Photo

The Bridge House

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (24 votes [48.00%])

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

2. Good (14 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

3. Average (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Poor (7 votes [14.00%])

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

Is Justine the manager, Philip?

#32 SJH2002

SJH2002

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

We went in yesterday for some lunch & it was great. All the staff were very friendly, attentive & enthusiastic. Food came quickly & was lovely.
My 3 year old felt so at home he took his shoes off & made himself comfortable!!
Yes, they appeared very busy & I did hear talk before we left that they were thinking of closing the kitchen early, but the fact that the Bridge House has had such a successfull opening week or so shows just how much the people in the surrounding streets have been crying out for a decent local pub.
Dont get me wrong, there are occasions when I love a spit & sawdust pub, but not when Ive got my boy with me.

I will definately be going again, & would have no qualms about going there on my own to meet people - which most ladies will understand isnt always the most comfortable thing to do in a pub.

I look forward to the summer & the plans that they have for the garden...looks like seats in the garden will be at a premium!!

#33 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

We dropped in for an early evening drink on Friday and it all looked good. We had a chat with one of the owners, staff seemed friendly, and best of all, they were handing round trays of snacky things (suppose I should say canapes, but I do live in Penge).
Didn't see a menu anywhere, so we assumed they weren't serving meals on Friday.
Was filling up by the time we left - except for that bench that runs round the wall near the door. Not sure about that as a design feature - looks like it should be facing a snooker table, or something.
We'll be back, though.

#34 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

we sat at the bench on our 'almost date' on Saturday. Its a great perch. You can see out the windows, and have a great view of the main room - the theatre of people. The tables are deep and designed so that you should sit next to the person you want to talk to, not across. A bit unusual, but we liked it.

#35 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hmmm. After my enthusiastic post of last week, am a bit disappointed that they don't take bookings (to eat) for tables of fewer than four people! Wouldn't a table of two eat and move on more quickly, allowing for double the turnover? We went elsewhere. :(

#36 grovesy

grovesy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

Hmmm. After my enthusiastic post of last week, am a bit disappointed that they don't take bookings (to eat) for tables of fewer than four people! Wouldn't a table of two eat and move on more quickly, allowing for double the turnover? We went elsewhere. :(

Disappointing maybe, but I'm no restaurateur, nor a mathematician, but I really don't understand your logic about turnover here?!

#37 Strawbs

Strawbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

As a frequenter of The Mansion myself, my partner and two friends heading up excitedly to the BHT and unfortunatley although it full and had a good enough vibe I missed the lounges, fireplace and the ambience of The Mansion.. Food and wine was good as always (we still managed to spend well over 200), service a little so-so but I am sure that is just teething problems..

If it came down to a walk to the mansion or a cab to BHT then The Mansion would win still for me at the moment.. Saying this though I drove past there yesterday and saw lounges in the skip so we I guess we will see how it turns out..

#38 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

I went on saturday night with Mrs nickyb, and persuaded two friends to come down from the traingle. It makes a nice change to have somewhere to take people in the locality - without having to go to the triangle or the mansion.

I'd booked a table (which I believe you can do, regardless of whether you are eating, which I like). FOod was smashing, and on par with Mansion grub of yore. Service was better than anywhere I've ever been. Truly great.

I can't wait for the garden to be finished now...

#39 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

"Lounges in the skip"? I can't bear waste. They'd better have been absolutely useless to man or beast or I'll be very cross.

#40 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

You're absolutely right, Grovesy, my maths doesn't stack up on the tables-of-two thing - I suppose I was thinking that four times as much conversation might make the foursomes linger longer! I wonder what the reason for that arbitrary rule is then - any theories?

Edited by GillW, 10 March 2008 - 12:31 PM.

#41 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

Please can we keep this topic for reviews of The Bridge House Tavern. Thank you.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#42 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

I think we were all on topic, weren't we, James?

#43 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

You were but "any theories?" is an off-topic question. You can start a new topic about the turnaround times for tables of two/four if you want.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#44 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

Oh, sorry. Still learning!

#45 tintinjansen

tintinjansen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

Well this was my local for 7 years. I went for a quiet pint.. I wanted to read my paper and check the place out. I walked in and was told by some Irish bloke on the door that football shirts were not acceptable. I pointed out that my shirt was not a football shirt but was in fact a Munster rugby shirt (Irish)... the tune changed - I was then told that, yes, come on in but in future no SPORTS shirts are allowed.
I'm an inoffensive bloke, I keep myself to myself, all I wanted was a pint but to be made unwelcome because of a bloody rugby shirt - IN PENGE - was a smack in the chops.
It's not the West End, it's Penge for God's sake. If you define your customers by the way they dress and totally dismiss former regulars unless they conform a dress code which, if you're honest really is out of place - then I hope you fail.
My apologies if I'm suddenly not good enough for you. To the Ruperts and Sophies who've suddenly come out of the woodwork... enjoy your butternut squash salad and chandaliers. You're bloody welcome to it.

I'm so with you there.
I was looking forward to visiting the newly refurbished Bridge House, at the end of my road, for the live bands and the cool music that used to be played downstairs. And what do we have? Another poncy pub just like the White Hart and the Mansion. Boooring. How about a little bit of originality? What next for Penge? Cafe Rouge and an M&S Food? Can we please stop catering to Rupert and Sophie?
If anyone knows of a decent pub with an original atmosphere and no chandaliers, please let me know!

Edited by tintinjansen, 18 March 2008 - 01:53 PM.