69 replies to this topic

#31 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

Nectar is very good. I try to look out for their online shop links and use BP when possible.

#32 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:21 PM

The other half works for Nectar - should use you as a case study Dazza!

#33 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

Nectar cards - I can't stand the blummin' things. I hate the idea of making supermarkets even more powerful and invasive than they are... They're all screwing British farmers over in their own way, but I just can't avoid using them! Double edged sword I guess.

As for money saving, try fixing things before you throw them away. Managed to get my hoover up and running again a year or so ago, although it's still slightly tempermental. And get shoes resoled.

I read somewhere recently (possibly on VN) that when having a takeaway, boil your own rice and just buy the main dishes. That's where most of the flavour is anyway.

And take packed lunches for motorway journeys. The prices being charged at service stations these days is silly.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#34 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

Elmo welcome to George Orwells world big brother mate.

If you cant beat them join them.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#35 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

http://www.offerofth...co.uk/index.asp

Offer of the day website another goody site which highlights all products that have recently been reduced in price.
Always use this in conjunction with hot deals site where you can search for discount voucher codes which sometimes gives you up to a further 20% of the sale price.

Dazza

#36 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

And get shoes resoled.

How very 20th Century; you'll be suggesting darning socks next :D .

I just realised I don't really have many money-saving tips, which must mean that I'm incredibly wasteful and probably throwing away hundreds of pounds a year. I do have plenty of time-saving tips though, many of which involve spending money unfortunately!! Actually, it's not strictly true. When Diamond quoted to renew my car insurance last month (I'd been with them for 2 years) I was able to tell them where to go with the help of Money Supermarket and Confused.com. I also grew my own veg for a couple of years, although to be honest the initial layout for this is quite high. Seeds are cheap but peat-free organic compost, pots, seed trays and gardening tools are not plus trying to water your veggies every day during a hosepipe ban is not great if you are short on time. If you want to grow your own veg economically you do need to have a long term vision.

One final point that I'd like to make about the shopping-around culture is that I do miss being able to exercise brand loyalty. Shopping around every year for car insurance, home insurance, life assurance, unemployment/sickness insurance, phone plans, utility plans, credit card deals... is bloody exhausting. It seems like there's something that comes up for renewal every month and you have to spend a few hours bashing away on the internet and then endless time listening to recorded messages and dodgy hold music while waiting to barter with your current provider. It would be nice if someone actually made you feel that your loyalty was appreciated for a change. I've been with my phone company for 10 years this year and they don't even bother to contact me to offer me phone upgrades anymore. They'd rather go after new business than say thanks to those who have stayed with them for years.

Apologies for the serious post to what is a very useful and practical thread!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#37 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

All useful tips!

So, I was wondering how people deal with life and disability insurance insurance? It is very expensive. Is it necessary/worthwhile?
(I imagine I might start either too much discussion with this, or none at all as it might be a highly personal thing).

#38 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

Good question Ziwa - I've started a new topic for it here...
http://www.virtualno...?showtopic=6131

European.vote - EU Referendum

#39 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:21 PM

I've been with my phone company for 10 years this year and they don't even bother to contact me to offer me phone upgrades anymore. They'd rather go after new business than say thanks to those who have stayed with them for years.

This is something that really annoys me as well. Why companies offer incentives to change to them and not to existing customers to stay with them is beyond me. Their money is presumably just as good! It's the same with savings accounts, you have to keep shopping around for the best interest rate. Presumably most people just don't bother and I can understand why, having just gone through the same painful process for car insurance (and why have premiums gone up so much?)
aka Pie

#40 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

RE: The American Express Nectar, I prefer the cashback credit cards. 5% initial cashback then up to 1.5%:

http://www.moneysavi...ck-credit-cards

I prefer these because I get to use the savings on anything I spend, not limited to nectar partners or offers.

#41 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

A tip I remembered today. Don't bother with mobile phone upgrades... if you're happy with your phone (as I am with my w880i) then just go on a sim only contract.

Check out these from T-Mobile:
http://www.t-mobile....rd/pay-monthly/
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#42 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:05 PM

One good way of getting expensive foods that you might normally avoid buying - ask for them as presents! I was given some posh olive oil for Christmas a while back and it's still going strong.

Or when people are going on holiday, bringing back some olive oil or balsamic vinegar much more useful than a sombrero or straw donkey!

#43 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

If you are a virgin customer you can buy a sim for 10 a month you just unlock your existing mobile phone & hey presto I have 300 minutes & 300 texts each month for 10 . Unless you are a slave to mobile phone fashion this is a great deal I bet not many people can better that deal.

Dazza

PS I can also cancel my contract at any time .

Edited by Dazza, 11 July 2008 - 08:23 AM.

#44 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

I've also still got my phone more than 2 years on. I don't see the need for a new one every year. So I'm on the Talk & Text 600 plan with 3 and it costs me 10 a month, plus calls & texts excluded from the plan. It's typically about 15 a month. Even if my phone dies, I've got a spare one in the drawer.

#45 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:34 AM

Stay at home and have a few drinks with friends instead of going to the pub where you will pay 4 times as much for the drink, be forced to brave the elements for a smoke and doubtless be aggravated by having to wait ages to be served. This will also have the added benefit of (particularly in the case of the white hart) saving on laundry bills necessitated by being "kippered" by the onsite brasserrie thingy