• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

I CAN'T WAAAAIIIIITTTTT ....... payday yesterday so BRING ON the retail therapy .... :wub:
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#17 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

Otherwise engaged all day saturday.

A real shame to miss it.

Yes Mendicant are a very, very good band.

Far better than Wetplay who ever it is whose number one in the album charts at the moment.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#18 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:57 AM

OK It's love our shops maYBE in the rain day but not to worry. Still fun for everyone! Stalls in the street, market, art. Come and eat from the street take aways, come and marvel as Dylan paints a huge mural on the old car showrooms or come and bag some home made bangers. Join us today and see what delights Church Road can offer when given the chance!! The weather may be fine but even if it is not you will get a sunny smile from all of us; your local traders.

#19 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

I've hurt my foot and am supposed to be resting and keeping it up on a pile of cushions, but I really didn't want to miss this!

So if you see someone hobbling around CP later on today with a bit of a limp, that will be me...

#20 miss_g

miss_g

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:01 AM

brilliant, thanks for my discount voucher !
quick everyone go and have a look, support the community!

#21 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

Had a lovely time there today! Picked up our green bags and vouchers and used them to purchase a delicious discount hot chocolate from 'Feast.' Also had a yummy pasty thing (dont really know what to call it!) from the Market Garden. Glad the weather is holding out for you!
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#22 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

we came we saw we bought we ate we loved every second...you see what you can all do!

#23 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:11 PM

Well I was a bit late, so think I missed the vouchers and the free bags, but I got a very bargainous eco-Tshirt from the eco shop, and a nice rosemary plant from the Alma garden market...so quite pleased all round! The sore foot managed to hold out and is now firmly parked back on the cushions for the duration of the evening...

#24 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

I thought it was a good kick-off --- I was expecting more stalls (sorry) but the turnout and the crowded streets were certainly a good boost for the business.

I have bought few bits and bobs. I can recommend the Italian Sausages from the guys from Beckenham - I was IMPRESSED - bit more peppery than the traditional ones but thumbs up.
Also bought some usual vegetables a present from the Burlesque stand (she does great stuff) and some ricotta cheese and pane carasau from the Mediterranea's stand .... coffee/croissants etc etc

I thought it was a good event and I look forward for new "happenings" ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#25 annette at vh

annette at vh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

thanks to everyone who came and supported the event on saturday. i hope you all agree there was a very satisfying vibe of community spirit around, and a frisson of excitement that 'this kind of thing' can happen here right on our doorstep. it was wonderful to see so many people along church rd in particular, and i hope it has inspired locals & visitors to the area to take a fresh look at the shops & businesses on offer on the triangle. if we all supported our local economy more, the shops already here would benefit and an increasingly thriving retail community would be a real incentive for others to open up new & interesting ventures. hundreds of discount vouchers were given away on the day, and i hope that these will encourage people to go into shops they maybe haven't been into before.

feedback is always useful, so do please add any constructive comments to this thread. ideas can then be taken back to the business partnership group (where this particular event was first discussed) for use in the future.

i agree completely that LOVE OUR SHOPS was a kick-off event, that's exactly what was intended, an event to showcase local talent & businesses and get everybody talking about the area. more stalls would be great definitely, but this time round it was really about celebrating the shops. i'm sure now that people have seen what is possible, more local shops will be inspired to participate. this whole event was organised on a wing & a prayer, with a handful of people & local businesses really going out of their way to make it happen. i for one received an enormous amount of warm & encouraging support from almost every single person i spoke to about it all, and i see this as a brilliant sign that we're all ready to move forward and 'make it happen' in crystal palace.

but to make it happen we do all need to take part: the more we celebrate our community, support our local economy, and love our shops, the brighter the future looks.

#26 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:22 PM

Hear hear. Well done, sounded great. We were away but would otherwise have come along with bells on. Are you doing it again soon?

#27 The americas

The americas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hello,

Been lurking on here for a long time now but first post. I was bringing the littlie'n to drama class and walked past it all. Called the other half and friend who had stayed in London after no way home after Friday night drinks. It was really lovely up in CP that afternoon a real pleasent feel to it. Said friend who moved to Oxted to get a country feel, said she couldn't believe what CP was like, she thought it was more urban and thought it was really 'trendy', she was genuinely surprised! (Helped to have such a lovely event to show off!)

Good feedback all round.

I've lived around this and neighbouring areas since I was a small girl and have seen the triangle change a lot over the years (I remember Tesco's and the camping shop when I was little and I do miss the penny sweet shack by GP station and the other sweet shop full of wonderful stuff that used to be housed at the top of Gipsy Hill!) and have seen a dramatic change in the area in the past 5 - 6 years.

Events like love our shops are great, please do more and I'll be sure to support them. (Now only to replace estate agents with something more useful!)

Well done everyone who got this event together.

#28 Green Thing

Green Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

Ah, thank you for your kind words. It was hard work (particularly carrying all those heavy picnic tables from the White Hart!) but appreciation like that makes it all worthwhile.

It was so lovely to see people enjoying themselves on Church Road, and going all the way round the Triangle instead of just half of it.

Thanks to everyone who came and hope to see you in our shops soon!