Photo

The Mansion

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

2. Good (7 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. Poor (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

Popped into The Mansion again on Sunday. (I like to give places an other go).

Most of the beers on draft where not available, and they also had no roasts left. So we had a drink and went back to The Exhibition Rooms. Where we'd been for breakfast on Sunday.
Love The Triangle...

#32 hathaws

hathaws

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

We were there last night, around 6.30ish, and they were out of two beers at least. Mr Hathaws was there the previous Sunday and also experienced the drought...surely it can't be that hard to make sure there's enough barrels in the cellar? Particularly after having it happen the week before?

It's a nice enough pub to sit in, but the service is hardly engaging. I miss the old Mansion, but won't stop going as it's a handy local. And as yet they've not run out of cider!!

#33 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:49 AM

a friend of mine was e-mailed the link below to a launch party for the Mansion on 30 October - strange as it was taken over a while ago, but from the website which is now up and running (www.themansiondulwich.co.uk), it does look like the menu has changed - the flyer refers to new management and a new chef so maybe its changed again - who knows, but hopefully it will be an improvement

<http://www.themansio...MANSION_E2.jpg>

#34 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

Had lunch there on Saturday. V impressed. Glamorgan sausages were delicious and very substantial.
Rachel
My link

#35 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:45 AM

Anyone going tonight for the launch? It was mentioned in the London Lite last night. I wonder whether anyone will find it, though, as they said it was in Dulwich SE27, wherever that is :P

We really enjoyed our last meal in there. Looking forward to sampling the revamped menu too.

#36 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

We haven't been there since the re-launch. I thought the previous incarnation was pretty good on the whole - lovely decor - but I thought the drinks were a tad pricey.

Has it got a similar vibe now? Are the drinks as costly? (Not being a skinflint, but with so much choice in the area we tended to go for cheaper options).

#37 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

I don't know what you count as costly, but here's their drinks menu:

Mansion drinks menui
Rachel
My link

#38 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

Did anyone go last night? What did they get up to? On the way to work yesterday morning, I meant to ask Mr Spoon whether he fancied it but then I got waylaid by a work trip to the pub in the evening and forgot all about it.

#39 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:26 PM

I don't know what you count as costly, but here's their drinks menu
Mansion drinks menui

I think thats quite expensive for a pub in West Norwood

#40 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

Although maybe not for Dulwich!

But, yes I suppose it is quite expensive. Comparable to the prices newly revamped posh Hat and Tun in Clerkenwell.
Rachel
My link

#41 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

I think thats quite expensive for a pub in West Norwood

It is. You can get cheaper bottles of wine at Claridge's.... (I know, because I have!)
Love The Triangle...

#42 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:09 PM

Ho hum the old SE27 with an SE21 aspiration problem (damn that annoying 7). What is halfway between West Norwood and West Dulwich - Dulwood ? Gipwich perhaps ?

or Paxton Green as the estate agents on our house purchase insisted on calling the area

Glad to see the food appears to have improved a little since the takeover. It's my local and I still go there but even though it looks more or less the same since the WhiteHouse lot bought the place it just doesn't feel the same as it did under Scott and his team ...........and there's the fundamental problem. I always found the original staff excellent - welcoming and responsive without being intrusive.

The current lot seem to lurch between a a "really not bothered/too cool for school" attitude to one of annoying matey overfamiliarity. Why the new owners got rid of the existing team is beyond me - if it ain't broke and all that.

Still I thought the haunted house green lighting on Halloween was a nice touch.

#43 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

Still I thought the haunted house green lighting on Halloween was a nice touch.

Oh was that only for Haloween, I quite liked it and was hoping it was going to stay.

I have to agree with Jamesl, although it is still a nice pub and it being on my road will always be my local, it does not feel the same as when Scott et al were there. It has just lost some of the warmth it had previously. Still the best pub in SE27 though.

Ho hum the old SE27 with an SE21 aspiration problem (damn that annoying 7). What is halfway between West Norwood and West Dulwich - Dulwood ? Gipwich perhaps ?

Norwich....oh that's already been taken. West Norwich then
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#44 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:49 AM

review in the Idependent - not too positive but seems pretty accurate (unfortunately) to me

http://www.independe...on-1026052.html

#45 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

I get the feeling he doesn't live in south london, and is more used to reviewing central london wine bars...
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk