Photo

The Bridge House

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (24 votes [48.00%])

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

2. Good (14 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

3. Average (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Poor (7 votes [14.00%])

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Bridge House Tavern
2 High Street, Penge, London SE20 8RZ

Phone: 020 8778 2100

#2 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:57 AM

very nice evening to launch the place...official first night friday...food all up and running...good fun

#3 Georgina79

Georgina79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:26 PM

Having eagerly watched the progress of the refurbishment of the Bridge House Tavern in Penge over the last few months, I was very excited to see people drinking in there yesterday (Monday 25 Feb 08). I wasn't sure if it was open to the public, but when I saw more drinkers tonight on my way home I decided to give it a try.

I am very pleased to say I had a lovely evening. The new decor is lovely. Furniture comfy. Staff very nice. The house white/red is only 12.25 a bottle (which I think is pretty reasonable as The Dolphin in Sydenham is around 15) and the white tasted good (didn't try the red!!!). I had a quick glance at the menu and main courses were under 10, and the food from the table next to me certainly smelled lovely.

Was told the official opening night is Friday, so look forward to seeing a few more people in there soon.

I live in Anerley Park so am really pleased that I now have a lovely new local which is in easy reach from my house. Am looking forward to sampling the menu and having many a good night out there!!!!

#4 tintinjansen

tintinjansen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:48 AM

Ooooh can't wait!
I live in anerley park as well - do you think the bridge house looks suitable for mother's day lunch?

#5 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

I had the nicest conversation with the new owner. They are really enthusiastic, they love the area, are doing all kinds of nice things to make the place a real centre for people to come not only for a drink, but good food, good coffee....I'm so excited to have this on our doorstep!

We won't be around on Friday, but are hoping to pop in on Saturday or Sunday. Anyone up for an impromptu Penge-Borderlands VN Social one of those nights?

#6 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:23 PM

count me in I am dining there early tonight if all goes well...spotted my favourite wine that disappeared from the mansion last night
Tin Pot Hut!

#7 apple1

apple1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hello,

I have been following the refurb of the Bridge House for months in wonder.

Last week, my husband and I were bothing sneaking a peak through the window of the pub, when the new owner caught us! He popped out and introduced himself and his enthusiasm was infectious.

So finally we both went along to the Bridge House last night, straight from work to check it out. It was exciting enough to be going on a date near to home! On entering, the staff were incredibly welcoming. Once inside, its as I had always imagined this building to be, a stylish, laid back space where the ambiance is just perfect. Prices are good and the wine and food menu is quite varied. I can see the Bridge House being a perfect evening out and also a great place to stop for a coffee. They've pitched it just right!

I've lived in the area for 2.5 years now and this is the start of something quite brilliant. We always knew there was potential in this particular pub and the area.

Edited by apple1, 27 February 2008 - 01:56 PM.

#8 Sintay

Sintay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

It's brilliant. I'm still ridiculously excited about it having gone last night - I'm another one who walked past on my way home & couldn't resist how good it looked from the outside with lots of people relaxing over drinks. It's deceptively spacious & even better on the inside than how it looks through the windows - sleek but cosy. The food was gorgeous (butternut squash salad & bangers & mash) - they've brought one chef from the Mansion & one from the Rye. Can't wait to go again. They're also carving a garden out the back which will be completely fenced off from the road & will be set up for BBQs in the summer.

I've been in Penge for 3/4 years & this is the best arrival ever. It's in a perfect spot for a stroll round the park followed by a rewarding beverage of a weekend.

#9 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

Wow, I'm amazed to hear it opened on Monday - we peeked in on Sunday and it looked far from ready! Looking forward to trying it now.

#10 DiscoStu

DiscoStu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

I popped in last night too and was warmly greeted by everyone from the owners to the chef. Apparently there are big plans to develop the outside area/garden. All in all I was very impressed by my new local.

Edited by DiscoStu, 27 February 2008 - 04:30 PM.

#11 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:25 PM

Chandaliers, butternut squash salad, coffee and comfy sofas. Is this a pub?

#12 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:29 PM

Chandaliers, butternut squash salad, coffee and comfy sofas. Is this a pub?

This is not just any pub... this is a Marks & Spencers pub

#13 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:45 AM

I went last night and it was smashing. It was an impromptu visit with the better half.
Dead comfy, and very attentive staff and management.

+ Great food, just like at The Mansion (which was my sunday watering hole of choice
+ Superb location (for me anyway), in what was a real deadspot for entertainment
+ Great staff
+ Friendly atmosphere

- If it gets busy then the layout could cause problems (single staircase to reach the bar / activities in the front 'main' area are concealed from the bar)
- 'Wot? no Peetermans?!'
- By the looks of it, if you spill your pint on the floorboards in front of the bar then it'll pour on some poor sods head in the basement (you can see light through the boards). This amused me somewhat.

Very impressed, and will of course be back again, and again, and again....

#14 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:21 AM

Thank goodness for the smoking ban otherwise they'd get more than just beer and dirt in their hair ;)

European.vote - EU Referendum

#15 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:57 AM

Sounds lovely. Bit too far to walk from where I live - are there car parking facilities?
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage