London Elections 2008

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:35 PM

The election of the London Mayor and the 25 members of the London Assembly will be held on Thursday 1st May 2008.

If you are not yet on the electoral roll the deadline for registration is 16th April.

Mayoral Candidates so far (in alphabetical order):

* Alan Craig - Christian Peoples Alliance & The Christian Party
* Boris Johnson Conservative party
* Brian Paddick Liberal Democrat party
* Chris Prior Stop The Congestion Charge party
* Damian Hockney - One London party
* Dennis Delderfield - New Britain
* Gerard Batten UKIP
* Ken Livingstone Labour party
* Lindsey German Respect party
* Matt O'Connor English Democrats party
* Richard Barnbrook BNP
* Sian Berry Green party
* Winston McKenzie Independent

For further information see http://www.londonelects.org.uk/

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

Boris has been installed by the bookies as favourite after the latest polls this morning.

#3 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

I think we need a change from Red Ken. The trouble is, I'm not convinced that Bojo the clown is up to the job. He seems like a nice guy and a character etc. but I just don't know. My dilemma is, do I vote for Ken because I think he'll be better than Boris, or vote for another candidate?! Oh, the eternal tactical voting dilemma!

I've got a feeling Boris will get in because people are sick of Ken. If so, it's not the best reason to elect someone.

#4 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

I've got a feeling Boris will get in because people are sick of Ken. If so, it's not the best reason to elect someone.

It certainly isn't. However I think it's the main motivation in a lot of elections.

#5 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

I'll vote for Boris solely for the challenge on the German at St. James Park Newcastle in the 'Celebrity Match' a couple of years back....pure comedy gold.

Plus i dont want to vote for an IRA loving, terrorist schmooching candidate

#6 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

It's times like this make me glad I don't live in London any more...

I mean, Boris Johnson? He's like a Screaming Lord Such for the 21st century...

Forget tactics, vote for the one that'll get things done.

#7 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

I really don't think Boris is up to it. The tories went for the "personality" card and have ended up with someone with a loose cannon for a gob. He's already offended black people and the whole city of Liverpool...

The Tories should have gone for a businessman, senior local council politician or even Sir John Stevens from the Met. i.e. someone with a track record in running large organisations and a strong link to London as a city. Boris the journalist who serves as MP for Henley doesn't really cut it.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#8 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

I agree with that & I'm usually a strong Labour supporter, but I've lost patience with Ken's dictatorial behaviour with regard to money - both abritrarily extending the congestion zone and increasing it when he feels like it, and then siphoning that off to his cronies.
I know the Standard are trying to fit him up, and Gilligan obviously has previous, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I can bring myself to tick another box come polling day. And I voted for Frank Dobson for Blair's sake!

#9 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

I think my Politics lecturer would hunt me down and kill me if I voted for Boris! He's an 'affable chap' but to me its a reflection of the celebrity culture finally going too far. I don't think that presenting Have I Got News For You a few times should elevate you to think you can run the 'world's greatest city' tm

That said, I would happily see Ken dismantled and put in his box for another decade. As an oft-quoted man once said "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" and I think there's a little too much going on behind the scenes at cityhall. Although, it must be said, he's done a better job than his 'its Red Ken' critics might have presumed.

What about Paddick then? Yeah he's a Liberal - but he's a copper. Given the number of threads on this site regarding crime and the like, maybe getting a copper in charge might not be a bad plan??

Lastly... an important note is that this is a 2nd choice voting system. You vote for a 1st and a 2nd choice, and if your first choice doesn't get 50% of the vote then your 2nd choices are counted. It enables you to (if you wish) 'make a statement' with your first choice, knowing that whomever you put in 2nd choice will receive the benefit of your vote. Its a useful anomoly.

#10 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:32 PM

I am totally dis-illusioned with this election - we are going to end up with a crap mayor either way! I refuse to vote for either Boris or Ken, I think they will be as bad as each other. I am going to vote for Brian Paddick - I know it's unlikely that he will be one of the top two to go through to the next round though, which is a shame as he seems to be leading on the second vote. I think I will use my second vote to vote Green.

All in all probably a wasted vote but what else can one do?
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#11 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

Boris for mayor? Since when did buffoonery qualify you for public office? He'd make a fine mayor of Toytown but he is not a serious candidate. And he's a tory.
Mr Paddick - an intelligent man but his previous stance on the herb puts me off. We see too many young boys slipping into paranoia and worse from smoking weed. Legalise and I will advertise it? No mate get the hippy longhairs off my land.
Mr Ken of Livingstone - London is probably a bit tired of him. But I think the agenda of the right wing London press has been of late to undermine him and this seems to have had an affect. I don't think he's been the unmitigated disaster some say. Public transport has certainly improved to an extent. I remember waiting 15 years for a 196 bus when I was a schoolboy in the 1980s/early 1990s. But I don't think I could vote for him with any great sense of enthusiasm.

What we are lacking is a candidate anyone can really endorse. Which is a shame as a city like London could do with somebody that we could endorse.
But please not Boris.
I want to be amused by comedians. Buffoons have their place. They should have places to go to. Don't get me wrong. But becoming London Mayor should not be on the agenda.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#12 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

The main 2 things that concern me about living in london are public transport, and crime

Things did seam exciting on the transport front about a year ago...but then our east london line was "reduced down" to be the london overground...some buses into crystal palace have either been stopped or reduced, and now the tram extension to CP seams a bit precarious.

So i think my vote will go to Brian Paddick and his "tough on crime" attitude. Think he has grown up in south london also.
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#13 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

Boris for mayor? Since when did buffoonery qualify you for public office?

With the creation of democracy.

On a more serious point, has either Boris or Paddick given any views on the park and the housing issue?

But having just been reminded of the superb tackle Boris made, I now feel inclined to vote for him
You can see it at the following link. If Boris's Buffoonery upsets you then I suggest not watching it.
http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=iWIUp19bBoA

Edited by Axean, 18 March 2008 - 06:40 PM.

#14 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:18 AM

Boris' buffoonery amuses me immensely. I think he's completely charming I really do.

I just wonder where buffoonery fits on the London mayor person spec. And a sublime tackle. What a trooper.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#15 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:22 AM

Hummm this ia tough one .... Ken will not get my vote cause he's showing too much arrogance and power. Boris ... let's not even go there .... Paddick is a nice, focused and straight forward chap - met him at several times at conferences on inclusion and LGBT issues (before the Mayor thingy) and came across strong ... is he ready for a Mayor role? I don't know ... but the other 2 have too many negative points to get my vote. I hope people do not vote for Boris because he is "funny" otherwise we are in trouble ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!