40 replies to this topic

#16 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:38 PM

Not necessarily, though may involve a wait:

"Our policy is to give first priority to those who live within a kilometre, second priority to those who live between one and two kilometres from the site and to offer plots to those who live more than two kilometers away only when those living nearer have been satisfied. Subject to the priority policy the person who has been longest on the waiting list will be offered the next vacant plot."

We got a plot in less than 6 months after going down there and volunteering. We got to show our faces and when a plot was available, we skipped the list. It's great down there.

I read in the Croydon Advertiser at the weekend, that Croydon Council may want to use the allotments site in Spa Hill / Dale Park Road for the new 'super academy' merger between Westwood Girls school and Hayling Manor in South Croydon.

So Its worth checking out how long those particular allotments will be around for before you start planting anything!!

Oh noes! Just seen this.

#17 funstuie

funstuie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

Just bumping this thread to see if you managed to find an allotment?

I have been looking for a year now with no luck. I was told I was on the list for Spa hill and that I would be due an allotment sometime this autumn but I have since been told that I am .2km outside their 1km limit for priority so I have been bumped down to the band 2 list which is about 5 years at the moment.

I have discovered allotments off Enmore Road but I have not found any details, I have also discovered ones behind Selhurst Station but again I have found no details, I have left messages at Biggin Hill bit heard nothing, Maberly is apparently at about 5 years at the moment.

I have asked about allotments in Bromley but they all seem to be council owned so I would probably not qualify.

Anyone know of any others near this area?

#18 Cllr John Getgood

Cllr John Getgood

John Getgood

• Sponsors
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

I have asked about allotments in Bromley but they all seem to be council owned so I would probably not qualify.

Allotments in Bromley are council owned but they are all leased to the plot holders'' allotment society. So it may be worth applying. However, I know that my local ones all have a waiting list.

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator

You can meet your Penge & Cator councillors on the first Saturday of every month,

outside the Post Office on Penge High Street, between 10.45 and 12.15. 
www.pengeandcatorcouncillors.co.uk

#19 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

There are the Churchfield Allotments on Beck Lane but I guess they come under Bromley.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#20 andybod

andybod

Time-zone challenged

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

I'm interested in developing a community allotment within 1 to 2km of home . . SE19 1SR.

I'm currently getting some advice from similar schemes running in Sheffield and Bristol. Initially I'm trying to judge level of interest locally (which I'm guessing might be quite high ?) before making approaches to various boroughs and councils. I'll be looking to see level of interest in this thread before perhaps seeing about arranging a non-virtual meeting to plan ways forward. My understanding is that a potential community allotment group has to be taken very seriously by the local council, especially if they areas of overgrown ex-allotments sitting dormant.

And, hey, sharing the work with and meeting like-minded people would surely be far more fun than slogging away on your own and getting back ache ?
Andy
Andy Bodycombe
Freelance Photojournalist
www.andybodycombe.com

#21 funstuie

funstuie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

I'm interested in developing a community allotment within 1 to 2km of home . . SE19 1SR.

I'm currently getting some advice from similar schemes running in Sheffield and Bristol. Initially I'm trying to judge level of interest locally (which I'm guessing might be quite high ?) before making approaches to various boroughs and councils. I'll be looking to see level of interest in this thread before perhaps seeing about arranging a non-virtual meeting to plan ways forward. My understanding is that a potential community allotment group has to be taken very seriously by the local council, especially if they areas of overgrown ex-allotments sitting dormant.

And, hey, sharing the work with and meeting like-minded people would surely be far more fun than slogging away on your own and getting back ache ?
Andy

I would be very interested in this but I am not too sure where there is land available. There are unused allotments behing South Norwood lake (I think they used to be love lane) and apparently a lot of the societies in the area (I know Spa Hill and Biggin Hill have both enquired) trying to get their hands on the land. Croydon council seem reluctant to give up any land for Allotments.

Definately keep me informed of your progress and I would up for a meeting if you get some numbers together. If I can help in anyway let me now.

#22 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

I don't know if it is true but I believe tha here is an ancient law that states that if 6 or more residents get together qand call for an allotment plot, the council must provide it.

#23 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

I'm still on the waiting list for the allotments on Grange Rd in Dulwich, or at least I hope so. Does seem to take a long time.

I occasionally pop up there to buy manure and compost for my garden and have a chat with the old folks that run the shop. It's a lovely spot which no doubt accounts for the long waiting list.

#24 funstuie

funstuie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

I'm still on the waiting list for the allotments on Grange Rd in Dulwich, or at least I hope so. Does seem to take a long time.

I occasionally pop up there to buy manure and compost for my garden and have a chat with the old folks that run the shop. It's a lovely spot which no doubt accounts for the long waiting list.

I am on the waiting list for every allotment within a 5 mile radius of SE19 and all the lists are between 2 and 5 years.

#25 andybod

andybod

Time-zone challenged

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

I don't know if it is true but I believe tha here is an ancient law that states that if 6 or more residents get together qand call for an allotment plot, the council must provide it.

I've heard something along those lines too from friends and family in Bristol and Sheffield. Am in touch with Bristol at the moment to see how best to approach Southwark (I'm just about in Southwark), Lambeth, Croydon, Bromley and Lewisham. Will keep you posted with posts here. If you're interested in getting a group together in readiness, feel free to send a private message so I can judge level of interest. Particularly keen on getting together with fellow flat dwellers who have no growing space of their own. All the best, Andy.
Andy Bodycombe
www.andybodycombe.com

#26 andybod

andybod

Time-zone challenged

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

Thought I'd bring this one back to life to judge level of interest for next spring. I've just been over to Spa Hill and joined as a member as well as offering to volunteer in their training plot. When I said that I lived in Gipsy Hill I was told the chances of getting a plot, or even sharing a plot, were close to zero. Still, I'm following advice of an earlier poster and trying to get my face known, offering other skills etc. and see what happens.

Someone mentioned land off "Love Lane" in an earlier post. Google maps appears to show a huge area of waste land between Elmers End and Harrington Road Tramlink stops, that clearly has been used as allotments in the past (you can still see the plot outlines!) Does anyone know if this land remains unused or has it been developed already?

I still prefer the idea of working with a group of like-minded people to share a plot rather than take on a big plot alone, if at all with waiting lists as they are.

Anyone else had a good experience of the Landshare scheme?

A
Andy Bodycombe
www.andybodycombe.com

#27 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

Google maps appears to show a huge area of waste land between Elmers End and Harrington Road Tramlink stops, that clearly has been used as allotments in the past (you can still see the plot outlines!) Does anyone know if this land remains unused or has it been developed already?

I think your referring to South Norwood Country Park, and its definitely not wasteland. Its designated a Local Nature Reserve. Its the site of the former Elmers End (Crystal Palace) sewage works (victorian reed beds rather than the modern industrial method). It was converted into a 'Country Park' when reed beds became impractical. I assume what might look like markings of allotments are either the old lines of reed beds, or recent meadow cutting.

There was a small area of allotments north-west of the Harrington Road Tramstop. It was removed for the tramline. Some of the old allotment land is not used but I assume Croydon will keep it clear because the 'planned' tram extension to Crystal Palace would need some of the land. [link to area of old allotment]

The only area locally that's council land, and has no current use, is the abandoned Orchard Playing Fields in Anerley. The land is in Bromley but is owned by Southwark who I believe are cynically holding onto the land in the hope they can sell if off for housing. [link]

#28 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

There's a spare block of land at 22(?) Beardell Street that's not being used, just down hill from the Crystal Palace Library. The private owners have been sitting on it for a few years and haven't done anything with it other then let it get overgrown. I wonder if it could be used for a few allotments, if the owners gave their permission, or whether there would be public liability issues.

#29 richardmoped

richardmoped

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

there use to be a couple on Auckland Hill, hidden away and you could only see them from the train - They are now just overgrown patches of weed, which is a shame

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out the fact that there are disused allotments on Auckland Hill. I lived on Auckland Hill for 7 years and didn't spot them!

Given the long waiting list for Rosendale it must be worth trying to get these allotments up and running again. I've written to Lambeth to see if they own them. If they do I think we only need 6 willing participants (and a bit of commitment) to get started.

They are down on the lambeth maps as 'allotment gardens' so fingers crossed.

google map of allotments

#30 Globex

Globex

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

Anyword on the allotments? I'm a willing participant if you need to make up the six...

Does anyone know who the best people to approach are?