Photo

The Bridge House

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (24 votes [48.00%])

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

2. Good (14 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

3. Average (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Poor (7 votes [14.00%])

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:08 AM

i wasnt in an inquisitive mood yesterday but Scott was less than impressed with the job last night so it will probably come down again today!

#62 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

so much for my last comment on this place...the decking is in place and in use... although the magnificent roast we enjoyed yesterday might not have been as magnificent outside with penge traffic going by...I prefer to think of the bridgehouse as a sanctuary from Penge...sorry that will upset someone I am sure...but I do!

#63 J B

J B

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

Went in last night and really liked it! Personally I never thought much of The Mansion, It always seemed very 'couply' and there just wasn't room to move about... I like a place I can wander about in! Food was great, had a few plates of picky things and we had a really warm welcome, the mangeress seems to be a bit mental but I like that!! Looking forward to seeing what it's like on a weekend night, hope it doesn't turn out like The Mansion, it'd be nice to go to a pub where people actually stand up..
www.londonorthotics.co.uk

#64 JulesF

JulesF

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

We ate in the Bridge House with some local friends for the first time last night. The food was lovely, and the pub had a really nice feel to it (far nicer than the new Mansion). The only issue we had was with the rudeness of one of the staff over a mix-up with our food in the kitchen - I don't think I have ever come across an individual with such a bad attitude. The manageress to her credit did her best to solve the problem and was extremely apologetic afterwards, but it did take the gloss off what was otherwise a really nice experience.

#65 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

Whilst travelling in to Palace station last night I took a look out of the train window into the beer garden of the BHT. All finally looks ready to roll there. Acres of space, a good 20+ picnic tables. and a split level garden.

I can't wait until summer now. Very excited. It looks fantastic.

Yours sincerely

Happy Chappy, SE20

#66 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

taking advantage of the first signs of summer took ourselves to the BHT for lunch - excellent food, good value wine list, big beer garden, friendly staff and good service - all good stuff. All the things that made the old mansion stand out.
two downsides - a few parents letting their kids run wild, but the split level garden tends to keep familys (push-chairs etc on the lower level) so it's is not too intrusive; and a hawker trying to sell some dodgy items - swiftly told to sling his hook by the staff!

#67 Luciepoo

Luciepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

I had lunch outside in the beer garden last weekend with a group of (non-local) friends and everyone was v impressed. Great burgers and the most amazing dip with the chips! Fab to eat a hearty meal there then go for a stroll in the park afterwards - perfect!

#68 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

Went in on Thursday and I have to say I am very impressed. Food was superb, the beer well kept and the outdoor area is substantial... A very nice addition.
Nick, Forum Moderator

#69 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

The BH is a huge improvement on the old pub that used to be here. I have lived in the area for quite some years, but after a couple of poor experiences, avoided it like the plague.

I don't know about 'Ruperts' and 'Sophies' in the new BH though, it seems rather more full of 'Chardonnays' and 'Wayne's'. Having said that, the service is friendly, the surroundings lovely (love the decor) and the food adequate pub grub. It is sometimes a bit full of yummy mummies, sprogs and huge prams, but when the ankle biters pipe down it is a nice enough place to be in.

#70 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:09 AM

I've been there a couple of times and quite enjoyed it for the decor and atmosphere; has quite a nice vibe to it.

Had problems with the food though. Went on my birthday a couple of weeks back and ordered the steak and half of it was fine but the other half awful; tough like an ancient egyptian mummy. I complained and got an apology and a free beer. I'd rather have had some more food, but at least they acknowledged the problem. Funnily enough, before I ordered, I said to my friend "better not have the steak, you never know what you're gonna get in a pub" but it had been so long since I'd had one, I relented. Should have known better! :(

I'd go back for beers and maybe try other meals, but would give the steak a miss. ;)

#71 candc

candc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:49 PM

Visited the pub on Sunday for the first time. Booked a table for 7 just to be sure we would get a table. The food was great however it took an age to come and the dessert order was messed up. We also got charged for the complimentary coffee! It's a shame that the service let them down. Apparently there was a rush of orders in at the same time....

#72 sinhaha

sinhaha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

Been three times. Each time the food has been superb , and the service has been both charming and extremely easy on the eye. A winner.

#73 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

Apparently there was a rush of orders in at the same time....

Same thing happened to me today. The chef's away on hols apparantly and the manager was standing in for him so they were way behind on orders, but when it did arrive the roast chicken was very, very good. My wife's soup was lukewarm but they sorted that pretty quickly.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#74 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

Been there a couple of days ago and LOVED IT ... very good decor and the food was nice too - it was daytime so pretty quite but still there were at least half dozen of tables busy.

Nice one! Will definitely go back again and will try the Livew Jazz evenings on Thursday

LSPE
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#75 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:23 AM

LPSE you should give the jazz night a go... after a long day on thursday we could not gather ourselves to get to mediterranea in time for the wine and cheese evening...so we walked over to BH just to feed and then remembered it was jazz night and had a lovely evening...