40 replies to this topic

#31 Annam

Annam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out the fact that there are disused allotments on Auckland Hill. I lived on Auckland Hill for 7 years and didn't spot them!

Given the long waiting list for Rosendale it must be worth trying to get these allotments up and running again. I've written to Lambeth to see if they own them. If they do I think we only need 6 willing participants (and a bit of commitment) to get started.

They are down on the lambeth maps as 'allotment gardens' so fingers crossed.

google map of allotments

Hi there
I'm new to Virtual Norwood but saw your post about Aukland Hill allotments and am really keen to follow up. Did you receive a response from the Council? I'm willing to pursue further if you didn't but would be good to know where you got to. Anyone else still interested in pursuing this let me know and we can join forces.

Thanks
Anna

#32 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hi there
I'm new to Virtual Norwood but saw your post about Aukland Hill allotments and am really keen to follow up. Did you receive a response from the Council? I'm willing to pursue further if you didn't but would be good to know where you got to. Anyone else still interested in pursuing this let me know and we can join forces.

Thanks
Anna

Hi Anna, welcome to VN :)

#33 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

Yes, welcome to VN annam.

I used to have a share of an allotment on spa hill.
I loved it there and it has a really good ethnic mix with different ways of growing and using veg.

The characters and the politics were priceless.

A lady approached me when I first joined and asked if I wanted to buy a raffle ticket for the Christmas draw although she was waiting for her replacement book as another elderly lady had broken into her shed and sabotaged her raffle ticket book as she was jealous that she was selling more tickets than anyone else :blink:

They also held an emergency committee meeting to standardise lawn mower cutting heights!!

At the only AGM I attended, during the hosepipe ban, a decision was being made on what length of hose you could get away with as a spout. A huge row erupted as someone objected and said that a length of hose attached to a tap was actually a nozzle and not a spout. This resulted in all present taking sides and shouting at the others. It almost ended in fisty cuffs with one gent (from the nozzle camp, I think) being restrained by the chairman!!

I do miss it (and the characters :D ) but sadly couldn't keep on top of the work needed.

Good luck in your search for a plot.

#34 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

Hermit that sounds like about five new episodes for a fly-on-the-wall, maybe Firmament or whatever they are called will make you an offer.

#35 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:25 AM

Haha Hermit your allotment experience sounds pretty much the same as mine. Whereas we were welcomed with open arms last yr, and helped out once a month in the allotment shop and at quarterly bonfires and cleanups, the members of the committee (good friends of ours) who put us forward fell out with the vice-chairwoman and treasurer (both 80+ little old ladies who do NOT like change), and now we're rarely spoken to (and often glared at). This will most definitely be our last season. Have enjoyed the growing experience though, and learnt a lot about vegetables :lol:
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#36 Mobsy

Mobsy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

Yes, welcome to VN annam.

I used to have a share of an allotment on spa hill.
I loved it there and it has a really good ethnic mix with different ways of growing and using veg.

The characters and the politics were priceless.

A lady approached me when I first joined and asked if I wanted to buy a raffle ticket for the Christmas draw although she was waiting for her replacement book as another elderly lady had broken into her shed and sabotaged her raffle ticket book as she was jealous that she was selling more tickets than anyone else :blink:

They also held an emergency committee meeting to standardise lawn mower cutting heights!!

At the only AGM I attended, during the hosepipe ban, a decision was being made on what length of hose you could get away with as a spout. A huge row erupted as someone objected and said that a length of hose attached to a tap was actually a nozzle and not a spout. This resulted in all present taking sides and shouting at the others. It almost ended in fisty cuffs with one gent (from the nozzle camp, I think) being restrained by the chairman!!

I do miss it (and the characters :D ) but sadly couldn't keep on top of the work needed.

Good luck in your search for a plot.

Hilarious ! Thx Hermit - Just read this and it's made my day already

If I knew the first thing about growing vegetables I'd get an allotment just for the politics.

#37 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for replies on that :)
Moc, I also worked in the shop once a month back in the Don and Antonia days.
My 'training' involved the usual eccentric committee members role playing as customers and paying with imaginary money!(I had to bite my lip very hard)

Another meeting I went to, I was bribed with a free bacon roll to put my hand up every time I was prodded in the back with a bamboo cane. Not sure who I voted in but felt I did my bit.

Edited by Hermit, 26 July 2011 - 08:46 PM.

#38 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:38 AM

Another meeting I went to, I was bribed with a free bacon roll to put my hand up every time I was prodded in the back with a bamboo cane. Not sure who I voted in but felt I did my bit.

Now we know your price! :D :P

#39 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

:lol: :lol:

One AGM I went to a couple of yrs ago, the Chairwoman fell asleep on the stage, and the Vice-Chairwoman told someone off for asking a question - " You can ask questions when I've finished" And then, after a moment "So. Any questions?"
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#40 SparkyUK

SparkyUK

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:50 PM

Any word on these allotments? Did Lambeth ever get back to you? I'm very interested as have been on surrounding allotment waiting lists for years now and think that route may be a bit futile...

#41 kaer

kaer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

In case anyone is curious, I got an allotment down at Bensham Manor Allotments. Off Pawson's road. Near Mayday University Hospital. 1.5 miles from my house.

http://www.benshamma...f=data_home&a=0

Was on the waiting list for about 2 months.

But it's only around this time of the year that they give out the new ones, as rent is due start of November. Only been done one weekend so far, so don't know much about the politics etc.