Photo

The Mansion

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

2. Good (7 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. Poor (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

I agree with both... recognised the portrait but annoyed by the snobbishness. 'Huge, bald south-London men shoulder their way to and fro' forsooth!

#47 Muffy

Muffy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

Went to the Mansion last week for some evening food
The place was quite empty, although it was a Thursday
I have to say the staff were really nice and friendly and the chosen winne was excellent
However the food was really poor, both starter and main course, and considering the prices they charged it really should have been better
I cannot recommend eating there at all

#48 Vin

Vin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

Went to the Mansion last week for some evening food
The place was quite empty, although it was a Thursday
I have to say the staff were really nice and friendly and the chosen winne was excellent
However the food was really poor, both starter and main course, and considering the prices they charged it really should have been better
I cannot recommend eating there at all

Sounds like you had a totally different food experience to me Muffy.

Have eaten at the Mansion the past couple of Sundays since moving to the area and have been really impressed with the food. The Roast was decent and the burger yesterday excellent! Prices were a little more than I would like to pay, but really enjoyed sitting in the back garden in the sun. Staff were friendly and table service in a beer garden is always welcomed.

There was also a jazz pianist on the main bar/restaurant area which added a nice touch.

#49 Muffy

Muffy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

Since my last notice was commented on I thought perhaps I had caught this place out on a bad night
So gave it another go at the weekend
To be honest the burgers we got were not too bad
However same sorts of problems as last time from the kitchen
Why do they insist on loading all the dishes with SO MUCH SALT!
EVERYTHING IS PLASTERED WITH THE STUFF!
Even the butter came with enough rock salt on top of it to initiate an immediate worrying rise in blood pressure
If you order food in this place ask them to hold back on the salt if you know whats good for you

#50 mlg

mlg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

Don't want to go into detail, but I had a really bad dining experience at the Mansion recently. Suffice to say, I will never be going back.

#51 Bryher

Bryher

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

My husband and I used to be regulars at The Mansion until the owner left and set up again at The Bridge in Penge. But recently we have been back. The first time I just had a starter - Hock terrine, which was absolutely delicious. On Monday we went to their "pie night". Their offer is two courses for 10. I started with the pate - again absolutely delicious. I then had the fish pie and my husband had the chicken and leek. Both were freshly made and both were excellent. We eat out a lot, both in town at Michelin star places and round the triangle, and to be honest this was the best food we've had for ages.

On the other hand the ambiance is rather odd. The old owner had it right with candles on the tables and subtle lighting. Now all the lights are turned full up and it looks rather bleak. The buzz there used to be, is missing. It's odd that they can produce excellent food but not get the atmosphere right. The staff have been welcoming and professional on all our visits.

But I do agree about the salt. It was ok in the pies, but for some unknown reason they covered the french beans with it. Not good. The beans were cooked perfectly but ruined by being covered with salt.

#52 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:30 AM

My husband and I tried to go to the Mansion for lunch at the weekend. It was 12 o'clock, and the place was empty, but they said they couldn't give us a table. I don't think we look that disreputable! Perhaps they really were booked up, but still... I can't believe that a stampede was about to happen. They could have offered us an hour slot or something. We had a very nice lunch in Luigi's across the road instead, with charming staff. (Not Still Luigi's!)
Rachel
My link

#53 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:35 PM

So... is RachelF's experience typical, or excusable? Please let us know, we've been in suspense for getting on a fortnight.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#54 clairy

clairy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:04 PM

Was never really a fan of going to this place in the evening but since having a baby have been for lunch a few times, midweek admittedly, but the steak sandwich is yummy and bloody good value.

#55 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

Was never really a fan of going to this place in the evening but since having a baby have been for lunch a few times, midweek admittedly, but the steak sandwich is yummy and bloody good value.

It was a Sunday, so they may have had a lot of bookings. i just felt a bit disgruntled at the time!
Rachel
My link

#56 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

It is always very , very busy on a Sunday so Rachel may have just been unlucky. Kenye (who usually does the seating/maitre de role) is very welcoming and accomodating so I'm surprised at the experience.

We went on Sunday 8th and had a really tasty and enjoyable Sunday lunch (after a 45 min wait to be seated but then we had not booked) ... but on the other hand went for lunch on Friday 5th and whilst the food for 3 of us was very good, the burger for another was overcooked and dry (and they weren't busy).

I like the Mansion and go quite a bit as it is my local.

The new team (since Scott sold up and the people who own the Whitehouse in Clapham bought it) have got a lot better after a shaky start but it's still not quite up to the previous service levels - I get the impression they are often understaffed and there seems a higher staff turnover than before. However I still rate it as a decent pub with good (raher than excellent) food. It's also a freehouse now so the beers are more interesting and it's still very accomodating for families with children whilst mainatining the "no kids after 19:00 rule".