Photo

The Bridge House

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (24 votes [48.00%])

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

2. Good (14 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

3. Average (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Poor (7 votes [14.00%])

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

If anyone knows of a decent pub with an original atmosphere and no chandaliers, please let me know!

Sounds like the Thicket Tavern...(sorry James)

#47 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

Can we please stop catering to Rupert and Sophie?

I think there are more than enough places in Penge that definitely do NOT cater to "Rupert and Sophie"!

So what if the decor isn't too everyone's taste - can't we just be pleased to have a nice pub where you can get a decent meal in a friendly and most importantly safe environment. You can create your own atmosphere.

#48 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hear hear. As a woman, I wouldn't have dared set foot in the old Bridge House solo, but I went in there on my own on Saturday and had a glass of wine and a great doorstep of a bacon sandwich for lunch. Oh, and as for my puzzlement over the reason they don't take bookings to eat for parties of fewer than four, it's prompted by nothing more than the over-large tables, apparently - annoying and rather short-sighted, but no more complicated than that! And enough of the Rupert and Sophie jibes already - those of us who've made it our new local are of all shapes, sizes and social classes, I'm sure.

#49 tintinjansen

tintinjansen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

As a woman, I wouldn't have dared set foot in the old Bridge House solo, but I went in there on my own on Saturday and had a glass of wine

Er, I'm a girl too :-)

Thanks for the recommendation for the Thicket Tavern. All I wanted was the Bridge House to keep the quirks it had before (Stone Penge anyone?), rather than become part of this 'chain' that is creeping over our area.

#50 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:30 AM

...To the Ruperts and Sophies who've suddenly come out of the woodwork... enjoy your butternut squash salad and chandaliers. You're bloody welcome to it.

Sounds like its worth a visit now then!

I didn't even like walking past it before let alone going inside there :P
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#51 4 a horse

4 a horse

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

If someone owning two pubs in south east london is a chain then good luck to them. With record number so of pubs flding we should consider ourselves lucky.
If anything it highlights the range of pubs in the area, meaning that those that wish to enjoy overpriced Belgian beers and a bottle of chablis can do so while those who prefer a pint of Carling and sky sports super sunday can as well without a buttenrut squash risotto getting in harm's way.

The Bridge Hosue of old may have been quirky but it was also a run down dive that was an eyesore. Fair play to the new owners for giving it a makeover and making it a landmark local (which I can now walk to without a great big hill in the way)

#52 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

If someone owning two pubs in south east london is a chain then good luck to them. With record number so of pubs flding we should consider ourselves lucky.
If anything it highlights the range of pubs in the area, meaning that those that wish to enjoy overpriced Belgian beers and a bottle of chablis can do so while those who prefer a pint of Carling and sky sports super sunday can as well without a buttenrut squash risotto getting in harm's way.

The Bridge Hosue of old may have been quirky but it was also a run down dive that was an eyesore. Fair play to the new owners for giving it a makeover and making it a landmark local (which I can now walk to without a great big hill in the way)

+1 to that !!

There's plenty of traditional boozers in the area - which is exactly why the new-look Bridge House has caused such a stir!
I'm equally at home in either environment, depending on who I'm with and what I fancy. I'm just thankful for having the choice. Last weekend I spent saturday in the Thicket Tavern drinking with mates and loving the jukebox, then on Sunday I went with the otherhalf for lunch in the BH. Perfect.

#53 Angela

Angela

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

I am reading with amusement people's responses to the new Bridge House. We ourselves are gutted that we have lost the Mansion (as it was) in Gipsy Hill to become a rather poncey dining room and bar. I guess you really can't please all of the people all of the time!

The old Mansion was quirky, warm, welcoming and served good decent pub food and fairly priced drinks, all in surroundings with chandeliers and bold wallpapers. Sounds like the management have taken their winning formula to the Bridge House, and we only wish we lived round the corner to it!

#54 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

released alone for the day...and with the footy on...i thought i would take sunday lunch and the papers in the bridge house...
ok i had a table for 4 to myself but it was early... a platter of meats olives and stuff with oil and vinegar and pittas...which dont
soak up the aforementioned... they are not the only place that offer that! Then roast chicken that could feed the five thousand...
described as half a roast chicken with all the trimmings... gorgeous! a couple of matches later and the other half returned and
we returned to BH to celebrate a good result with bubbles... so lucky to have the facility so close! and as justine has joined the
online flock THANK YOU!

#55 urpert

urpert

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

I think there are more than enough places in Penge that definitely do NOT cater to "Rupert and Sophie"!

So what if the decor isn't too everyone's taste - can't we just be pleased to have a nice pub where you can get a decent meal in a friendly and most importantly safe environment. You can create your own atmosphere.

Hear hear. Places like this lift the whole 'feel' of an area, whether or not they're to your taste. (And if not, Penge still has plenty of other pubs...)

Rupert (no joke) ;)

#56 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

We went for the first time today. Very nice. We offered to share our table (it was packed) so, once the others ordered, we got forgotten and a bit left behind in order-taking, service and then bringing the bill but it was really good and we loved the place.

#57 Angela

Angela

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

It does seem that Gipsy Hill's loss is Penge's gain. (Now what's the quickest route from the Mansion to the Bridge House?)

#58 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:21 PM

hmm... I had new goss' today that Scott the owner of the Bridgey also owns the Dartmouth Arms (Forest Hill), the Rye (Peckham), the Dolphin and used to own the Mansion.

I had a brief internet diversion and only found this linking Dartmouth & Dolphin http://www.thedartmo...CFQpjMAodYAEjNg
but the rest remains unsubstantiated until you tell us otherwise!

#59 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

Scott does own the Rye and has just sold the Mansion - I thought this was common knowledge though or have I missed something? As far as I am aware though he does not own the Dolphin or the Dartmouth, have never heard that before.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#60 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

what is with the new decking being installed out front? This place has a huge garden, nice and private, but they are putting up a deck on the noisy busy road! Do you think this is simply a handy smokers' haven, not so far to walk as the back garden?