40 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hello everyone

Do you know of any allotment areas in the Crystal Palace area? I am looking for an allotment and would love to not go on a 5 year waiting list. I am going to check out the ones in Spa Hill, but there doesn't seem to be much else around. One search engine indicated allotments at Maberley St, but when I contacted Croydon council, they said they don't cover it.

thanks

#2 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:41 AM

There's one off of Biggin Hill.

Also. you may get more info at http://www.londonall...et/croydon.html.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#3 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:02 PM

I heard there's one in South Norwood, off Love Lane at the back of Beckenham Cemetery, and no-one knows who runs it so it's getting overgrown. Apparently there is or was some kind of club house there and they tried to get permission to build on it but nothing happened because it transpired the land wasn't theirs to muck around with. As far as I know, it remains just sitting there and council searches couldn't find an official owner.

Does anyone know if this is (still) the case? Nothing much comes up online.

Edited by Spoon, 17 June 2008 - 12:02 PM.

#4 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:09 PM

It's Maberley road - and its situation is probably right on the outer boundaries of both Croydon and Bromley - I can't definitively say which council covers it but I'm sure someone here can. A friend of mine had a patch there a few years back but didn't keep it up - I seem to remember there being a few empty plots as well, although times have changed and there may well be a waiting list now.

I'll ask him and see if he can shed any further light on the subject and report back...

Edited by jannism, 17 June 2008 - 12:11 PM.

#5 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

There are allotments down on Rosendale Road - They run along the train tracks between North Dulwich and Tulse Hill - I think they are in Lambeth, not sure though

#6 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

Yes these ones are definitely in Lambeth.

the only ones i know in the north end of the borough of Croydon (definitely within its boundaries) are Spa Hill allotments and Biggin Hill allotments.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#7 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

there use to be a couple on Auckland Hill, hidden away and you could only see them from the train - They are now just overgrown patches of weed, which is a shame

#8 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

Its really hard to find the allotments around here, and even harder to get any details. I think Bromley and Lewisham allotments are controlled through the councils, but many others need to you apply to the allotments managing 'Society'. I think one of the best things you can do is spend a Saturday or Sunday visiting a few to find out how you can join them.

You can use the site below to find the location of most allotments. But the locations are searched for using post code and borough, a real problem in our area. Do searches for all the local postcodes, and note down the name of the allotments your interested in, then attempt to find out how to join them
Our local postcodes are SE21, SE26, SE20, SE19, and SE27
http://www.london.go...allotments/map/

#9 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

there are also some in Dulwich - just by the golf club and Dulwich woods; cue breathy voiceover...'These are not just allotment; these are Dulwich allotments....'

#10 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

Our local postcodes are SE21, SE26, SE20, SE19, and SE27

And SE25 if you want the South Norwood ones. I think the switch from SE19 takes place around the Auckland/Lancaster Road handover point by the lake.

#11 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

The Rosendale allotments have a waiting of list of 450, according to one source. It would apparently take 5 years to get to the top of the list!

The allotments on Spa Hill are only available to those living in a 2 kilometre radius from the site.

The Dulwich allotments (the scenic ones near the wood) both have waiting lists.

Maberley Road is still the most interesting one to me. I think I'm going to head up there and see what I can find out. I did hear from the contact at Spa Hill that these are reserved for residents of Anerley only. if that is the case, I'll try Biggin Hill.

#12 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

there are some allotments near ClockHouse (Beckenham) not too far by bus/car if you fancy the driving - not sure about the links though
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#13 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

I've just spoken to my friend who had a plot at Maberley and he tells me he got it through a long-time member - not much help I'm afraid. He believes the land to be council owned but privately run and that there is also a waiting list but he doesn't know how long it is.

His advice was the action upon which you've already decided - namely to head up there and chat to one of the gardening folk. Good luck!

On a personal side-note - the raised beds in my garden are starting to look like proper veg patches now. Whoop whoop. :)

#14 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

The allotments on Spa Hill are only available to those living in a 2 kilometre radius from the site.

Not necessarily, though may involve a wait:

"Our policy is to give first priority to those who live within a kilometre, second priority to those who live between one and two kilometres from the site and to offer plots to those who live more than two kilometers away only when those living nearer have been satisfied. Subject to the priority policy the person who has been longest on the waiting list will be offered the next vacant plot."

#15 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

I read in the Croydon Advertiser at the weekend, that Croydon Council may want to use the allotments site in Spa Hill / Dale Park Road for the new 'super academy' merger between Westwood Girls school and Hayling Manor in South Croydon.

So Its worth checking out how long those particular allotments will be around for before you start planting anything!!