• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

I've come home to find my kitchen swarming with ants, seemingly out of nowhere.

Does anyone have any recommendations for anyone local who could help with this - or is it easier just to go to Rentokil?

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

#2 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

A quick fix is to use fly-spray, which is handy because it goes underneath kitchen units easily and doesn't leave powder all over the place, then find out where they came in and put down ant-powder on their routes.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#3 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:35 AM

They are coming out from behind a kitchen cabinet, so getting a spray in there might be a little tricky - and also rather worryingly I can see all the sawdust they've left from chewing the innards of the cabinet - so hope it's not all suddenly going to collapse on me!

#4 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

If it is a floor mounted cabinet, you can often reach the back from the inside. There is usually a gap at the top of the rear panel that you could spray into. If there are drawers, remove them to get to the panel.

Another good way of getting rid of ants, particularly if they are coming through a crack is to use a steam cleaner or boiling water. However, do take care.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#5 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

Unfortunately it's wall-mounted - they're coming out of the gap between wall and cupboard at the bottom - so can't do a lot with hot water as I can't pour upwards! I might try a bit of steam though...but perhaps best left to the professionals

#6 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

You can get propriety ant killer from any hardware shop (eg Hollybush stores). I know they can be quite alarming but if you gat the kind that the ants take back to their nest you will find the problem solved very quickly. make sure their is no food source around, particularly sugar.
I am surprised all the same that your cabinets are being dismantled - more typical of termites - but I don't think termites are present in the UK!

#7 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

In the end, I got a proper spraying job done by this company:
http://www.apest.co.uk/

- London-wide, but the very professional and friendly buy who came to my house said he only lived a couple of miles from me, so based on that I'd say they would probably be a good call for anyone else in the area needing a similar job done.

They came out on Sunday, which was a bit of a miracle as I wasn't expecting anyone to do the job at such short notice and on a Sunday too.

I also have a real problem with those nasty clothes moths, mainly upstairs, and the verdict on this seems to be a much more intensive spraying job, all clothes have to be dry-cleaned or boiled at high temperatures - and this is the really tough bit, then left in sealed bin liners for a MONTH to allow all the moth larvae/eggs to die off. Which does rather leave the question of what I will wear during that month while the treatment takes effect...

Anyone had any experience dealing with moths at all, or recommendations? (I seem to be having bad luck with insects lately...someone said to me I need to cultivate more friendly spiders in the house and then will have less trouble with moths!)

#8 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

Oh and the guy from Apest (he was a guy, not a 'buy' as I wrote for some reason) had never seen black ants eating through wood before, so he was as mystified as you were, Zirconium, but the evidence in terms of little piles of sawdust was there to be seen! He was pretty gobsmacked by it - are these evolutionary ants adapting to a new diet?

#9 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Have had terrible problems with squirrels in the attic over the last year or so. Have tried to do the humane thing by installing squirrel deterrants (useless waste of money) and then by blocking access and but they keep chewing through the soffats and getting back in :(

Regretfully I am going to have to go down the extermination route - does anyone know any relaible comanies who can do this?

#10 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Bump - has nobody else been plagued by squirrels?

#11 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Attached File  anti_squirrel_round_stickers-p217946829475658249en8ct_325.jpg   20.41KB   0 downloads

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

Not remotely helpful :(

#13 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Dogs , poison , or Croydon pest control charge £95.69 to remove the flying rats from properties . 0208 726 6200 .

Attached File  500px-Stop-Your-Dog-from-Killing-Squirrels-Step-7.jpg   48.58KB   0 downloads

#14 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Now THAT's helpful :) Thanks.

The cheapest quote I got was £149

#15 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Headlines from 2030

Ozone , created by electric cars, now killing millions.

White minorities still trying to have English recognised as the UK 's third language.

Children from two-parent, married, heterosexual families bullied in schools for being 'different'. Tolerance urged.

Manchester schoolgirl expelled for not wearing a Burqa.

Japan announces that they will no longer consume whale meat as whales are now extinct, and the scientific research fleet are unemployed.

UK Government has told the Japanese that Grey Squirrels taste like whale meat.

Britain now has ten Universities of Political Correctness.

Professor Goldman of LSPC says there is till a long way to go in the fight to stop people saying what they think.

Britain 's deficit £10 trillion and rising. Government declares return to surplus in 100 years which is 300 years ahead of time. Prime Minister Mohammed Yousuf claims increased growth through more immigration is the secret to success.

Baby conceived naturally. Scientists stumped.

Iran still isolated. Physicists estimate at least ten more years before radioactivity decreases to safe levels.

France pleads for global help after being taken over by Islamic Countries.No other country comes forward.

Jose Manuel Rodrigez Bush says he will run for second term as US President in 2032.

Post Office raises price of stamps to £18 and reduces mail delivery to Wednesdays only.

After a ten-year, £75.8 billion study commissioned by the Labour Party, scientists prove diet and exercise is the key to weight loss.

Average weight of a British male drops to 18 stone.

Supreme Court rules punishment of criminals violates their civil and human rights. Victims to be held partly responsible for crime.

Average height of professional basketball players is now nine feet, seven inches.

New law requires that all nail clippers, screwdrivers, fly swatters and rolled-up newspapers must be registered by January 2035 as lethal weapons.

Inland Revenue sets lowest tax rate in decades at 75 per cent.

Bradford win FA Cup Final, beating Hindu Hornets 4-1

Not a million miles off I guess !

Dazza

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig