property, surely your home should be just that - a home and not another moneymaking object
3. As long as you are not in negative equity does it matter how much your house is worth.

I am actually quite saddened and slightly disgusted by the comments made by people who have suddenly discovered that their house is not worth quite as much as they thought. I didn't realise so many people were actually quite so shallow.

Edited by iclipper, 15 February 2008 - 08:33 AM.

#20 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

this is a little bit harsh ... however to clear the air ... my comments were not as much related to how much the property is worth but about the quality and therefore accuracy of the figures provided. Bear also in mind that many comments were jokes ...

If you are to develop and provide information you should make sure that the information provided is accurate. In this case it is not .... if they base the figure on the average (cause that's what they use) of the prices sold in the same road and only factoring the time scale then they are miles away from the truth - so what's the point to provide this information?

Furthermore the house is a home but is also an investment for many people (i.e. invest in the brick instead of putting your money under the matress or in a bank) so I believe many people (or few?) want to see their investment grow not depreciate ... fact of life and economy.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#21 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

I wonder how many people who have used this site will be receiving extra junk mail in the post?

99% of people who visit this site will look at their own property first. That will flag it is owner-occupied and, joined with all the other information out there based on postcode, etc., will probably be more responsible for hernias in postmen than Christmas! :blink:

P.S. I checked up on my neighbours property, so they can get all the junk! :P
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#22 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

iclipper, most of these posts were merely stating not to take the prices seriously (e.g. if checking the "value" of a home you are buying). It's not so much that people "discovered that their house is not worth quite as much as they thought", it's that they know the estimates are wrong. What if some people use the value on this site for deciding what to put their home on the market for and it is 50,000 less than an estate agent's estimate? I don't really care too much if prices drop, it means I'll be able to move up the ladder (e.g. when I have kids) sooner. I'm just saying don't use these estimates when buying or selling a house because they are wildly inaccurate (except for the recently sold ones).

#23 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

Eveyone should know your property is only worth what the an other party wants to pay for it not what you want it to be.

Shame on some of you greed is def the most evil of sins.

So exactly how can i manipulate the price of my property online again ?

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#24 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

The property sold prices appear to be based on title deed number references. I can see my previous home listed but the address isn't the one that I used but one the property was previously known as.

It is quite common for land registry prices to be less than it is "worth" because money is sometimes taken off the price for work the surveyor thinks is needed.

I think you have to imagine where this site will be in three years time - adding user data to land registry figures will definitely help to improve pricing accuracy and that will give them an edge over similar sites.

All web sites that have user supplied data are vulnerable to abuse (c.f. Wikipedia) but that doesn't mean they are flawed. Before you cite a reference you should always check other sources. Zoopla is a good starting point but buying and selling involves more than using a single web site. It's a handy tool but that's all it is. If you want a proper valuation get a surveyor in.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#25 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

I'm glad iclipper managed to bring some sanity to this thread. Besides... if you overprice your house then no one will be able to buy it. What's the point of that?

#26 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:38 AM

I moved into my flat a yr ago so I have wondered how much it might be worth now just due to gains in the local market. Although it is primarily my home, it's still my most valuable and important asset. The estimate it provided is pretty much what I had in mind - I take it as a very rough estimate though. I only really wanted to see how much property prices in general in SE20 have increased over the last 12 months.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#27 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

My health & Son are my most valuable assets.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig