• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

I see two of the old Kennedy's sausage and pie shops - the ones in Camberwell and South Norwood - have been listed. Shame the one in Penge High Street wasn't included. No sign of action there yet since it closed in December, but it would be a tragedy if the old shop front was lost.

#2 solstice

solstice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:22 PM

I passed the Camberwell shop yesterday, and the front window has been replaced by a bright red roller shutter, and it looks like the old counter tops and fixture have all gone.

#3 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

Yes the Camberwell shop has been "made-over."

The best replacement of the South London contenders has been the fishmongers having the Herne Hill branch.
Not sure what's happeneing to the one on Walworth Road, South Norwood or West Wickham.

Chipolatas. No-one does them quite the same as Kennedy's did.

They used to stock tins of Pease Pudding as well. Which goes well with cinnanom.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#4 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

I'm pretty sure the one on Church Street in Croydon closed recently as well - the one next to the fishmongers.

#5 solstice

solstice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

If the shop in Camberwell was listed why have they been allowed to totally change everything, I bet the sign will be gone soon, I`ll look tomorrow! what does listed mean? I always thought listed ment that the front would have to stay the same. Where is the shop in Herne Hill?

#6 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:32 AM

The same street as the station near the junction with Norwood Road, on the right hand side as you approach from the Brixton direction.

Now a fishmongers.

Next door is a grocers.

Years ago my uncle used to work for the old grocers there. My mum and dad were married in St Jude's church on Dulwich Road (now a furniture store) and as they were driving past the grocers (think it was called Kingstons then) the grocer threw a load of fruit over the car in what sociologists and North Londoners might call "exuberant behaviour by way of warm celebration."
Fighting Nightingales

#7 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

Three generations of our family would like to know if anyone has Kennedy's sausage recipe. There's nothing like them... or there wasn't.

#8 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:04 AM

Isn't the internet a luvverly place? There really is a website for everything - Tribute to Kennedy's sausages (and pies) :rolleyes: . Haven't come across any recipes as yet...

#9 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:45 AM

You should be able to obtain the recipe's somewhere.
I know my mum would like some of their recipe's.

Can't no longer be a secret if Kennedy's is no more...

Kennedy's chipolatas with wholegrain mustard onion gravy and mash. Stirring for a young boy on his way home from double games, cross country in the rain.
Fighting Nightingales

#10 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:51 AM

You can buy a Kennedy sign here but you have to remove it yourself!

#11 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

The best replacement of the South London contenders has been the fishmongers having the Herne Hill branch.
Not sure what's happeneing to the one on Walworth Road, South Norwood or West Wickham.

The Walworth Road one had a tacky banner up when I went past the other week and its something like a 'ex-catalogue stock' shop. Not quite in the same class as the fishmongers

#12 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hoardings went up around the Bromley branch when it closed, saying it was going to be re-opened as "Kennedy's cafe". That has now been covered over and a new sign has gone up over the front saying "Brodie's". What's going on there?

#13 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

Isn't the internet a luvverly place? There really is a website for everything - Tribute to Kennedy's sausages (and pies) :rolleyes: . Haven't come across any recipes as yet...

Strange that the link makes no reference to the Crystal Palace shop - Sausages to die for and pies the like I have never tasted since.............

#14 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

Joe, you appear to suffer from the same condition as my wife when looking for stuff, look closer ;)

15 years an opticians, yet I can still remember popping in for a cheeky sausage roll like it was yesterday...cue Love theme from Romeo and Juliet (Simon Bates's "Our Tune" background music)

Edited by jannism, 24 June 2008 - 07:57 AM.

#15 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

WOW ! Yes there it is..... Many thank's

I am now 54 years old but can still remember the UNIQUE flavour and style of the produce from that shop.