• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:03 PM

How do you recycle the cartridges, Spoon, if that's not a stupid question? I am pretty sure Lambeth won't take them. (But oculd be wrong.) So many thing 'can' be recylced but it's not clear how.
Rachel
My link

#17 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

no disagreement on a filter. I happen not to be as sensitive to tea tastes, being not of original tea-drinking stock, but I do understand that there is a huge difference if the water is hard in a cuppa. We discuss this very point endlessly in the office. It might be worth knowing that hard water is supposed to be much better for circulatory problems - lowers your incidence of heart attacks, so for simple glugging, maybe go with the tap, but for delicate sipping and brewing of tea, filter it. Just don't buy water that has been shipped in a plastic bottle from a far away place.

Thanks for the tip on filters! I am planning to get one for the office.

#18 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

How do you recycle the cartridges, Spoon, if that's not a stupid question? I am pretty sure Lambeth won't take them. (But oculd be wrong.) So many thing 'can' be recylced but it's not clear how.

I chuck them in the plastic section of the council's domestic collection. Not yet had one left behind. But then that's Croydon. No experience of Lambeth.

Ziwa - I need a new filter too. They have red ones at the mo! Also on offer. Very stylish ;) Sadly (but making-the-pointly), you have to consider what won't show the hard water scum marks so quickly - black-top ones are no good round our way. Even with a white one, I was always scrubbing off. Maybe I should just get a life and all my problems would be solved!

#19 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

I thought hard water gives you stones in the kidneys? (OK I am not a Scientist but that's what my Mum says so I believe her! Not that I have much of a choice)

Re tip on the gym: I agree it would be ideal to do more sport outdoor but with this English weather it is hardly possible + it get's so dark in winter and I won't trust using the parks late at night after work to be honest.

Re pasta: you can make your own at home and freeze it ... believe me it's EASY !!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#20 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:51 PM

Not a money-saving tip - but just on the subject of the fresh pasta, I used to eat lots of it until I actually read the label one day and realised how much salt they contain - yikes! :o

#21 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

LSPE - you are right! See this article by a bunch of Italian researchers (is it all the limestone and marble that make this more of a concern in Italy?)
http://content.karge...ArtikelNr=46301

This is the story I remembered about heart disease: http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/3396141.stm

and this piece says:
http://www.interneth...p;Lifestyle.htm
"When looking at the research, two facts stand out there is a definite relationship, a clear association between water hardness and heart disease mortality. We should try to drink water that has approximately 170 mg/L of hardness; the level found in Great Britain. Second, there is a definite relationship with TDS (total dissolved solids) and heart disease mortality. Higher levels of TDS results in less heart disease. Proper levels of hardness and TDS are two of the beneficial properties in drinking water constituting a healthy drinking water."

SOO.....you shouldn't filter and should drink tap water if you are worried about your ticker, yet you should drink soft water if you worry about your wizzler (and its upstream plumbing system).
Best to stick to wine!

#22 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:59 AM

couldn't agree more - wine it is!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#23 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

A few things I do:

Don't buy coffee on the go.
Take/make my own breakfast and lunch to work.
Use quidco for everything I can.
Run in the park instead of getting a gym membership.
Check for best deals on electricity, phone & broadband, all insurance and assurance policies.
Buy 2 for one offers and either freeze some or cook a large amount and freeze some of the cooked meal.

But my number one money saver over the last few years... stop smoking! I can also highly recommend moneysavingexpert.com. It's not about being tight, just about getting the best deals on the things you buy and use.

#24 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

You can use your credit card on large purchases without paying a surcharge. There's a loophole in the merchant's terms with the card company described in more detail here... http://www.summarybo...edit-card.shtml

European.vote - EU Referendum

#25 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

"...as per both the MasterCard and Visa merchant agreements, a participating merchant must accept that credit card (assuming it is valid and approved) for all purchases. The merchant cannot, by policy or practice, decide which transactions it will allow and which it will not."

does it ean that the minimum spending on debit or credit cards at bars is also "illegal"?
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#26 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

Merchants are not supposed to set a minimum or maximum transaction amount... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13806200/

#27 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

But it's so common and works entirely against saving money. Like buying a drink you didn't really have a home for just to "make it up to a tenner". Rip. Off.

#28 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

Using a credit card can be a way of saving money if you get cash back rewards and pay your balance off each month. So if for example you are buying a car for 10k and you get 1% cashback, that's worth 100. You may be deterred from getting that benefit if the dealer says there is a 2% card handling fee but technically, if you agree the price 'on finance' they can't stop you pulling out the plastic and avoiding their extra charge.

#29 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:23 PM

don't buy bottled water. Its not only a rip-off but unnecessary in London (the water is good here), and bad for the environment as you are paying to package and move something that is very heavy and that comes to you for free in the tap.

Until it starts to come out of the tap sparkling, I will continue to buy bottled fizzy water. Although I don't buy bottled still water.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#30 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:51 PM

I have an american express card ( Nectar ) just for joining I got 6000 nectar points I use sainsburys regular & every time I purchase from ther I use this Amex card in conjunction with my nectar card I get doulbe the point as each card gives me 2 poins for 1 spent. So in total I get 4 points for every pound. I also buy items via the nectar website which has treble points offer & use in conjunction with my Amex card. So sometimes I get 8 points per pound spent.

I spend them at Xmas & usually have over 300 in points.

Last year I used a majority of these for 3 return train tickets on eurostar.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig