Photo

Island Fusion

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Good (9 votes [40.91%])

Percentage of vote: 40.91%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Island Fusion
57b Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1TS

Web: www.islandfusion.co.uk
Email: not available
Phone: 0871 811 1498

Caribbean, European and Asian Cuisine Restaurant

#2 smith and browne

smith and browne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

We tried Island Fusion out last Saturday night and were really impressed. The Jerk Chicken was delicious and the service wonderful - we were treated like family! And the cocktails were very good too...if a little strong! Looking forward to our next meal there already...

#3 Sophie Odum

Sophie Odum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

I found that the service was shambolic. Food wasn't value for money either. I, or my party of 15, certainly won't be going back!

#4 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

I get the distinct impression you didnt like it Sophie!

Been meaning to try it for a while and will do soon.

Its quite difficult to cater for parties of 15 at once though surely

#5 Sophie Odum

Sophie Odum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

It shouldn't matter whether a restaurant caters for 5 or 15 people, service should not be compromised ESPECIALLY when your spending a lot of money. Totally inexperienced management in my opinion.

#6 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:20 PM

Just returned from a cracking night out at Island Fusion. Contrary to Sophie's experience, the service for our table of two was exceptional. The maitre d', a lady in her fifties recently arrived from Jamaica, was a genial and experienced host, and the two younger waitresses were attentive and well-trained. The Caribbean platter was faultless and my gripe about the mango and guava dessert (the fruit seemed to have been cut on the same board as an onion) was dealt with with charm and efficiency - both puddings were immediately knocked off the bill. Cocktails were delicious - if potent! - and the beach-hut-themed decor (complete with really well-executed murals) is superb and really atmospheric. As an avid fan of Cafe ABC (so much so that I held my 40th birthday there), I can honestly say that this is the first time that this venue has come anywhere near achieving its potential. I was really impressed. I wish them every success.

#7 joleapman

joleapman

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

went to Island Fusion last night and was really pleased with the standard of food. It was presented brilliantly and tasted fantastic.
I know the fate for a restaurant in these premises is not good but I hope people will support Island Fusion because it's a really friendly place and deserves more customers. Our waitress Emma was very friendly and helpful. Such a shame it's off the beaten track - but they've really made an effort with the decor - not easy in what is in effect a basement.
Certainly worth checking out. The jerk chicken was great!

#8 primosan

primosan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

My wife and I ate here on Friday and received excellent service and tasty, fair priced food. 10 for jerk chicken and rice and peas seemed very good to me. The decor is excellent, all bamboo and wood and you really feel like you could be on holiday. It's a shame the earlier poster had a bad expereience, but I think that every establishment can have a bad night, especially with a large party of people. I recommend you give Island Fusion a try as it's a welcome addition, adding more variety to the types of cuisine on offer in Crystal Palace.

#9 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

See the excellent review in this week's Time Out!

#10 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:02 PM

Do they have any veggie options?

#11 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

Yes. See http://www.islandfusion.co.uk/

#12 Pussycat

Pussycat

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

We had a really nice meal in Island Fusion on Friday night

We had the following and it was all delicious!
Starter Platter To Share: Crisp coconut king prawns, BBQ jerk wings, plantain and callaloo,rounds, salt fish fritters
I then had the Jerk Pork (it certainly had kick!), Mr P Cat had Island Fusion Curry and my friend had stuffed red peppers with pumpkin risotto. We also shared a side order of 'Festival'
The puddings looked tempting, but only the boys could fit any in: coconut ice cream (Which was yummy, well it would have been rude not to at least try it!)

Beers and cocktails were good, service friendly and attentive and the whole thing good value for money. We will definitely go back.

The whole evening was topped off with a fantastic sunset over the city!

#13 palacequeen

palacequeen

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:27 AM

fine food and a sunset over the city, now where can you say that in London or any where else, and why it is another reason Crystal Palace is so unique and special in our hearts.

#14 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:56 AM

Ate here for the first time recently.

The place is almost unrecognisable from Cafe ABC days, with a complete make-over into a Caribbean beach theme with sunset murals, which it somehow manages to pull off without looking ridiculous.

The food we had ranged from pretty good to fantastic - the starter platter was particularly tasty, and although I'm no connoisseur of Caribbean cuisine, the jerk chicken was the best I've tasted. Tap water was offered as soon as we sat down, and replenished without asking.

Admittedly the place isn't perfect - our young waitress was a bit nervous and inexperienced (although keen), one of our meals arrived about five minutes after the rest (to profuse apologies) and the Becks seemed a bit off. But overall these were only minor quibbles.

It's a great addition to the triangle, and now the nights are drawing in a little, a fantastic place to go and get a taste of summer - it's the kind of place that will put a smile on your face.

Hope they do well - being off the main road and having no windows doesn't encourage passing trade. Definitely recommend checking the place out if you haven't already.

#15 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

Mrs Uncle Wilf and I visited Island Fusion this evening.

This restaurant deserves greater attention and plaudits. Service was friendly and attentive and the food was very, very good. Fresh crab starter (Crab Back) was excellent, and Jerk pork main was also very good. Side orders were consistently good. To order a dessert would have been an endurance test given how filling everything before it was. This was a shame in a way as the dessert menu looked very good and did not fall into the sorbet/ice cream lazyness that many token dessert menus end up in.

This site in its present guise convinces more than even Cafe ABC which I did like. Proper effort has been taken.

Service here was better than some more celebrated, more established restaurants I could mention in the triangle.

And it's always a pleasure to hear some John Holt. :)
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales