Photo

The Bridge House

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (24 votes [48.00%])

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

2. Good (14 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

3. Average (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Poor (7 votes [14.00%])

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#136 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

I went to the Bridge House yesterday after a walk in the park and to meet with a whole bunch of friends for a late Sunday lunch and a few drinks.

How very dissappointing........ We ordered our food at the bar, mainly ordered burgers and cod & chips.

beef burgers : have not had a dry and chewy (laughable after I was specifically asked on if I wanted it medium or well done and I said medium)
chips : not very nice either
chicken burger : dry chicken - with a few leaves of salad...
cod : (was then served as 'haddock' at the table - probably the best out of all dishes..)

Utterly overpriced, I think you can get better food at any weatherspoons (and that means a lot...)
It's a shame because it has so much potential!

.....palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#137 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

I went to the Bridge House yesterday after a walk in the park and to meet with a whole bunch of friends for a late Sunday lunch and a few drinks.

How very dissappointing........ We ordered our food at the bar, mainly ordered burgers and cod & chips.

beef burgers : have not had a dry and chewy (laughable after I was specifically asked on if I wanted it medium or well done and I said medium)
chips : not very nice either
chicken burger : dry chicken - with a few leaves of salad...
cod : (was then served as 'haddock' at the table - probably the best out of all dishes..)

Utterly overpriced, I think you can get better food at any weatherspoons (and that means a lot...)
It's a shame because it has so much potential!

.....palacegirl

i was going to post that i had just had a magnificent chicken burger for lunch...but i was taken aback by the previous post...

#138 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

We took some friends to the Bridgehouse for Sunday lunch over the last Bank Hol weekend. The owner was there as he's just moved back in, and was very entertaining and a good host. Think we all had the same to eat which was fish and chips served on a wooden plate, looked and tasted great, but the dessert of chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream was out of this world. Still one of the best venues in the area for me.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#139 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

Is the owner resident above now, Moc? I forget his name, but I remember that, years ago, when he owned The Mansion, I told him about this unloved, scruffy pub just by a bridge in Penge, near where I lived that I never went in to that it'd be great if he took over if it ever came on the market...!

#140 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

Yes he is, so he'll be a lot more present there now I should think. Big character!
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#141 colincollings

colincollings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

went here a few times, it was ok. the drink was good. it is near a big bridge and cristel palace the park is not too fur.
we stayed till about ten then went home. there is trainsport links by train and bus and you can walk to penge?

Edited by colincollings, 17 October 2011 - 04:27 PM.

#142 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

I was there for lunch on Friday. Having only been there at night in the past few years, I thought it was beginning to look rather shabby by daylight. The beer garden's a bit naff, with overly prominent laminated A4 signs urging children to keep off the planted beds. The fish and chips were disappointing too - tasteless batter and chips that were redolent of sunflower oil. That said, service was charming and it's good to see that the manager(ess) whose manner several VNers commented on unfavourably has moved on. I used to champion this pub and will still enjoy a drink there in the evenings, when, in the low lighting, it's atmospheric, but I think they need to raise their game when it comes to both decor and food.

#143 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

It's a shame when that happens - I think some pubs rest on their laurels too much. IMO the same sort of thing has happened to the White Hart, it looked fabulous when it happened all those years ago but it looks awfully tired and drab these days :(

#144 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

A very nice lunch at the BH yesterday... very busy but most acceptable! Scott was away running the Goldsmith but Sinon was holding it together... their new puppy dog will be running the place before long... so cute!

#145 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Sunday lunch before a walk in the park...huge roast portions!

#146 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

A nice sunny Saturday, so we decided to take a walk through the park to the Bridge House Tavern.

I fancied a Pimms, was told the bar wasn't set up for it with bits of fruit etc, but I actually prefer it unadorned, with tonic water - so, after establishing that, it was possible to go ahead. The barman asked the manager how much to pour and he said 'a double'. OH ordered a shandy.

Total cost: £13. I believe this is what the young people call 'buzzkill'?

When we expressed surprise and said this was more than we paid in the triangle, the barman (who had to be told where the triangle was) said that he'd worked in The Westow and the prices were the same. Another customer said no they weren't.

God knows I didn't want to get into an argument about local pricing structures, but £13 for two normal drinks is just barmy isn't it? Or am I out of touch? We normally get beer and wine in pubs. Well, a lesson well learned - never stray from the Grape and Grain!

#147 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

Well, a lesson well learned - never stray from the Grape and Grain!

The Moon and Stars, shurely?

Edited by Trux, 31 March 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#148 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

In this case Trux I meant never stray from The Grape and Grain pub - but it could easily apply to alcoholic beverages too!

#149 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

In this case Trux I meant never stray from The Grape and Grain pub - but it could easily apply to alcoholic beverages too!

:D I got that - I meant you should head down to the Moon and Stars instead of the Bridge House, save yourself a fortune.

#150 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Oh, duh, sorry - haven't heard of the Moon and Stars. Is it nice? Where is it?