9 replies to this topic

#1 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hi there,

My iPod has frozen and doesn't want to play anymore - it simply stopped working while I was out for a run earlier, and nothing can persuade it to comeback to life (and it's not the battery). I am heartbroken and cheesed off!

Does anyone know of anywhere local where I could get it repaired?

Many thanks,
KK

#2 ChristineT

ChristineT

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hi Kitkat,

You could do worse than go on to Apple's website e.g. http://www.apple.com...t/ipod/five_rs/ and click on your model. Sometimes it can be such a simple solution, and if you go into an Apple shop, they will go through the same procedure, which you can do yourself, and charge you for it. There is also a discussion forum - http://discussions.a...t...14&tstart=0, though I haven't delved very deeply into this. Good luck!

#3 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:34 PM

Kitkat, we're in the same boat. I missed the music in the end and bought another (little) one but Mr Spoon would like the big one back in action.

The little monsieur just won't turn on any more. It's looking like an appointment with the Apple store is in order - a drag. We've hardly used the thing in terms of endless abuse. It's never been for a run or anything. Nano is now filling in and Classic is in a drawer... Not good. If you find anyone, we'd be glad to know too.

#4 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - I did have a look online but still couldn't get the thing to work (tried everything!). However, after conking out for 2 days and being finally laid to rest in the fruit bowl, I picked it up last night... and it darn well started working again. Weird but am very happy to have it back in the land of the living!

So Spoon - the only solution I can recommend is fruit-based... :)

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hi Kitkat,

Glad you got your iPod working again. Was there any icon that showed up when you tried to reboot it? I've got an iPod photo and about 2 years ago it started playing up. When I rebooted it I got the 'sad iPod' icon. However, after some research on the internet, I discovered that hitting the top right corner of the iPod on a hard surface or even with the palm of your hand if you do it hard enough got it up and running again. Apparently, this malfunction is caused by some component located in that spot and hitting it jolts it into action again! Anyway, I had to do this every now and again for a couple of months but since then I've had no problems at all. Of course, this message will be a cue for it to break now ;) .

Anyway, this thread details the 'official' and 'unofficial' ways of performing iPod surgery:

Apple -Support - Discussion - Exclamation mark or sad iPod
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 spenge

spenge

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

My photo iPod conked out last year, took it to the Apple store who said it was not repairable so bought a new shiny one, a few weeks later the hard drive on my mac conked out. I left it in a drawer for a little while and got it out and it started up, I attached it to my new mac and was able to restore and touch wood it has worked fine since!, so one of the things worth checking is the hard drive on your pc as I am guessing it corrupted my iPod!!. I have tried smacking it on the back with someones at work and strangely it did the trick!. Apple discussions boards are very helpful though. There are lots of places online that you can send your iPod to for repair.

#7 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for ideas - much appreciated!

Gekko - when it conked out I got a blank screen with lines (like a badly tuned black and white tv...) and half an Apple, faintly. And nothing else, till it started working again.

Mine must be the same age as yours, both, so will try and smacking solution next time (and am sure there will be one...) and check the discussion threads.

#8 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:18 PM

With all these disk failures it only seems sensible to mention a backup solution that I've recently discovered. It's called Crashplan. It works on PCs, Macs and Linux, comes with a 30 day free trial and creates an off-site backup of your disk. You can select whether to backup all your files or just a few key ones, and if anything changes it automatically updates. You can opt to use a friend's spare disk space (or another PC) for your backups and if you do it that way the storage is free... otherwise you can pay a very small subscription and use their servers. Data is compressed, encrypted and verified for extra peace of mind. If anyone fancies giving it a whirl and would like a testing buddy I'm happy to help by offering a bit of my own disk space for your files - just a few MB on a temporary basis so you can see how it works - just to get you started. Contact me by PM after you've installed the software and I'll send an invite to you. Visit http://www.crashplan.com for information and downloads (n.b. this is just a friendly offer... I'm not earning any commission for mentioning this product and I won't be able to read your data - there's nothing in it for me)

European.vote - EU Referendum

#9 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

So Spoon - the only solution I can recommend is fruit-based... :)

Thanks. Right, I'm going to show it a banana later. If I don't report back, you can presume it laughed in my face and I have nothing to tell.

Congrats on your return to the sound of music.

#10 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:13 PM

My son is an electronics engineer and repairs iPods in his spare time, which often means replacing the hard disk. Please PM me if interested...
aka Pie