32 replies to this topic

#31 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

I'm thinking of switching allegiance to the 196 for now. I could do with the exercise walking the length of Church Road anyway.

Re. the 432, I emailed Pat Ryan to ask how it went at his TfL meeting last week and I left an online complaint and request for reinstatement of service frequency on TfL's website. I am fully expecting a sticky-out-tongue emoticon as a response.

See how it goes.

#32 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

since last week the service has been awful.

buses arrive more like every 15 mins, and recently have been over crowded BEFORE we even get to elder road.

the bus therefore hardly stops through kinghts hill, west norwood..even tulse hill estate (where the 415 is meant to be improving things for them).

There have been people having to stand on the top deck, and those that cant get on are (quite rightly) making a fuss, and delaying the service further.

Im going to complain...but does anyone have any ideas how to reach out to more people in west norwood / tulse hill...as surely they are getting an even worse deal than CP?
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#33 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:58 AM

Email attachment (several sheets of A4) from TfL, in response to my request for councillor Pat Ryan to raise this, which was done. Problems with the 417 were also pointed out (not by me) and are covered here and I've just left everything in as some may be interested in that too.

Note salient point: "to maintain route 432 at its former frequency would have resulted in excess capacity on this section of the route – this would have been of no passenger benefit, and indeed would have been a wasteful use of resources which can be better used elsewhere.

The new route 432 frequencies are quite sufficient to accommodate passengers who board and/ or alight on the section of route between Anerley and Tulse Hill, including those who are travelling between Crystal Palace and Brixton."

Anyway, make a cup of tea, get comfy and bear with them...

Bus routes 432, 415 and related issues

Thank you for your email of 3 March, addressed to Angela Oluwole, on behalf of your constituent [Spoon], and others. Ms Oluwole has passed your enquiry onto me for investigation and reply.

I note the concerns raised by [Spoon] regarding the reduction in frequency of route 432. I can assure you that the changes have been carefully modelled to ensure that there is no reduction in overall quality of service for our passengers, and this reply is intended to clarify the rationale underlying the recent changes.

Route 333 runs between Tooting Broadway and Elephant & Castle. Capacity was examined, and was found to be sufficient to meet the current demand at Brixton station, which is the busiest part of the route. However there were capacity issues on routes 2 and 432 on the Tulse Hill – Brixton route ‘corridor’, despite an additional return journey being introduced on route 2 earlier in the year. A restructuring of route 333 which would address this issue, was therefore examined.

Our proposal, now introduced, was to introduce significant enhancements to service provision between Tulse Hill/Streatham, Brixton and Kennington. In summary, as you and your constituents will no doubt be aware, route 333 has been rerouted between Brixton and Kennington via Stockwell Road and Clapham Road. To compensate for this, new route 415 has been introduced between Tulse Hill and Elephant & Castle with a 12 minute frequency via route 2, then route 133.

This scheme is designed to

• increase capacity on the busy Tulse Hill to Brixton section;
• reduce excess transport capacity south of Tulse Hill;
• create new transport links (Tulse Hill – Brixton Road, Kennington and Elephant & Castle; Streatham and Brixton Hill – Stockwell; Clapham Road – Brixton; Stockwell Road – Kennington and Elephant & Castle);
• provide sufficient capacity to meet the demand on Brixton Road;
• create direct links between Streatham, Brixton Hill and Stockwell Park school;
• reduce the need for interchange in Brixton.

Both the 415 and 432 will operate at a 12 minute average frequency during Monday to Saturday daytimes. The extra schoolday-only journey on the 432 will remain. The evening and Sunday service will be a 15 minute frequency on the 432, and 20 minutes on the 415.

It is important to note that the actual reduction in frequency on route 432 is relatively small: Monday-Friday peak frequencies have been reduced from 7 buses per hour (bph) (not 8 as mentioned by your constituent) to 5 bph (ie a bus every 12 minutes), interpeak to a bus every 12 minutes, and early evenings every 15 minutes.

Saturday daytime frequencies have been reduced to a bus every 12 minutes on average.

Because new route 415 parallels route 432 between Brixton and Tulse Hill, passengers wishing to travel to/from any point on this section of the route can make their journey on either the 415 or 432 – therefore to maintain route 432 at its former frequency would have resulted in excess capacity on this section of the route – this would have been of no passenger benefit, and indeed would have been a wasteful use of resources which can be better used elsewhere.

The new route 432 frequencies are quite sufficient to accommodate passengers who board and/ or alight on the section of route between Anerley and Tulse Hill, including those who are travelling between Crystal Palace and Brixton

The introduction of new route 415 enables us to provide a new service for passengers travelling on this section of the bus network, thereby improving reliability and enhancing capacity. We believe that this is the optimum solution, having regard to all factors involved.

Now that route 415 has been introduced, we will be closely monitoring its performance and usage, to ensure that it meets the needs of our passengers and operates as intended.

I now turn to your comments regarding route 417. This route is operated by Arriva and our quality of service indicators for this route over the last few months show that this route consistently operates reliably – this includes the late evening period to which you refer.

As with any route, factors such as illegal parking and waiting, bad weather, road accidents and roadworks can cause delays from time to time – Clapham Common and Crystal Palace, in particular, are recognised traffic hotspots, even outside of peak-hours.

We will continue to monitor the route carefully, and liaise with Arriva to ensure that route control is as effective as possible.

If your constituents could provide details regarding any further issues they encounter on this route, including specific details such as time, date, location and length of the delay, we will be pleased to investigate this matter further.

We are of course committed to providing the best possible level of services to all those who travel in London, and this includes bus provision to key district centres such as Crystal Palace.

Thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention. Please contact me directly if you would like further information.