• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

I was informed that when builders took the Edgingtons sign down it exposed the old Bryce Grant Stores sign.

Did anyone get a photo of the event?

#2 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

Missed it, I'm afraid - but tell us about Bryce Grant Stores...

#3 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:11 AM

Born in Wellington, Shropshire in about 1836, Bryce Grant spent time with the cotton spinners in Manchester when he was young and on migrating to London, he worked for Mr Snellgrove, later of the firm Marshall and Snellgrove of Oxford St.

He came to Penge in 1870, when it was still mostly common land and furze, and started a business in premises opposite the Triangle.

Among his many public interests, he started the Conservative Working Men's Club in Maple Rd and supported the YMCA and Salvation Army. He was the founder of the Penge Habitation, a member of the Dulwich Central Council, concerned with the Voluntary Early Closing Association, laid the foundation stone of the Penge Tabernacle, was twice Chairman of the UDC and eventually a JP.

When he died suddenly in 1916, the roads to St John's church were lined with mourners from representatives from so many associations. He left two sons, Alexander and Percy, to carry on the business. The shop called Bryce Grant in the Central Exchange of Penge High St was started in about 1922 by Alexander Bryce Grant primarily selling materials for home dress making, millinery, corsetry, curtains and other drapery, continuing as a successful
business together with P D Rogers Ltd, the other department store on the same side of the road. When Alexander (Alec) Bryce Grant died in August 1943, the business had not been running as a family concern for about two years.

After the war, times were changing and the old drapers shops were not in demand by busy working mothers and fashions that no longer demanded a new winter coat and hat each year and hand made summer dresses
fitting corseted 26 inch waists. The store closed in the early 50s.

The shop was taken over by HE Olby for about 10 years, followed by Edingtons which in its turn has closed.

If you go here and select Crystal Palace and Penge, then image 28 you will see Brice Grant Stores http://www.beckenham...uk/gallery.html

#4 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

Fantastic. Thanks. I wish I'd seen the uncovered shop sign. Presume it's covered over again now? Hope it's preserved beneath.

#5 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

Regrettably, I too missed it, and the whole shop front, including the signs, has been gutted. A couple of big letters from CENTRAL EXCHANGE high up the wall at the crossroads end are still there.

As to 26in waists, see this c1910 advert.

Another old sign is still visible at 111 Maple Road -- Bennett Mickley ironmongers which occupied several shops along that terrace and is shown in directories 1901-1968.

#6 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

That's brilliant - thanks for that. I'd heard Penge used to have a department store... but two???!

#7 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

I walked past Edginton's the other day... not much apparent sign of action behind the hoardings, but I had a close look at the frontage. Although most of any original sign has gone (impossible to tell if that is recent or long ago), at the far right is the remnant of what looks like a rather fine mosaic sign. Shame it didn't survive. Also revealed by the removal of the Edginton's sign are the old pull-down awnings, still rolled up as they probably have been for decades.

#8 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

Here is Alex Bryce-Grant's obituary from the Beckenham Journal.

#9 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Chris,

I know someone who knows someone who took a photo of the sign. I will track them down.

#10 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

Hello NickJ

Bennett Mickleys was next to an Off Licence on the corner of Maple Rd. and what was or still is Woodbine Grove and it was an ironmongers I don't think that you could really call it a
department store, It had a step up to get in and the floor used to be plain wooden planking , even as a kid I always had the feeling that I had to duck my head walking in there becouse
the ceiling was covered in just everything you could think of hanging there, and the salesman standing there in his brown overall coat, and it smelt like only an ironmongers could, wood,
metal,oil and all those kind of things. You could get just about everything there.

Edited by Anthony, 03 August 2008 - 12:59 PM.

#11 bebofpenge

bebofpenge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

Bennett Mickleys was next to an Off Licence on the corner of Maple Rd.

I bought a soldering iron from Bennett Mickleys around 1962. It has just worn out. The last time I walked past (about 2007) the name Bennett Mickleys was visible above the window of one of the three shops that they occupied.