Saving Money

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

Regardless of the economic outlook I'm sure that saving money is something we'd all like to do.

If you have a money saving tip perhaps you could add it here?

A few of mine are:

1/ lowering the temperature of the hot water thermostat and shortening the time that the hot water is on

2/ getting a bread maker from Argos for 30 and making bread at home - cheaper bread, less wasted, fresher

3/ when buying online doing a quick search for voucher codes to maximise available discounts

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

To add to point 3, have a look on Hotukdeals before buying something online. There are normally some good deals and vouchers on there...

Edited by ged, 07 July 2008 - 04:35 PM.

#3 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

• If you are in a mid/higher rated band property with only 2 or 3 people living there, get Thames Water to fit a meter. Our water bill has fallen by 165 a year.
  • Use timers to switch off electrical equipment (TV, Freeview boxes, PC monitor, modems, chargers, etc.) when not in use (i.e. overnight or during weekdays). Our annual kWh used fell by 20% in the first year. Also good for the environment.
  • For elderly relatives or neighbours living on their own, make sure they are claiming the 25% discount on their Council Tax.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#4 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

If you see an offer in any supermarket like buy one get one free or two for one etc but they have run out of the items - ask at customer services for a voucher, this will entitle you to the offer at a later date (even if the offer has expired).

#5 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

buy one get one free or two for one

...and if you don't need two and don't think there's much chance you'll use the second one before it's gone mouldy - leave it on the shelf! Not really a moneysaving tip as such, but you know it makes sense... ;)

#6 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:55 AM

This thread reminds me of Viz's "top tips" one of which I seem to recall was to save ironing clothes donate them to a charity shop and then buy them back again - not really a money saver but it might cut your lecky bill

#7 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

keep a budget (possibly on excel) and stick to it - you'll know how much you can spend every month/week/day and you can work around those figures when you do your shopping. If you have time, for the first few months write down everything you spend (from papers to cinema) so you know where your money goes - you'll be surprised!!

try to stick to fresh food and avoid pre-packed

minimise the amount of snack (chips/biscuits) you buy as they are usually expensive and they add little health value

... I will think about more .....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#8 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:45 AM

Buy your Victoria tea and coffee from the little place next to Pacha on the other side of the bus station. 60p a cup.

Or just wait until you get to work and make one there... Designer coffees are the biggest rip-off I've ever seen. I mean, 2.50 for a hot drink? Come on!!

Other tips:
- use freecycle
- holiday in the UK. I've been to a few places overseas, but I'm constantly suprised at the riches we have here at home
- if you're going to buy a bike, check to see if your employer runs a "cycle to work scheme". It could mean getting your bike tax free
- stop using the gym. there's already one outside called "outdoors"
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#9 akaspan

akaspan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

Always eat out using Toptable- they have lots of great deals in central London ranging from 50% off total food bill to discounted fixed price menus. I don't think they feature many restaurants in CP area yet (all I could find was Viva Goa), though they do seem to be slowly venturing further south and I think are open to suggestions. Since discovering it I now make a point of never eating out for full price in London. And every time you book a table you collect points which can be used to get free meals (I've managed three 3 course meals in the past couple of years!).

Also think Moneysavingexpert website is brill, particularly for insurance and booking flights (their search engine looks up all cheapy flights within a certain time period, under a certain price- beats the airline websites where you have to keep on going back and changing the date to the find the cheapest tickets).

#10 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:19 AM

Akaspan, you jogged my memory on insurance. I collected together as many car insurance freephone numbers as possible, so that when renewal time comes it's cheaper to do the ring around... http://insurance.quo...arinsurance.php

European.vote - EU Referendum

#11 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:23 AM

I'm sure I have mentioned this before www.quidco.com this is especially useful if like me you spend a lot online . This site gives you a percentage of your purchase back just for clicking thru to the site you are going to purchase from.

But Money Savings expert is a website run by Martin Lewis & basically is all about saving the average Joe thousands of pounds.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#12 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

Got to second Dazza on quidco. A quick example was a car insurance quote from moneysupermarket; found the cheapest option - then purchased through quidco with a 45 quid cashback. Just remember that cookies can mess up the quidco tracking so either clear cookies or else use one browser for your research and a separate one for your quidco purchases.

#13 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

Growing your own veg and herbs is an easy option if you have a garden - and as I've only just got my first ever garden I'm still a blissful advocate.

So far my veg (tomatoes and courgette) are still growing, but my herb garden is coming along nicely & was great to make my first Mojito with my own garden mint!

Also food waste is not wasted...because you can compost it. (I'm just putting vegetable/fruit waste into my compost at the moment, as I'm worried about rats - but things like tea bags should be OK in the compost, shouldn't they?).

Definitely agree that the BOGOF deals are only worth doing if it's something non-perishable that can be frozen - supermarkets quite often seem to do BOGOF or money off deals on fresh pasta which is a good buy - as you can pop one in the freezer for later and use one on the day. Although if you're really trying to save money then dried pasta is better...but those fresh ravioli/tortellini with fillings are just too nice!

Milk bought from the corner shop is usually a bad investment - goes off much more quickly than supermarket milk. And milk can be frozen, I keep forgetting to do that myself...

#14 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

don't buy bottled water. Its not only a rip-off but unnecessary in London (the water is good here), and bad for the environment as you are paying to package and move something that is very heavy and that comes to you for free in the tap.

#15 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

Interesting, Ziwa. I can't agree. I find London/south east water comparatively (with, say, Devon) very hard and have either a water filter or buy bottled for straight drinking (admittedly not for washing veg, etc). The filter would be my money-saving tip for not buying bottled! I agree tap water would be a wonderful saving but - to me - it's awful here. Make two cups of tea with a bag in each cup, one with filtered water, one without. When you pour on filtered, you can still see the bottom of the cup!

And filters are currently on offer in CP Sainsbury's - that's my saving tip for the day. (The cartridges can be recycled.)