Photo

The Mansion

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

2. Good (7 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. Poor (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Mansion
255 Gipsy Road, London SE27 9QY

Phone: 020 8761 9016

(Reviews of The Mansion before refurbishment in 2008 are on the previous review topic)

#2 Yamaman

Yamaman

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

I popped in on friday to have a look and act rather drunk. I had to laugh when the lovely barmaid informed us that they 'usually' have bitter for sale but were out at the moment (a common Crystal Palace problem I notice). I pointed out that since they have only been open 5 days the term usually couldn't be taken to literally!
Service was good, staff friendly, no complaints... except us probably being too rowdy!

#3 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

We thought we would try out the newly revamped Mansion for a spot of Bank Holiday lunch. Having booked a table (based on past experience) we turned up to a half empty pub. The new menu had three main courses - chicken breast (yawn) tartlet (yawn) and the third so unappealing none of us can remember - could have been fish. The four of us decided that the small choices plus the random shared platters were not enough for us to stay and we promptly left before ordering a drink.

Sadly, despite the cool surroundings, I don't think we'll bother. We grabbed some fab pub grub in The White Hart!

#4 Angela

Angela

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

There would have been some black pudding (on the menu twice I think!) or a quail's egg....

Edited by James, 26 March 2008 - 03:02 PM.
Off Topic Comments

#5 hellnick

hellnick

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

Visited the Mansion last night and had a jolly nice time. We had stopped going to eat there under the previous owners as the food was consistently poor - the nicest thing I ate was a fish finger sandwich one midweek lunchtime.

There is a real improvement now - the Mansion Burger no longer appears to have been shipped in from a Harvester in a plastic bag, it is now a well seasoned and properly char-grilled delight. They could serve the relish as a dish on its own - it's really fresh and zingy and I want more now... Rib eye steak with a superb garlic mash and delicious gravy was very good - rib eye always has a good depth to it's flavour but can be a little chewy, however the chef managed to get the balance right.

My only criticism is that they need to have a few more wines by the glass or half bottles for us midweek lightweights. Oh, and maybe keep a closer eye on the lighting - it was a little stark until someone adjusted the lights a bit.

No mention of black pudding or quail's egg in the menu, no objections if they do (except maybe not the quail's egg).This is good quality, honest food prepared by someone who knows what they are doing - I look forward to trying the rest of the menu

Edited by hellnick, 03 April 2008 - 06:52 PM.

#6 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

I was there last night too and have to say the place did feel like it had more of an atmosphere than the last time I was there. They have moved the furniture around a bit and it feels a bit more comfortable in there now. I still hate the bland walls but I'll get over them.

My partner thought the menu looked nice but as a vegetarian I am most disappointed with it. All there is on offer is a three cheese tart, which means I certainly won't be eating there as regularly as I used to. We went to Mangosteen instead and had a delicious meal.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#7 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

After all the negativity i read on this thread, decided to go down there last night for the first time since changing hands. If anything i think it is better, not a cliquey as it seemed to be before and I'll be honest I like the plain walls....not a gaudy as before. As someone has already mentioned i really liked the atmosphere too

Myself and Mrs COYI had the burger which was obviously home made and was gorgeous. The staff were excellent but not over the top, just right. I think the owner or manager was really welcoming etc.

Afterwards went to 'The Tav' for some comedy....all in all a good night

#8 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:49 PM

I have just been to the Mansion and had a most delicious vegetarian toad in the hole. The staff were very friendly, the wine was lovely and there was a good atmosphere in there. I am pleased to say that my earlier misgivings about the place have subsided. Although I still don't like the walls. The aforementioned wine has probably helped but I had a lovely afternoon in the Mansion.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#9 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:44 AM

On the same day we received a flyer from the new Mansion proclaiming something along the lines of "why change a good thing" we ventured in for a drink after voting and what a disappointment. Several blackboards now litter the pavement outside proclaiming "Poker nights" on Thursdays, "Funky Fridays" etc, but the real disappoinment was inside - the horrible faux leather chairs have been joined by a horrible banquette down one side of the bar and on the far wall is a flat screen tv which will be showing sports - interesting to note that the pictures used on the flyer were before these additions!

It all seems a bit confused - the flyer describes the pub pretty much as you'd have thought of the old place, ie, a pub you can chill out in and enjoy some good pub food, but, with the addition of poker nights, jazz nights, funk nights and sport, I just don't see how all those things can co-exist in one space - sure, it's a large pub, but not so large you could sit and enjoy a decent meal while people are watching the match.

Sadly this place is no longer for me.

#10 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:38 AM

Oh.
Dear.
Me.

#11 Angela

Angela

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

Me and a group of girls went to the mansion the other night. I had been glad to read better reviews here so I was hopeful that the new management were settling down, and the pub would be a good place again. I was disappointed.

It was Jazz night and it was quite busy, but with a very different crowd to usual. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that pubs get frequented by all sorts of people. But it does seem that The Mansion is trying to appeal to a different crowd every night, rather than attracting a broad cross section all the time. I saw advertised: Tuesday night - Quiz Night, Wednesday night - Jazz, Thursday night - Poker, Friday night - Funk and Soul, Saturday night - Live DJ!, Sunday night - Jazz... so that only leaves Monday night to 'just go to the pub'. In my opinion, the good thing about the mansion before was that you could go for a drink, or a bit to eat, with anyone (girlfriends, with the lads, with mum and dad, with babies etc) and you knew everyone would have a good time. It was not in your face, it was just a good place to meet.

I know I sound like a right misery but I just don't like the new Mansion! And it seems I'm not alone... we were told by one rather rude bar man "I didn't like this place before, and I like it even less now" !!!

#12 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'm happy with The Park in West Norwood. It's like the Mansion in the good ol' days!

#13 OG_Mudboom

OG_Mudboom

• Pending Removal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:25 PM

I'm a Mansion fan. I liked the old one, and I also like the new one, even the 'bland' walls. They're not bland in my opinion, they're toned down and neutral. The Mansion of old wasn't suitably decorated for the warmer sunnier months. Last Summer for example the main bar area felt oppressive and almost Victorian and fusty during warmer months; but I imagine this year, with simpler (not bland) walls that it won't and it'll be a more enjoyable environment for those who wish to escape the sunshine.
The food is excellent, both times I've had the fish and chips, and both times the fish (moist) and batter (crispy) were the best I've ever had. I very much dislike food such as fish and chips, and still won't buy it from a chippy, but here I felt encouraged to try and was very impressed. The staff are friendly and the furniture layout is improved.
Now my next comment may get up some peoples noses and I don't apologise for this but since going to new Mansion there is noticeably less 'new parents' with their motley crew of toddler explorers. Pubs and bars are places for adults to engage the sale and consumption of intoxicating drinks, therefore in my opinion unsuitable places to bring children. Fortunately the new Mansion seems to be just that right now a place for adult entertainment, heres hoping it stays that way...
Either they don't know, don't show...or just don't care what's going on in Norwood.

#14 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

I just don’t understand why they have made all the changes they have and I’m really upset about them given it’s my local.

They seem to be trying to go back to the days that it was the Paxton which was a complete ****hole. The introduction of the TV is a disaster. Why try to tempt people with a nice menu (albeit the new one is chips with everything and a little less classy than the old one) and a (still expensive) wine list and then have sky sports running in the background–oh dear they really are getting it sooooooo wrong.

What really gets me is that they made Scott (the previous owner) an offer he simply could not say no to– that offer must have been made having had sight of the accounts for the last two years which I imagine showed a pretty healthy profit.

Why then change the winning formula of a profitable pub with a loyal customer base into something totally different that, to be blunt, appears to be pitched the bottom end of the market – the lifting on the ban on patrons wearing sports gear/football shirts etc says it all

Since this is run by the owners of the Whitehouse I was expecting some changes but expected they would retain the classy look and feel of the place – how wrong I was.

As for children in the pub – there aren’t many child friendly places to go out in the area and we loved the fact that the mansion was child friendly – it didn’t impinge on “adult” time because Scott had a firm but fair policy of no kids after 18:30 PM . It’s a pub with a big garden that served food – families going out there goes with the territory and if you don’t like it might I direct you to the black sheep/White hart etc etc where you won’t be bothered.

#15 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

Now my next comment may get up some peoples noses and I don't apologise for this but since going to new Mansion there is noticeably less 'new parents' with their motley crew of toddler explorers. Pubs and bars are places for adults to engage the sale and consumption of intoxicating drinks, therefore in my opinion unsuitable places to bring children. Fortunately the new Mansion seems to be just that right now a place for adult entertainment, heres hoping it stays that way...

Adult entertainment?!??!! Wow - I knew they were doing theme nights but have they gone that far??? :huh: