• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#1 designic

designic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

There seems to be a lot of activity in and around the park this morning: ambulance, police, cordons etc.. does anyone know what has happened??

#2 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:39 AM

The park is used seedily on a regular basis day and night with men brazenly coming and going.

Somebody was murdered a few years ago in the park if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe there has been another incident.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#3 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

With my interest in wildlife and knowing parts of the park contain ancient woodland, I went off for a walk there several years ago. I left very quickly. It turned the wood was a very busy 24hr meeting point for gay men and I was later told that somebody was killed in the woods a few years ago. The park isnt used by locals.
I went back there a couple of months ago to see if it had changed, but it clearly hadnt. Just walking into the park you could see several men hanging around the edge of the wood plus there was a group of alcoholics with cans of strong lager using the open area. What stood out most was the complete lack of anyone else using the park.

With one part used as a gay cruising area, and the rest by alcoholics, its a place most would want to avoid. The reality is that it is no shock to hear about police and ambulances in the area.

Edited by Axean, 03 June 2008 - 04:25 PM.

#4 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

Not a shock at all.

The park needs cleaning up really and it should be locked at night. It is not used by locals at all and makes a joke of the any notion of law and order. It is a free-for-all area which is a disgrace to local policing.
Fighting Nightingales

#5 jonh

jonh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

I think there's a lot of unfounded insinuation being posted here. I've run through that park many times with no problems. Who cares if gay men hang out there? Why does this mean that people are necessarily threatened by their presence?!

#6 fungigirl

fungigirl

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

Here is a link to what happened.

http://www.thisisloc..._in_robbery.php

#7 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

Jonh- no unfounded insinuation whatsover.

"Hanging out" is not exactly the full extent of what goes on in there. It has a very founded local reputation.
Fighting Nightingales

#8 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:00 PM

I hadn't noticed this area much before and thought it was a cut-through. The other evening I was hanging round the gates (!), trying to see what it was called. I was wondering whether to have a butcher's and see where the path led but because it was getting dark, in my head I heard my father disapproving of this lonesome venture and I decided against it.

So I've probably added to its general loitering reputation but it was curiosity. It needs a name plaque.

#9 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

I'm sorry to hear there has been an incident in the park.

The park does have a reputation as a gay meeting point but it used to be my cut-through from the top of SN Hill to my home in Auckland Road. I never had any problems with the drinkers or the other people and they didn't deter me from using the park. I also used to walk through it in the evening - it could be scary for some but there are few places left without the neon glow, and it was very handy to still be able to use it at night. It has a really good view of a bank of trees at the bottom of the park and sometimes you could be forgiven for thinking you are still inside a city. It's a rough park (landscape wise, and perhaps otherwise) but in my view its better than a pedicured park.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#10 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

I think there's a lot of unfounded insinuation being posted here. I've run through that park many times with no problems. Who cares if gay men hang out there? Why does this mean that people are necessarily threatened by their presence?!

I do not think they meant any "discrimination" but he park is quite well known as cruising area - I fould feel intimidated to get around there (not threatened) - I have never been and the fact that I knew it was a cruising area scut short my curiosity to visit the park.
I agree should locked at night
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#11 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the info about the incident. My mum had asked me to come on here because we guessed someone would know what had happened! We are one of the few locals who do use the park regularly for walking our dogs. My mum even made friends with a few of the drunks who were admiring one of the dogs we were looking after which happened to be a German Shepherd so I would often walk him on my own down there because I felt perfectly safe with him by my side! I remember that incident a few years back quite clearly because me and my brother would go and play football in the top half of the park after school and we remember being turned away the day that the incident occured.
It's a shame because it really is a lovely park with some great grassed areas for large dogs (such as German Shepherds) to run in which are away from the road (unlike The Lawns or The Upper Norwood Rec).
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#12 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

I used to cut through this park quite often. It was also a great park for BMX riding, with loads of places for bumps and jumps. It's such a shame it's now tied in with the seediness of cottaging, but I noticed how the toilets by All Saints were now closed and so perhaps this is the alternative. One thing I always remember about the park was how muddy it would get there after a bad few days of rain. It would turn into a real quagmire and it would take a really funny walk along the top of South Norwood Hill to get your shoes clean again. I also remember going there on field trips from All Saints to learn about wildlife and the geography of the Norwood ridge.

I also notice the new item refers to Beulah Heights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Beaulieu Heights?
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#13 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:04 AM

http://www.thisiscro...;pNodeId=252357

Interesting article above.

I live near Beaulieu Heights and from all the comings and goings I see at all times of day I would not use it.

Lets hope they have some success in restoring its to its proper use as a local open space that people can use properly and safely.
Fighting Nightingales

#14 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

For the benefit of Uncle Wilf, and anyone else that hasn't been in the park, we have a couple of QuickTime VR 360 degree views taken in the park here... http://www.virtualnorwood.com/vr/

European.vote - EU Referendum

#15 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

Well done as usual James. It is the best place for miled for toboggoning (can't spell sorry) when it snows. Gay and straight people alike hurtling down the great slopes on tea trays, pieces of wood - even black plastic sacks!!!

I would not go in there on my own and if I had young children, I don't think I would like my kids to go there on their own - more because it is quite deserted most of the time and that's the problem - Is it deserted because of its reputation for being a meeting place for gay men and a favourite mugging spot ?!