• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#31 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

Muzza, I am gay and the first thing that my gay friends told me about the area was to watch that park as it is a well known fact in the gay community ... I think gay men should focus on more important issue and achieve some rights still denied or to which we have very limited and complicated access (blood donation/adoptions) instead of playing the gay card everytime someone complaints that some areas in some parks in our Country are too seedy because gay men.

I am sorry but I think we have rights AND duties in society and one of the duties (being gay or straight etc) is to behave within certain rules/common sense and respect to others - the park is a public space and as public space EVERYONE has the right to use it - but it is not an anrchic space where you can do whatever you want there are still rules and laws that MUST be respected.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#32 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hysteria?

#33 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

The park is for eveyone ! No one is scared Muzza but I think most parents would not want their young child witnessing these acts in public spaces what is so difficult to understand bout that.

Get a room I say !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#34 Tuesday Girl Ventures

Tuesday Girl Ventures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

There's definately a defense vibe regarding the lewd behaviour in the park being about gay men, but wouldn't it be the same if it was say a couple of older teenage hetero-couple going about 'business in the bushes'?

It is definately frowned upon in our society these days for any such lewd behavious occuring in public places where young kids may see etc?

#35 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

Muzza - you miss the point and LSPE has hit the nail on the head.

It is about respect and quite frankly decency and people should be able to walk through a public space without having to stumble upon somebody elses sexual encounter. I would have thought that was a fairly basic requirement.

Your words "looking for a bit of fun" railroads the whole notion of respecting people around you.

As LSPE says we have rights and duties whoever we are, and people should have a bit of self-control for heavens sake.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#36 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

Let's remember that the park is only *rumoured* to be a cruising ground.

There's no rumour. It's a gay cruising ground.

This area should be the local park for people living around the Croydon Transmitter. But the community as whole is unwilling to use it, and that has to end.

#37 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

There's definately a defense vibe regarding the lewd behaviour in the park being about gay men, but wouldn't it be the same if it was say a couple of older teenage hetero-couple going about 'business in the bushes'?

it would be the same ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#38 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

It is definately frowned upon in our society these days for any such lewd behavious occuring in public places where young kids may see etc

It's actually illegal: http://www.parliamen...3026.i-vii.html
74 Sexual activity in public - not to mention any number of other infringements should anyone in the vicinity be under 18.

#39 Paul.W

Paul.W

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

With regard to LSPE's comments about campaigning for adoption rights etc. I wonder whether many of the men who use the park for cruising actually identify themselves as being "gay." Voluntary groups have done some work on safer sex and found that many men who use cruising grounds have no contact with the "gay scene" and are quite often married men. For most gay men we have access to a wide range of opportunities to meet other guys (internet, sauna, clubs etc.) that weren't around 20/30 years ago. There is little need to go cruising in parks and apart from offending others you are very vulnerable (recent murder in Clapham Common highlighted this).
I would support the park being closed overnight and some day time policing to ensure the park is safe and used by all members of the community. I wouldn't consider the previous postings as being homophobic and I am sure the VN posters do not object to me as a gay man sunbathing in the park (with friends) during the day and behaving responsibly.

#40 beefqueen

beefqueen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

It's actually illegal: http://www.parliamen...3026.i-vii.html
74 Sexual activity in public - not to mention any number of other infringements should anyone in the vicinity be under 18.

Pedant alert: clause 74 of the Bill never made it into the final Act. It is illegal for people - gay or straight - to have sex in public (outraging public decency) but the general rule for all types of sex is that, unless it is being done in public view and people complain, the police won't be bothered. If a complaint is made, they'll ask the people to cover up. Only if it keeps going on will they become involved. That's sensible policing. And the fact that people aren't being arrested left, right and centre suggests that people aren't complaining and that people aren't letting it all hang out around others.

I wasn't suggesting people were anti-gay; I was only expressing my surprise that no-one had voiced concern for the brutal crime or the victim of it, instead concentrating - in a very value-laden way - about one of the many activities that take place in the park. But it does always surprise me how interested some people seem to be in what consenting men - who may or may not identify as gay - do with each other's private parts.

#41 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

I would support the park being closed overnight and some day time policing to ensure the park is safe and used by all members of the community. I wouldn't consider the previous postings as being homophobic and I am sure the VN posters do not object to me as a gay man sunbathing in the park (with friends) during the day and behaving responsibly.

Paul W - I certainly have no problem with anyone using the park regardless of their sexuality for sunbathing, walking dogs, Toboganning(Is that how you spell it?), Jogging, taking their family for a walk, reading a book, looking at the view or any other of a million and one legal activities that happen in a park. What I wouldn't want to see is a bunch of people (Gay/Straight/Bi or otherwise) cruising for some action, and reading through this thread I think this is what most of the other people are saying as well.

#42 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

it used to be my cut-through from the top of SN Hill to my home in Auckland Road.

Where exactly does it come out on the opposite side to SN Hill?

#43 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

Between the mini-roundabout and the doctor's surgery, there's a gate next to the block of flats set back from the road.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#44 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

I have created a page in our wiki, with a map and marked the positions of the top and bottom entrances for you.

See Beaulieu Heights

Please feel free to update the wiki page with useful information and history of the park (debatable comments are best made in the forum)

European.vote - EU Referendum

#45 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Thanks.

The aerial view on that page makes it seem huge but I imagine it can't be.