• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 desilu

desilu

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:35 AM

What used to be where the new library/Nettlefold Hall is that takes a bite out of the cemetery. Surely the new library can't have taken over a piece of cemetery land.

#2 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

Wasn't that the location that got bombed out by a V1/V2 rocket in WWII ?

#3 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

Unfortunately, AFAIK you can't pass on search results from old-maps. To see the map Rachel refers to, enter the coordinates 532000 172200 into the search box.

The Hall and library are there in the 1972 Kelly's. I don't have an earlier directory immediately to hand to find when they appeared, but a pre-WW2 A to Z shows a square bite out of the cemetery at that location.

#4 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

Whoops sorry. I didnt know that. I have deleted my previous posting

There's an article about the library on the Lambeth Landmark site. It says that the architect of the new library was appointed in 1953, but the land ln Norwood High Street was purchased in the late 40's. There are photos of the building site from teh late '60s.

Try typing 'west norwood library' into the image description box.

Lambeth Landmark site
It looks like the libary was opened in 1969.

Sorry, none of this anwers the original question though...
Rachel
My link

#5 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

Site purchased in late 1940s, architect appointed in 1953, Library opens in 1969 - some things never change.... :P

Perhaps there was a disagreement about the railings?

#6 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

ha ha!

The reason given was that "The project was... thwarted by economic difficulties."
Rachel
My link

#7 ben

ben

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

Knights Hiller is right. Here's a link to a photo of the Georgian houses that used to stand where the library is today:

http://www.ideal-hom...high-street.htm

You can also see the original St. Luke's railings quite clearly, including the ornamental gate!

#8 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

Small bit of trivia- Some scenes from Clockwork Orange was filmed in the library.

#9 malcolmjanes

malcolmjanes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

I had the dubious honour of living at the bottom of Auckland Hill from 1953 to 1963, when I got married. My reception was hald in the Civil Defence Hall that was sited on this piece of land. The building was a single strorey, utilitarian, precast concrete structure. I don't know when it was put up for sure - I guess it was soon after WW2 when (I believe the Civil Defence organisation was set up to protect us from 'The Bomb'

Recent viewing of photos either on line at Lambeth Archives or in a book recently on loan to me concening wartime V!/V2 bombs, I cannot remember which, indicated that two large, old houses (Georgian?) used to stand there and were damaged/destroyed by a V1, along with re arrangement of some inhabitants of the cemetary during the war.

At the time I married, the public library was opposite, in an ornate, reddish stone fronted building at the bottom of Knights Hill. I moved to Tulse Hill and in 1965 moved out to 'the sticks' in Suffolk, so have yet to see the new library.

Perhaps one day, before the grim reaper calls, I might get back to see the many changes to the area that I read about in this forum, some good, some bad.

#10 palacedan

palacedan

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would put it in here just in case anyone is interested.

There is a nice little article in the south london press today (21/1/11) about the catacombes under the cemetery. Some excellent pictures as well.

Might be on thier website but I haven't checked.

#11 GeorgeAlexander

GeorgeAlexander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

I wish the entrance to the cemetery at the end of Hubbard Road was still open, I'd love to take regular strolls through the cemetery to get to my home near there.