52 replies to this topic

#1 norwood_spurs

norwood_spurs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

Hi all,

I have recently moved into the norwood area, and i don't really know many people here in this part of london.

I was wondering is there any social groups or activities in the area whereby i can broaden my circle of friends and meet some new people in the area so i don't feel so lonley.

In addiiton if anyone knows any 5 / 6 a side football teams that need some players or if anyone just meets in a park for a kickaround i would really like some information surrounding that as i really miss playing football at the moment.

All information much appreciated

Thanks

#2 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:17 AM

Welcome! Norwood is lovely. Good choice.

Why don't you start a VN five-a-side team and then a league against the East Dulwich forum, Sydenham et al? I think Mr Spoon would help - also a footie fan.

#3 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

I may be unfit...

but id be up for a 5 a side at some point...keep me updated!
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#4 pupkin

pupkin

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

Also v unfit & fairly new to the area but would be up for a kick about.

Chris

Edited by pupkin, 18 February 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#5 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

If you're after non-football related social groups, try popping down to the theatre in West Norwood one night. We've got a (subsidised) bar which has a good social side of its own, whether you're involved in a show or not. And for the non-actors among us there are many many other ways to get involved, whether you're handy with a saw or a paintbrush or a computer .... It really is a very easy way to gain a really varied group of friends who are all local-ish!

#6 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

If you are on facebook look up Secret Crystal Palace Society.

Depending on how old you are and what you like doing - this is a very good bunch of people, all local and all up for meeting new friends.

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hi Norwood Spurs - welcome to the neighbourhood. Why don't you come along to one of our Virtual Norwood socials that happen roughly once a month. Watch the site for details of the next one. We knew no-one here when we moved to the area three and a half years ago but now we know quite a few people and regularly meet folks for drinks. It's a very friendly place.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 norwood_spurs

norwood_spurs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

They are very much welcomed

#9 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

Just thought I would say hi as I am a newbie too.

Would anyone be interested in badminton (I am looking to take it up again after years of not playing). Are there any social badminton nights around Norwood that don't take themselves too seriously?

#10 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

Hi Sunray,

Welcome to the area.

I used to play badminton but haven't played much for years and really need to get fit. Definitely up for a few games. You can hire courts at the NSC and at the Lewis Sports Centre at Harris School. Would also be interested to see if there are any good badminton nights locally.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#11 kyleweb

kyleweb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

Hi all

Thought I would jump in as also quite new to the area (just bought a place in crystal palace).

Always keen for a game of bad and also play for a 5's team up in vauxhall which is always looking for a few new players.

If either of you are keen then drop me an email kylewebster@gmail.com and can sort something out!

May also have to drop into one of these socials, def need to meet some people in the area!

#12 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:38 PM

Sorry not be around much lately...Been doing all the boring stuff you do when you move in...And yippee - think I actually have found a builder - fafter ten estimates and builders fingers crossed it all works out.

RE. badminton - maybe find a date...How about Tuesdays or Thursdays???? And set a date - maybe in two or three weeks to enable us to find a venue.

#13 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

I'm still up for some badminton. It's that long since I played I need to get myself a new racquet! Maybe at the Lewis Sports Centre? Tues or Thurs is generally fine for me, although it's the VN social on the 17th June so that Tues isn't so good.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#14 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

Mr Spoon is good at badminton but rarely plays. He's not back until gone 7, though. What time do you think you'd play?

#15 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

I don't get home until 7.00 either.

Gosh, what am I getting myself into - I've not played for years! Hope you oaren't all really good.
Mel, Forum Moderator