21 replies to this topic

#16 landgraf

landgraf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:42 AM

Hi, I am robert Landgraf in australia, I remember Tivoli road from somewhere
back in the recesses of my mind and the name Pidgeon also seems familiar.
We used to live in the gate house of the Jewish Orphanage around 1950 to
1955 where my father and grandfather were employed as resident engineers etc.
My parents with my sister and me left for AU in 1955 (i was 14yrs)
I believe the old gate house is still standing, anybody know what its used for
and why it wasnt pulled down as was the orphanage??
you can reply direct.

landgraf@austarnet.com.au thanks Bob.Landgraf

Please note my new email address landgraf@buzzbb.net

Also have been corresponding with Sid Alexander (he was Segal) when I knew him at the Orphanage.

Regards to all, Rob.Landgraf

#17 richard moore

richard moore

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

What makes me so sad is that I am informed that ken livingstone forced the orphange to close as he felt it was wrong to only help jewish people, back in the days of the GLC and he should no better as by what I have hear it was a good place and ken should know that as he was a paper boy for the road. sorry paper person

If he knew the history for why it was set up he should feel very guilty. in essance ther were problems in the jewish community. the government said to various well known welathy jewiish people sort your own problmes out or we will. So they did. and then no further cost to the state.

I think ken is ant semetic.

I am not religious and do not have strong views about religeon but if any communty clears up it's own mess than it is normally done better than any state based project.

Edited by richard moore, 11 March 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#18 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

What makes me so sad is that I am informed that ken livingstone forced the orphange to close as he felt it was wrong to only help jewish people, back in the days of the GLC and he should no better as by what I have hear it was a good place and ken should know that as he was a paper boy for the road. sorry paper person

The Orphanage closed in 1961 -Ken was 16 -maybe you mean Gabriel House which was open much later -anyway orphanages were somewhat out of fashion by the 1970s - move to fostering, changes in numbers of children going into care etc

If he knew the history for why it was set up he should feel very guilty. in essance ther were problems in the jewish community. the government said to various well known welathy jewiish people sort your own problmes out or we will. So they did. and then no further cost to the state.

I think ken is ant semetic.

Yes you may think that Ken is 'anti-semetic' (sic) but I don't you'll find any evidence of it in the real history of the Jewish Orphanages rather than your version. norwwod childcare

I am not religious and do not have strong views about religeon but if any communty clears up it's own mess than it is normally done better than any state based project.

Not very nice to call caring for children in need 'clearing up mess'.

#19 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

I can't stand Livingstone, but he's anti-Zionist, not anti-Semitic. An important distinction, given that so many Jews also oppose the Israeli state and its treatment of Palestinians.

#20 hhighburyhouse

hhighburyhouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

here is some more information about the Jewish orphanage.

I lived there for over 8 years between 1961-1970, there were private houses for groups of approx. 6-9 kids.
ours was in 17 Chatsworth Way, next door at 19, was another group, both run by so-called "house-parents".
I went to Kingsdale School & took "A" levels in 1969, some went to Tulse Hill Secondary.
From 1967 on I lived in the stately-looking Gabriel House, situated near Wolfington Rd. The entry was via the road
opposite West Norwood station. On the corner there was a sweets shops & in the grounds there was a small
house for the head gardener. Between his house & the Gabriel House there were 2 other houses, and a Synagogue
with a green, copper roof! There were various sports facilities and even the Synagogue had a partition to enable us
to play badminton & table-tennis.
I had a large room in the East wing of Gabriel, 2 other boys lived above the principal's flat (Jack & Eileen Wagman).
on the ground floor we had a large common room, kitchen, administrative office, a library (with translations of books
I took for latin "A" levels) all joined by a long hallway with fantastic acoustics. Mrs Wagman was a personality and a
chain-smoker. She often put on musicals with all the kids & invited (coerced) the local police to participate.
I have not been able to find a photo of the Gabriel building in the internet.
jamal

#21 hhighburyhouse

hhighburyhouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

fyi www.norwood.org.uk - www,20thcenturylondon.org.uk

#22 Green Man

Green Man

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

On Wolfington Road there is a very impressive building dating from the late 19th century with an ornate carving above the door saying 'The Arnold and Jane Gabriel Home'. It's now the offices of a housing association.

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but this is the building that's going to be the new primary school. It seems to me a school must be much more in keeping with its original use than housing association offices.