Photo

The Mansion

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

2. Good (7 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. Poor (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 OG_Mudboom

OG_Mudboom

• Pending Removal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

...as for children in the pub...if you donít like it might I direct you to the black sheep/White hart etc etc where you wonít be bothered.

No thanks, reckon I'll stick with the Mansion if you don't mind, better food, nicer decoration. :D

...besides which I'm barred from the White Hart. :P
Either they don't know, don't show...or just don't care what's going on in Norwood.

#17 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

I didn't see a TV when I went in on Saturday evening?
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#18 Yamaman

Yamaman

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

Does anyone know what time the poker starts tonight?

BTW I much prefer the new walls... that old wallpaper in the main bar was horrendous

#19 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:14 PM

Apparrently the Mansion didn't just change hands, it upped sticks and moved to a different part of London................Dulwich indeed!

www.themansiondulwich.co.uk
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#20 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

Since when did anywhere in Dulwich have SE27 as a postcode....

What a shame they can't be proud of where they are and have to hide behind the Dulwich banner

:(

#21 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

Popped in yesterday after a visit to Nicholas Ashley Estate Agents, and first impressions were good. I liked the calm decor inside and it felt much more open, and they had kept some of the previous features. However, that does have a down side.

What a pity that first impressions are then followed by actual experience.

The staff are just strange. I mean really strange. They are trying to do 'banter' but with all the subtlety of a sledge hammer. When I asked about a particular brand of beer they said 'Oh we don't sell that anymore. It's cheap rubbish'. Then they thought it would be hilarious to call Staropraman 'Strap On Man' which isn't really on when you don't know whether the punter will like that kind of humour.

The food was OK, but nothing spectacular. Horrible chips and the burgers, at almost a tenner each, were not worth it. There were nice touches - the salt and pepper come in little marble pots and the burger garnishes were lovely.
We tried ordering dessert, and we wanted the Crumble, they said 'Oh no try the cheesecake it's lovely!'. No, we'd like the Crumble. 'But the cheesecake is to die for'. On the third request they accepted the order. We then had to take our own plates to the bar, because they'd forgotten to clear them. They apologised and said the dessert would be with us in five minutes. After half an hour waiting, we left and went up to the Black Sheep.

So, the service ranges from inappropriate to intrusive to poor, the food is average, and the decor - well there's just enough of the previous features there to remind you of what a great place the Mansion used to be, and what it has become.

EDIT: I also note that they charge £75.00 for a bottle of LP Rose Champagne. Interestingly, one of the most expensive bars in London, Claridge's Bar, charges £85.00 for the same. Which one do I think is the best value?

Edited by Billy S, 16 May 2008 - 09:10 AM.

Love The Triangle...

#22 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:12 AM

All that on top of a visit to Nicholas Ashley as well...

Must have been a proper nightmare of a day. :blink:

#23 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:21 AM

Rofl. It was quite the day. ;)

EDIT: I had booked a Ryanair flight to Belfast, for the grand total of £2.02 for a day return, all charges and taxes included. But when my alarm went off at 4.30am I thought, I can't be bothered to go to Stansted. So I went to Crystal Palace instead. As you do.

Edited by Billy S, 16 May 2008 - 10:15 AM.

Love The Triangle...

#24 Yamaman

Yamaman

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

I must disagree with Billy's take on the staff. I've always thought that they are very friendly.

I am glad to find out that the champers is expensive though, surely that'll keep the rif-raf out :)

#25 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

Lady Andreas and I made our first visit to the "new" Mansion yesterday lunchtime. All in all pretty good - pleasant service, delicious burgers served on warmed-up plates (makes a huge difference) and a nice-enough feel about the place. Not quite the knock-out sensation of the "old" Mansion but maybe it will get there as the new team settle in.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#26 RadioFreePenge

RadioFreePenge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

Apparrently the Mansion didn't just change hands, it upped sticks and moved to a different part of London................Dulwich indeed!

Ha - I joked when the White Hart opened that they'd end up claiming to be in 'Dulwich Heights'

#27 Muffy

Muffy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:50 AM

Been twice since it changed hands
I find it a little average with a very limited menu that is not very good value - much worse than under the previous owners
The food was OK the first time and poor the second time
Ordered a bottle of Rioja - expensive and was pretty awful to be honest - I dont think I will be rushing back

#28 smith and browne

smith and browne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

We popped in for lunch at the weekend for the first time since the new management - wanted to make the most of the garden in the beautiful sunshine. The service was really slow, and the food was terrible. Stale bread, slimey salad. And not a whiff of basil in my tomato, basil and mozzarella salad. Won't be going back...

#29 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:55 AM

As a web designer, I feel it's my duty to offer my services here! "Website opening end of May 2008"

!!!!! That's just rubbish. Sends out the message that they simply can't be bothered with anything.

#30 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:25 AM

And as a fellow web design most of the 'under construction' messages you see are down to non-availability of the customer, rather than non-availability of a designer. It is a bit of cardinal sin design wise though and there would be nothing wrong with the homepage as it is, minus that sentence.

European.vote - EU Referendum