Photo

The Bridge House

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (24 votes [48.00%])

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

2. Good (14 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

3. Average (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Poor (7 votes [14.00%])

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

There does appear to be a small car park, otherwise Anerley Park road isn't chocablock (sorry residents).
Its a pleasant 5min stroll from Anerley Hill and its bus routes, and served directly by the buses dropping down the East side of the Park.

#17 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

And during daylight hours, you can park in the park car park (she said, inelegantly but unavoidably)!

#18 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:14 PM

Thanks guys! :D
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#19 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:02 PM

but moc, don't you want to stay for more than one pint? take the bus so you can enjoy the evening to its fullest.

#20 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

If I'm driving I wouldn't even have one pint, and don't mind that at all - sounds like the food is good enough reason to go :D But if I fancy a drink or two, then yep bus or walk ;)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#21 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

Lovely pub, smashing food and friendly service - well done! Downstairs part seems a bit strange but maybe will come in to its own.

#22 tintinjansen

tintinjansen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:48 PM

oh please don't park down Anerley Park! Its hard enough finding a space as it is! :rolleyes:

#23 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

we won't be able to go tonight but hope to meet some of you there on either Saturday evening or Sunday...
cheers!

#24 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

Well this was my local for 7 years. I went for a quiet pint.. I wanted to read my paper and check the place out. I walked in and was told by some Irish bloke on the door that football shirts were not acceptable. I pointed out that my shirt was not a football shirt but was in fact a Munster rugby shirt (Irish)... the tune changed - I was then told that, yes, come on in but in future no SPORTS shirts are allowed.
I'm an inoffensive bloke, I keep myself to myself, all I wanted was a pint but to be made unwelcome because of a bloody rugby shirt - IN PENGE - was a smack in the chops.
It's not the West End, it's Penge for God's sake. If you define your customers by the way they dress and totally dismiss former regulars unless they conform a dress code which, if you're honest really is out of place - then I hope you fail.
My apologies if I'm suddenly not good enough for you. To the Ruperts and Sophies who've suddenly come out of the woodwork... enjoy your butternut squash salad and chandaliers. You're bloody welcome to it.

#25 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:22 AM

Well I'm not a Rupert and my lovely wife ain't no Sophie (sorry love), but I quite like it. Special occasion or post-park pint in the summer to be honest, but very nice to see such a well thought out interior. :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#26 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

As someone who lives on Anerley Hill, I must enquire how on earth this pub is a 'pleasant 5 minute stroll' from where I live. I have done this walk quite a few times and even cutting through the park it is at least 15 minutes. Is there a secret path that I have been oblivious to all these years, if so please let me in on it!!!!

#27 Michele

Michele

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

The newly renovated Bridge House has been long-awaited by many residents of Anerley Park and the surrounding streets - how refreshing to have a really nice local a few mins down the road without having to schlep up the hill. I was in there last night, the staff were friendly the drinks well mixed and atmosphere buzzing! I must say I am somewhat mystified by some of the posts concerning this pub...before the new owners took over and rejuvenated it, it was badly run, badly decorated, a touch on the smelly side and dead for the most part, the last time I went in there for a drink after work under the previous ownership they didn't even have any tonic...imagine!

#28 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

A crowd of us Thicket Roaders (et al) were also there last night and had a great evening. There was a really nice atmosphere and fellow drinkers were from a pleasingly wide age range. I was impressed by the new decor and Scott, the landlord's efforts to do the rounds to talk to everyone.

I'm sorry about your bad experience, Nork1 - there was no one on the door when we arrived or left, so we must have been there at different times. I assume the football-shirt ban is to stop any trouble brewing between rival fans, rather than an attempt to impose sartorial standards!

Andy, I guess it depends on where on the hill you live! Hot tip: there is a shortcut through the alley just after the Thicket Tavern that brings you out on to Lullington Road, halfway down Thicket Road - and from there it is seven or eight minutes max!

Gill (neither a Rupert nor a Sophie - just grateful for a local within walking distance that I would feel happy to go into on my own)

#29 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

A very warm welcome is being extended to the new Bridgey from crowds of locals who have been withering with thirst and hunger, it seems. We went last night, all excited to try the place, but it turns out they had basically run out of food. They were very gracious about it, but we were more than a bit disappointed. We had passed by around 8pm to ask if booking was possible or necessary and told no. We came back 20 minutes later, got ourselves a beer and a perching seat while we waited for a table so we could order dinner. Clearly the wait staff was over-stretched, but we were patient, had no other plans for the evening, and the manager did a good job of ensuring a table was not snagged from under us. Time ticked along, not wanting to start drinking more beer or creating problems for the overworked staff, we waited with empty glasses and chatted on the decor....but then when they actually were able to come to our table, we knew our order, but they said the kitchen had decided not to take any more orders as the wait time for serving was 45 minutes and that would put them past the 10pm kitchen closing limit. Oh dear! They explained that they are currently keeping things up and running at the Mansion and now also at the Bridgehouse, and they had not expected to turn 125 tables on Friday, and now were facing even more on Saturday. They graciously gave us a glass on the house to compensate. The food that went by looked good - but there are clearly some teething problems (as all places have on opening).

The atmosphere is great - like GillW said, a wide range of people. The decor is fun, light, welcoming - but very firmly 'decorator chic' and a statement of difference from a traditional local. MrZiwa pointed out it has a kind of neutrality about the colours and some parts of the design that puts the focus on the PEOPLE in the pub as much as anything. The layout is nice, with a swooping stairway and multilevels for seating. The bench seating along the side is good - allows you to see out the windows, and adds a multilevel effect to the crowd, so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. The lighting was just right - creating pockets of defined space.

As Michele said, the previous incarnation of the place was really dire (except for the idea of having a place that did live music, which is great, even though the selection was, errr...uneven). Sorry Nork1 - for a non-regular it was really really unwelcoming. (We would have become regulars if it hadn't)

All in all, welcome to the new Bridgehouse, but perhaps give it a bit of time to get the kinks worked out.

#30 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

after mothers day duties I popped in to see how things were progressing...
Justine is looking weary but atttentive they are running out of...er everything...
" victims of their own success " the team is working o.k. but yes there are glitches
and they are looking forward to monday morning... a rest and a damned good
ordering of stock session. So far I have enjoyed the atmosphere immensely...
Friday was lovely to watch all you good people enjoying a very happy place...
but there were times when forty people walked in at a time and that is a bit difficult!
and i was not going to hold my hand up and serve.

The place will close at 8.00 tonight they say...but my parting shot to justine is I am
not telling the punters! The overwhelming feeling I get is one of gratitude from you
good people that they did this thing where they did it... and I urge you to tell them...
but not all at once and don't mention my name!